The Top Shelf

sadly i do not. However, it appears that reprints are available, though not with the particular cover shown here.

cb


Stories of Strange Women (1906) is a compilation of short stories written by J. Y. F. Cooke who is also wrote "A Spray of Lilac" and "A Happy Little Adventure."

"This book provides an interesting look at female characters in literature both through a societal lens and a literary scope. Cooke's presentation of women is at times comical, other times dramatic, and even occasionally stereotypical. This book is amusing for anyone intrigued by short stories, women in literature, and the presentation of women who challenge typical social conventions.

The eight pieces presented in this book include: The Garments of a Girl, His Mistress and Her Maid, When the "Vestilinden" was Lost, Leave It Alone, A Light Woman's Reason, For Valour, Out of the Mire, and Joy Cometh In the Morning. Each story begins with several quotes that set the tone and mood of the story and pertain directly to the story's content; the quotes come from a range of sources and are shared in English and other varied languages. Societal expectations of women are presented through the plight of these characters and offer some situations which are meant to inform readers of the historic struggles of women.

Stories of Strange Women is a select collection of short stories crafted by J. Y. F. Cooke for the enjoyment of educated audiences. Cooke presents a range of female characters for the reader to analyze, understand, question, and sympathize with. For those interested in literature and the historic struggles of women, this is an entertaining book and a must read.'


Thanks for the information and quick review. I have been studying female creatively during the Victorian period.
 
i’ve always liked what’s on the top shelf. hadn’t seen it on page 1 in a while. maybe i’ve been sleeping too much.
 
Cassie keeps it going :)

Mollie is missed. Happy belated birthday Mollie, I thought about you last month when it rolled around. I hope you're well :rose:
 
i’ve always liked what’s on the top shelf. hadn’t seen it on page 1 in a while. maybe i’ve been sleeping too much.

Welcome standard - looks like I am the default host these days :eek:

Cassie keeps it going :)

Mollie is missed. Happy belated birthday Mollie, I thought about you last month when it rolled around. I hope you're well :rose:

Hi AF :)

I miss Mollie too. And others who used to post here from time to time.
And yes... I do my best to keep it going. This was the first thread that made me know for sure Lit was going to be a place for me. :rose:

https://66.media.tumblr.com/fe2aef6df17613fc02826cf397652f53/tumblr_psge7iYVQO1w7jnxz_540.jpg
 
Hey AF :)
Lovely to see you. I hope your summer has been wonderful.

Someone recently said they hadn't seen you around here for awhile.
Always glad to see you posting.

:rose:

cb:heart:
 
Hey AF :)
Lovely to see you. I hope your summer has been wonderful.

Someone recently said they hadn't seen you around here for awhile.
Always glad to see you posting.

:rose:

cb:heart:


Hi Sweetie, I just come and go.

did I spell that right? Whatever ;)

It's always nice to see you posting too :rose:
 
attachment.php
 
Last edited:
attachment.php


Home is more than just a place.

New Years Eve 2019
 
Last edited:
Back
Top