Why even bother?

EMAP

But you dont REALLY know what other people are thinking. You know what YOU think, and you have some degree of confidence for what your pals say to you. But all you know for certain is what you think.

Like I told SHEMP, I put my wares on the table; I get nothing if you accept them or reject them or ignore them. What you do or dont do has no material effect on their intrinsic value, though they may have a significant affect on your life, depending on what you do.

Just a thought: People may think you only approve ideas that are packaged in lucious bodies.

See what I mean?

Nice one, emap, by the by.
 
SHWENN

I believe in celophane wrappers. I believe I should be honest.

Way back when, a troll was like a kid with a can of spray paint decorating every surface with profanity. Today a troll is anyone who disgarees with you or has a better idea. 'Troll' is the mantra of halfwits with no arguments.
 
I know you do that James, Amicus on occassion is aware enough to as well, though most of the rest don't read what you say because of how you say it.

I'm sure you know the old adage, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar. In forums that speaks louder than actually trying to catch flies, if you word it nicely most people will read it, if you don't, most won't.

Not saying you have to, on occassion you actually aren't snide anyway, but it would help with the actually being read thing. I know you don't care and may not make a difference, but well heck think of it this way. Hitler would have stayed an artist instead of a power mad lunatic if he had simply gotten nicer reviews in Belgium. :eek:

OK so Hitler would have still been Hitler but would have taken longer for him to loop that far and wouldn't have as much support.
 
EMAP

Well, we can have a long debate about Hitler's motives and the landscape of Europe after the war. It may be accurate to say that the West made Hitler possible and inevitable.

As for me, I'm confident I wont get more gold stars if you and others like me. My ideas will remain the same, and thats what kills the deal.
 
'Troll' is the mantra of halfwits with no arguments.

Your only real argument is this: I am very smart. You are a retarded, halfwit, mongloid idiot. Therefore I am right and you are wrong. QED.

The only interesting thing about you is how hilarious it is to watch you make that argument over and over again.

And you have no idea what trolling is. You're not as smart as you think you are.
 
SHWENN

Here's my question to you: Why does it rile you?

Do you maybe suspect your own braincells are 90 pound weaklings? Fresh out of arguments for debate? Youre pissed cause maybe I'm right?

What I post bothers you because it touches a nerve.
 
SHWENN

Here's my question to you: Why does it rile you?

Do you maybe suspect your own braincells are 90 pound weaklings? Fresh out of arguments for debate? Youre pissed cause maybe I'm right?

What I post bothers you because it touches a nerve.

Believe me, I'm a moron. I never said I was smart. I'm not going to. I'm a complete idiot.

I'm not hurling insults at you, either. I didn't say you were stupid or a half-wit or anything like that. I told you that you aren't as smart as you think you are. That could be true and you could still be a pretty smart person. But that suggestion has definitely made you pretty irate, hasn't it?

Do your own tell it like it is, call a spade a spade rules apply to you at all. Or does your behavior have entirely different implicaitons simply because you engage in it? Ask yourself.
 
Internet arguments are as productive, or not, as the intentions of the participants. I've seen arguments here that ended in agreement. I've said; "oh, I get it-- I was wrong in my first assumptions." and I've seen other people do the same.

At other times, arguers can get validation and strength from the agreement of the group. This can be pretty important for someone's wellbeing!

And then there are people who, I assume, feel a little lighter once they've flung their poop at random bystanders. :rolleyes: Who confuse insults with argument-- who confuse insults with conversation, humor, and smalltalk, evidently.
 
SHWENN

I have the test scores for me, so I dont believe I'm any smarter than the test scores indicate.

One time a crazy woman walked in our hospital and told us there was a dead body outside, beneath a tree. Well, we knew how nuts she was, and dismissed her claim without checking it out. But there really was a dead body outside.

You keep appealing to me to be as smart (dum) as you think I am. That is, I can be OK if I conform to what you believe. What you want is validation and obedience. My response to you is: Go fuck yourself.

STELLA already knows I think she's a wackette.
 
