UK Lit-Together

LMFAO! for three days? I think that my only chance of a littogether is if some of you come here on your hols :)

Say you visited someone at hospital and came out with C.Difficile. Nobody will want you within a mile of your work place.

Scabies is another good one. Or you could say that you had intestinal worms, took the tablet, and want to wait at home for the worm's corpse to make its departure.

Basically, the more embarrassing your complaint is, the fewer questions you're likely to face.

You could even say you had a vaginal or anal prolapse :devil:
 
Say you visited someone at hospital and came out with C.Difficile. Nobody will want you within a mile of your work place.

Scabies is another good one. Or you could say that you had intestinal worms, took the tablet, and want to wait at home for the worm's corpse to make its departure.

Basically, the more embarrassing your complaint is, the fewer questions you're likely to face.

You could even say you had a vaginal or anal prolapse :devil:

I'm sure, if you asked, 'Zade would even phone in for you!
x
V


ps- Zade, God that made me laugh so hard. Thanks babe, love ya.
Mind you, if she has a male boss, then anything even vaguely gynaecological would work too
 
I'm a possible depending on location and timing.

I'd prefer something larger and less rural than a country B&B. If the Bournemouth meet was a pointer to how we behave, we could be evicted from a rural B&B for being "naughty boys and girls".:D

Og
 
I'm sure, if you asked, 'Zade would even phone in for you!
x
V


ps- Zade, God that made me laugh so hard. Thanks babe, love ya.
Mind you, if she has a male boss, then anything even vaguely gynaecological would work too


:D

Severe thrush... that's so bad you have to stay at home and ram the toilet brush up your v-notch so that you can relieve the itching :devil:

If it's a male boss "gynaecological problems" will do ;)
 
I'm a possible depending on location and timing.

I'd prefer something larger and less rural than a country B&B. If the Bournemouth meet was a pointer to how we behave, we could be evicted from a rural B&B for being "naughty boys and girls".:D

Og

I'm not being a square or anything, but I don't want to get evicted from anywhere...

How do people usually behave on Brit Lit-Togethers? Do I need to bring my stab-proof vest? :confused:
 
:D

Severe thrush... that's so bad you have to stay at home and ram the toilet brush up your v-notch so that you can relieve the itching :devil:

If it's a male boss "gynaecological problems" will do ;)

It didn't work for me. Most of my 150+ staff were female. In my late teens I was the first line supervisor of 25 women aged between 16 and 25. They made sure I learned more than I wanted to know about their inner workings.

I was also the Personnel Manager for 1000+ staff. Repeated gynae problems would be referred to the Occupation Health Service for "a chat".

To be fair most of the health "problems" were with young men with hangovers who used other excuses to be sick. One apprentice even apologised for a day's absence by self-certifying himself as suffering from a brain tumour. His supervisor didn't notice the "reason". When I queried the diagnosis the supervisor made enquiries. The apprentice's football team had just won promotion the night before the sick absence. A new self-certificate was provided specifying "upset stomach and headache". That was accepted with the supervisor's added note that a stern reprimand had been given, not for being hungover, but for being stupid.

Og
 
I'm not being a square or anything, but I don't want to get evicted from anywhere...

How do people usually behave on Brit Lit-Togethers? Do I need to bring my stab-proof vest? :confused:

Even I got told off :D


If we could fill the place, we'd not have to worry about disturbing anyone too much :D
 
I'm not being a square or anything, but I don't want to get evicted from anywhere...

How do people usually behave on Brit Lit-Togethers? Do I need to bring my stab-proof vest? :confused:

Earplugs might be useful to hand out to any other guests.

A nearby Gay night-club and a selection of hostelries might be useful in case we wear out our welcome in one or two...

Og
 
Earplugs might be useful to hand out to any other guests.

A nearby Gay night-club and a selection of hostelries might be useful in case we wear out our welcome in one or two...

Og

Wow ya Brits must be crazy...-chuckles- At our Chicago gathering, the security guard said that the hotel was quite well happy with us
 
Wow ya Brits must be crazy...-chuckles- At our Chicago gathering, the security guard said that the hotel was quite well happy with us

I don't think it was a coincidence that our evening walk around Bournemouth was shadowed by a marked Police car.

Og
 
Hey any ideas on how long this lit together is gonna last?

I think I'm in love again.:)

Last two meets were cancelled. One in Edinburgh and one that didn't get off the ground.
To be honest, either we're all poor or tight as a camel's arse in a sandstorm.

I'm in. I'm easy.


Sometimes Ken
 
Me too. Where-ever.

And I'll be travelling there from Yorkshire in a VW Passat estate car (50 mpg diesel) and very happy to offer lifts - which means that Leeds & Bradford airport is another possible arrival point (and I could go via Manchester - but this time, I really, really need to know what flight I'm meeting, at which terminal).

Being Yorkshire born and bred, lowish cost accommodation appeals, together with similar activities (gentle walks are good!) My experience of Brum (a conference) was £150 a night accommodation and £25 a day parking, which don't appeal - that translates into lots of booze (or rubbers)!

