Why even bother?

[Ah, my lefty, lefty, you are back to the doubting Thomas stage and combative again, just when I had a few hopes for you.

I have dues to pay for the society I live in? Says who?

The society in which you live? Can you not see the truth in that? You have been provided with things and there is a price to pay. Sheer economics should lead to that conclusion.

My essential debt to my society is to continue to advocate individual human freedom for each and afford them the opportunity to realize it.
by paying your dues.

You last part is a 'Pure and the gang', rejection of reality, a philosophical argument that died centuries ago. Just because most have not studied the dialectic of debate within the realm of formal philosophy does not mean you can fleece the crowd...someone will always call you out.

I do.

Amicus...

Just when did it die? When did existential debate absolutely convince philosophers that there is no contact between the extended and the unextended?

Once again I call you dualist and deny your existence. (see if you can catch that one)
 
SHWENN

I dont require your approval or validation. I already have the diplomas and test scores and testimonials. Your agreement isnt a fucking crown.

Why should I care whether you like my responses? If youhave better wares toss them on the table so people can compare and decide. Otherwise youre no different than 90% of the numskulls who post here, you think screaming TROLL is a superior mousetrap to mine.

WOW thats just ludicrous.

its clearly 90% nuckelhead pervs here and the remaining 10% are numskull trolls

Yeah I'm a nuckelhead alright and but you are a numskull troll
 
WOW thats just ludicrous.

its clearly 90% nuckelhead pervs here and the remaining 10% are numskull trolls

Yeah I'm a nuckelhead alright and but you are a numskull troll

He is indeed a troll. He says nothing worthwhile.

He loves to toss out negative posts on every thread just to stir things up.

New folks are fooled, at first, into thinking he has some merit.

But he's just a poo-flinging monkey.

:rose:
 
GAUCHE

Nonsense.

The next time you have an abcessed tooth, go to the bank to get it fixed.

No no. I go to the bank to retrieve bits of paper that I have laboured to 'earn' and that society as a whole accepts as 'proxy' for that labour.

I then 'purchase' with my labour the services of the dentist who accepts my 'proxy' in return.

So now there are four engaged (including myself) separate people/entities in accepting that my barter (labour) is worth the time and effort of another.

Voila, we have a 'society' of individuals that recognise paper as barter.

Therefore I have a moral debt to that society for allowing me to engage. and further if I wish to continue in that society then I have an agreed system of 'dues' to be paid.
 
If Varian returns and reads through this entire thread, I think she may find an answer to the original questions.

Just sayin'.
 
...90% nuckelhead...
...numskull...

...nuckelhead... ...numskull...

The correct spelling of the words are:
knucklehead and
numbskull.

There are approximately 2,286,238 Internet message boards. Of those, there are two (2) where I expect people to be capable of both correct spelling and writing. The "Authors' Hangout" is one of them.

Whether you like it or not, it is a fact that people form judgments on your reasoning ability based on your spelling and grammar. If you are not sure how to spell a word, consult a dictionary prior to posting.

 
The correct spelling of the words are:
knucklehead and
numbskull.

There are approximately 2,286,238 Internet message boards. Of those, there are two (2) where I expect people to be capable of both correct spelling and writing. The "Authors' Hangout" is one of them.

Whether you like it or not, it is a fact that people form judgments on your reasoning ability based on your spelling and grammar. If you are not sure how to spell a word, consult a dictionary prior to posting.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
Ahhh, much easier on the eyes... :p

By the way, firefox says you misspelled "judgement."
 
The correct spelling of the words are:
knucklehead and
numbskull.

There are approximately 2,286,238 Internet message boards. Of those, there are two (2) where I expect people to be capable of both correct spelling and writing. The "Authors' Hangout" is one of them.

Whether you like it or not, it is a fact that people form judgments on your reasoning ability based on your spelling and grammar. If you are not sure how to spell a word, consult a dictionary prior to posting.

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

The apostrophe in the Hangout was fixed a couple of months ago.

Stella, you're right - much easier
 
[QUOTE=gauchecritic;28475802]The society in which you live? Can you not see the truth in that? You have been provided with things and there is a price to pay. Sheer economics should lead to that conclusion.

by paying your dues.



Just when did it die? When did existential debate absolutely convince philosophers that there is no contact between the extended and the unextended?