It is raining on the Oregon Coast yet again and has placed me in a pensive mood...and for a change...I have the morning free to myself.

Varian P want to take the panties home and leave the party because it got too rough. I can understand that, come back when you get your courage back little one.

If, in a discussion, one person states they intend to use force to direct your life, control your future and that of your children...there is no debate possible, no discussion can resolve the issue of the use of force to gain your desired ends.

But for so long, since the ill-gotten 60's, the left has purported a righteous quest to save the planet regardless of the cost to humans in general and individuals in specific.

I am the usual 800 pound gorilla in the cage with you, who's name shall not be spoken, I don't mind at all.

When you preach Ozone layer, I remind you it is cyclical and non anthropogenic, not caused by man, but you never listen, content with your righteous belief.

Same with Global warming, ain't no such thing as a result of man. Climate change over time? Of course, hey, we even had glaciers in Minnesota just a few thousand years ago and they may be back.

Those issues can be supported by science and that really upsets you and so you turn it into a political issue, "I've got more scientists on my side than you! Neener, Neener!"

In the 1970's before a left wing supreme court changed things, abortion, taking the life of a child in the womb, was considered premeditated first degree murder and punished accordingly.

Homosexuals were formally classified as mental aberrations to be given clinical treatment.

Both issues, babies of the left, although a few have realized that partial birth abortion, that of sticking a needle in a babies head and sucking out its brains as it is being born, might push the issue into the gag category for even the most strident lefties.

A few have also realized that fifty years of women's liberation has managed to alienate the genders and drive them towards each other as women have become men in frilly business suits.

Discussion might be to speak of that....ah, but no, the Varian P's of this world assume the efficacy of equality as an absolute and refuse to budge from their catechisms.

I am going into my sixth year on this forum and I can tell you, civil, kind, gentle, persuasive...gets you absolutely nowhere, no one reads, no one comments.

I also have made it a special intent of mine to embarrass the liberal left community as much as possible to expose the true shallow depth of their belief's and their absolute inability to present an alternative system to human freedom and defend it.

They won't even try. I mean, like who can defend slavery?

But slavery is precisely what they advocate, in issue after issue, they want to tax you, force you, to live as they think you should live.

So, Varian P, and et al, you want to tax me, a childless parent, to educate your children? Tell me how you rationally justify that, please.

You want to tax me and then force me, as a Medical professional to work where you tell me, when you tell me and how you tell me for the benefit of free health care for all? I don't think so. Just how do you justify your dreams over my choices?

There is room for discussion, even, ala Roxanne, civil debate, but not when you hold a gun to my head and insist you have the 'right' to force me to support you.

Think on it, tootsie.

:cool:

Amicus
 
What you want is validation and obedience.

Wrong. I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt that I will never get either of those things from you. I will never get a kind word from you. I know that. That kind of certainty is rare and I have it on this topic. That's not what I'm after. I wouldn't even want it. It would be meaningless to me.

I feel that, the thing I'm after...I'm getting it in spades.
 
That wasn't accurate. It wouldn't be meaningless. I would actually feel bad about the way I just spent the better part of my day if it turned out you were capable of exhibiting humanity. For a moment, I would feel bad. I think I'd get over it pretty quickly, though.
 
SHWENN

Consider this: If I ever treat you kindly or praise your idea you'll trust the deed and not wonder about my sincerity.
 
SHWENN

Consider this: If I ever treat you kindly or praise your idea you'll trust the deed and not wonder about my sincerity.
Good luck with that.
STELLA already knows I think she's a wackette
I don't know that JBJ actually thinks anything about me, or anyone else. His comments are so reflexive, and have nothing to do with any topic.
They run the gamut of irrevelancy. It's like some kind of Tourettes syndrome.
 
Last edited:
SHWENN

Consider this: If I ever treat you kindly or praise your idea you'll trust the deed and not wonder about my sincerity.

Dude, you put no thought behind the litany of insults that spew forth from your fingers. I can't trust a thing you say. Ever. On anything. Any subject.

You put forth that 90% of the people here are numskulls.