On the other hand, family B&Bs can look sideways at folk wandering between bedrooms - or just sitting in the lounge laughing and talking - at 2 or 4 am. A more commercial establishment seems less likely to be concerned about that. My experience of Brit Litters in the flesh is that they don't 'frighten the horses', but don't want a Methodist landlady worrying about her regulars who have to get up for work in the morning.

And just a thought about location: Stratford & similar are central for England, but are there any Scots going to come? It's well south of the centre of the UK... (Of course, if they can get to Leeds, I can give them a lift for the rest of the way.)
 
Hey any ideas on how long this lit together is gonna last?

The last 2 we've had lasted 3 days, with a 2 night stay.

The first was up in Bronte country, and came about because an exLiterate, Perdita from San Diego, was coming to UK and staying in the village of Haworth, where the Bronte's lived. Fifty 5 took up the reins and put out the word for any Lits who could, to come up and have our first ever meet. It took place in January 2004 (I think). Cold, wet, cold, wet.....but it was fun. 8 of us made it. Perdita, Myself, Ogg, Neonlyte, Just Legal, Patrick1, Gauche and......and.......and.......oh god, damn my menopausal memory....I can't remember his name, I am sosorry. We had a great time, the first night Dita, Fifty, Ogg and I spent a convivial evening together in a local hostelry, swapping stories. The next day, it rained (of course it did, it was Yorkshire in January), we were all picked up and driven miles into the stunning countryside to a village I can't remember the name of, to have lunch at a beautiful pub, which was the one used in the film 'Calendar Girls'. After lunch and much conversation, we went for a short walk along the roads nearby, back to the pub to spend more time together, I think some kind of literary activity went on, and around 5ish we all dispersed, saying our goodbyes. Dita and I returned to our B&B in Haworth, spent the evening in her room chatting, drinking (tea) before an early night as I had an early start in the morning.

Not an earth shattering itinerary, but thoroughly enjoyable.

The second took place in Bournemouth. Ogg, Fifty5, EL, Myself, Haldir, Tatelou, Black Tulip, Liar, and....and....and....and.....oh hell, why is my memory leaving me short of one name every time?? Tatelou was local, but the rest of us took up residence in the same B&B. Ye gods, what a place. The landlady/landlord weren't happy with anyone doing anything enjoyable. BT, EL and I were sitting in the resident's lounge on the first night, just drinking tea and chatting, when the landlord appeared at the door, glared at us, and asked us to be quiet, as they had guests who needed to sleep to get up for work early the next day! WTF?? Haldir and pal arrived back late, slightly jolly, and were severely chastised - seriously, the next morning for noise and misbehaving (they weren't honestly, never heard a thing), and threatened to eject us if we did it again !!! Won't be staying there again.

We spent the day driving around, and out of Bournemouth to the New Forest, to a delightful old world pub to have a delightful lunch, then out in to the forest for a walk, and back to the pub for real English tea. At that point EL and I had to leave, but the rest stayed on for another night, and if all reports are true, a gay old night was had by the rest in a local gay bar back in Bournemouth (Bournemouth has a thriving gay scene) before returning to the B&B and leaving the next day.

So, that kind of sets the tone for UK meets. We prefer to go out and 'see' and 'do', rather than stay in an'see' and 'do'.

Unfortunately,, the next planned one for Edinburgh, and then for Manchester, didn't get off the ground, simply because of lack of take up. Mostly because of timing I fear. The right dates are imperative if you want a good take up. And price of course.
 
Last edited:
we might could only make one night ....not sure what to do about kiddie yet
 
Possible solution to the accommodation problem - you can get Travelodge rooms for £21 a night, and there are lots of them dotted around Birmingham / Oxford.

Pluses
* More anonymous than a family-run B&B
* The price

Minuses
* Other guests might have a long drive in front of them the next day, and might not be too pleased if people are running around drunk, disturbing them until the early hours.
* We might have to drive to get anywhere.


I don't mind hiring a people carrier and doing the transporting, because I don't drink. But other than finding a campsite out in the Outer Hebrides, I don't know what we can do about the problem of other guests.

At the end of the day I'd feel pissed off if I'd booked a nice holiday and got disturbed in the early hours by a group of drunks.

I don't know quite what to suggest. :confused:
 
How would people feel about staying somewhere like this:

http://www.ukparks.com/park_details_top.asp?parkid=824&mode=1&record=2&themax=6&theQString=hdnObjectTrackerValue%3D%26hdnObjectTrackerName%3D%26hdnPageName%3Dsearch%2Easp%26strType%3Duksearch%26sltSpecialOffers%3D%26strField%3Dcaravanhire%26county%3D38%26Submit%3DSearch

Haven't looked into it in great detail, but it would sidestep the problem of pissy B&B proprietors.

Not sure how short their "short breaks" can be, but even if it doesn't suit our needs, there's bound to be dozens of others across the country.
 
Last edited:
Hi Zade,

The travelodge solution sounds hopeful - especially with a driver to get to some nightlife. There's one 8 miles from Stratford.

The caravan site looks lovely, but only seems to hire by the week. Mind you, that's only £100, so with 2 in a van, hiring for the week but only staying 2 or 3 nights still works out cheap, with the possibility of staying longer at no more cost if anyone wanted.
 
Back
Top