Once again I call you dualist and deny your existence. (see if you can catch that one)[/QUOTE]


~~~

Your arguments in both posts are specious at best and sophomoric at second best.

First off, there have been thousands and thousands of trade and barter systems and none of them entailed a 'debt to society', rather, is is the self interest of those trading and bartering, the inherent good will between men that is earmarked by integrity and honesty. Without those assets...you starve or like our Canadian friend, live off others.

And dualism? surely you jest. Plato's shadows on the are no more real than your doubts of your own existence. It is formally called, the 'mind/body dichotomy' wherein even Descartes was confused and thought he could use his mind to imagine his existence.

Pure, ahem, tomfoolery, rebutted and refuted a hundred times as just another pointy headed intellectual playing with himself in the dark.

I suggest councelling if indeed you doubt your own existence, for surely you have a mental deficiency of sorts.

always the helpful....


Amicus...
 
Ahhh, much easier on the eyes... :p

By the way, firefox says you misspelled "judgement."

Firefox is wrong. That is precisely why I consult a dictionary rather than rely on a spellchecker.

From The Oxford Concise Dictionary (Tenth Edition):
judgement (also judgment) n. 1 the ability to make considered decisions or form sensible opinions, an opinion or conclusion, a decision of a law court or judge; 2 formal or humorous, viewed as a divine punishment...
 
Well...a couple of months ago, I learned that nuclear waste isn't as dangerous as it's made out to be, but that thread had actual information in it.

I've also learned that a lot of right wing mumbo jumbo appears to based on paranoia combined with an absence of information and a glut of propaganda, which makes me think that presenting facts to these people might help them find their way to a more accurate perception of reality. Wrong! When dealing with faith-based ideology, facts seem to be irrelevant.
 
I suggest councelling if indeed you doubt your own existence, for surely you have a mental deficiency of sorts.

Dude! You chastised me for getting nasty in a post directed at you (assuming you're posting from the loony bin) and then you turn around and do the exact same thing to someone else!

You claim the sanctity of life, and then you advocate killing people who disagree with you.

You talk about the 'honesty and integrity' in the free market, and then you advocate child labor in sweatshops.

You are one amazing hypocrite, my friend. You are larger than life. It there was an olympic medal for talking out of one's ass, you'd be taking home the gold. I must congratulate you on your shtick, which is quite entertaining. (It is shtick right? I mean, you can't be serious, can you?) (Never mind. It's a rhetorical question.)
 
Yeah, it's shtick. About a year ago or so, he bragged about how he could turn conservative forums into raving asylums by spouting leftist stuff.

He swears that this is his real face-- but how would we know, and why should we care?
 
JBJ addressed that to me-- in answer to what?

Is that your explanation for your poo-flinging? Shitting into your own hand is a very good example of reason confounded.

Sealion was my choice, because they can't climb trees ;)
 

...Sealion was my choice, because they can't climb trees ;)

Sealion (sic) was my choice, too; it's the only animal in the list that most people associate with water (there are, of course, exceptions with water moccasins [a/k/a cottonmouths] and sea snakes being the ones that immediately come to mind).

By the way, Stella, how's the pinky? (I have been away for a bit)

 
Sealion (sic) was my choice, too; it's the only animal in the list that most people associate with water (there are, of course, exceptions with water moccasins [a/k/a cottonmouths] and sea snakes being the ones that immediately come to mind).

By the way, Stella, how's the pinky? (I have been away for a bit)

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
I actually went and googled "Pig in tree" but got nothing :D Still, I figure a pig would at least have the chance to try, right? Sea-lions, not so much.

I'm in a brace for four and a half more weeks, while the tendon knits together. I'm allowed to use my thumb only. My arm is claustrophobic, my fingers are totally bored and pissed off at my pinky for being such a wuss. :D
 
STELLA & TRYSAIL

Then you guys would lose the points, cause 'pig' is the correct test answer.

AMICUS

Gauche is like our friend PURE; whatever they post is blather and twaddle.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


The correct spelling of the words are:
knucklehead and
numbskull.

There are approximately 2,286,238 Internet message boards. Of those, there are two (2) where I expect people to be capable of both correct spelling and writing. The "Authors' Hangout" is one of them.

Whether you like it or not, it is a fact that people form judgments on your reasoning ability based on your spelling and grammar. If you are not sure how to spell a word, consult a dictionary prior to posting.


Oh PLEASE -- without spell check? I am so lazy at this point, since I use Word all the time for any serious writing. A dictionary? Are you kidding? I guess there must be a few floating around somewhere in the house.

Of course, if the rich text editor had spell-check built in, I'd be glad to use it. Stella -- are you saying there's a feature in Firefox? I'm using IE on this box.
 
Oh PLEASE -- without spell check? I am so lazy at this point, since I use Word all the time for any serious writing. A dictionary? Are you kidding? I guess there must be a few floating around somewhere in the house.

Of course, if the rich text editor had spell-check built in, I'd be glad to use it. Stella -- are you saying there's a feature in Firefox? I'm using IE on this box.
Yeah, you can plugin the dictionary of your choice. As Try pointed out, it isn't the most comprehensive... far better than nothing, though! I also suggest the Adblock Plus plugin. :)
 
Ahhh, much easier on the eyes... :p

By the way, firefox says you misspelled "judgement."

Webster's said he didn't misspell judgment; it says he used the preferred spelling. "Judgement" is British spelling and "judgment" is American spelling. Either would be correct, of course, but since this is an American-based site . . .

I did think it rather amusing (and telling) that in talking about subliterate people, JBJ misspelled numbskull. :D
 
Webster's said he didn't misspell judgment; it says he used the preferred spelling. "Judgement" is British spelling and "judgment" is American spelling. Either would be correct, of course, but since this is an American-based site . . .

I did think it rather amusing (and telling) that in talking about subliterate people, JBJ misspelled numbskull. :D
Doublechecking, I find I have the British usage dictionary loaded.:eek:
 
"Judgement" is a bugaboo word in American-system writing. It frequently pops up in British spelling, and so, to an editor, it pops out.
 
MiAmico said:
First off, there have been thousands and thousands of trade and barter systems and none of them entailed a 'debt to society', rather, is is the self interest of those trading and bartering, the inherent good will between men that is earmarked by integrity and honesty.

A system must needs entail participation involving more than one person.

Society, noun. the condition of those living in companionship with others, or in a community, rather than in isolation.

Your 'self-interest' is that society continue. Any and all societies place demands upon its participants; rules and regulations, you therefore owe that society observance of those rules.

Far from sophomoric, your faith is that of the playground.

P.S It's you I doubt the existence of.

JBJ said:
Gauche is like our friend PURE; whatever they post is blather and twaddle.
So's your face.
 
Back
Top