I think you know that isn't true. I think you did it because you imagined my ego was as overweeing as yours is. You thought I would worry about whether you counted me among them.

No, I will never be able to trust what you say. I think your insults are lies. That calls everything else you write into question.
 
Is anyone actually open to hearing an opposing point of view, considering it, and actually (gasp!) seeing things differently?

Or are all our discussions just a lot of mental masturbation?

I like the constructive synthesis that can come from a civil exchange of ideas. I like to fashion myself a peacemaker, and one who can see multiple points of view.

Unfortunately, I seem to be a rarity.
 
I stopped being a Christian after a persuasive presentation.

Huh. I'm intrigued. I've known plenty of people who've gone atheist or agnostic or changed faith, but never due to a persuasive argument. How does reasoning get one to shed a belief that's rooted in faith, not intellect?
 
MiAmico said:
So, Varian P, and et al, you want to tax me, a childless parent, to educate your children? Tell me how you rationally justify that, please.
I've personally done this no end of times and with no answer. Here's another variation for you to ignore.

The money you make comes from the society in which you live. You have dues to pay.

Varian said:
How does reasoning get one to shed a belief that's rooted in faith, not intellect?
answer by MiAmico said:
That would be: Reality, Varian...
for any given value or reality.

Just because your arse says it's there, is that chair really there?

You experience things by your senses. Is everything you experience real or just your senses telling you? Same goes for logic, reality and reasoning.
 
Debate is rarely about [changing minds/teaching people things].

It's more often than not just a two-way social meet-and-greet. You get to present and clarify who you are in regard to issues, and you get to find out who others are.

It's a whetstone. That's what it is to me. It helps me strengthen my mind and it does the same for my opponent.

Yeah, both of your suggestions ring true. I was just thinking about how often it's the case that I don't see any real new light shed on an issue being discussed, but plenty of light is thrown on the discussants.

And certainly, if one takes the time to build a case to make their point, it forces them to work through the reasons they believe what they do, rather than just sitting with an unquestioned, long-held assumption.
 
I've seen arguments here that ended in agreement. I've said; "oh, I get it-- I was wrong in my first assumptions." and I've seen other people do the same.

Well, that's encouraging. I look forward to witnessing the miracle first-hand (being relatively new to this corner of Lit). :)
 
[QUOTE=gauchecritic;28475436]I've personally done this no end of times and with no answer. Here's another variation for you to ignore.

The money you make comes from the society in which you live. You have dues to pay.


for any given value or reality.

Just because your arse says it's there, is that chair really there?

You experience things by your senses. Is everything you experience real or just your senses telling you? Same goes for logic, reality and reasoning.[/QUOTE]



~~~

Ah, my lefty, lefty, you are back to the doubting Thomas stage and combative again, just when I had a few hopes for you.

I have dues to pay for the society I live in? Says who?

My essential debt to my society is to continue to advocate individual human freedom for each and afford them the opportunity to realize it.

You last part is a 'Pure and the gang', rejection of reality, a philosophical argument that died centuries ago. Just because most have not studied the dialectic of debate within the realm of formal philosophy does not mean you can fleece the crowd...someone will always call you out.

I do.

Amicus...
 
STELLA

Beginning about 1970 I trained my mind to process laterally NOT logically. I also studied Neuro-linguistic Programming for many years. That is, my brain searches for remote analogies that tend to confound reason. Here's an example:

Lets say you have 5 animals...snake, squirrel, skunk, sealion, and pig

Which is the odd-ball?

The correct answer is 'pig' because the common name of the pig begins with a 'p;' the others start with 's.'

But there's another answer: SNAKE. All the animals are mammals except for the snake.
 
GAUCHE

Nonsense.

The next time you have an abcessed tooth, go to the bank to get it fixed.
 
Balance Sheet ?

[QUOTE=gauchecritic;28475436]

I have dues to pay for the society I live in? Says who?

Amicus...


As you don't recognise the dues (debts) on society's ledger can we assume you also reject the credits? ie. that you will be refusing any socal security payments your society is willing to pay you.
 
Back
Top