🎵 Monthly Song Challenge 🎵

Day 20: A rainy day song

This song is way outside of my present-day wheelhouse...
So consider this a hop in the time machine, to pay a visit to 'junior high me'. He had this on repeat.

Not really about rain, I suppose, but the storm sounds that bookend the song were the first thing that popped into my mind when I read today's prompt... and although I could probably think of tracks that are more well-suited to the theme, I want to honour my first instinct.

Cypress Hill - Cock the Hammer

Day 20: A song for a rainy day

I was talking to my brother about this song challenge and I said I was trying to pick an instrumental song, (he loves instrumental music) so I asked if he had any songs that reminded him of rain (I didn't cheat keep reading). He mentioned several artists who I don't know, I kind of zoned out tbh, and then it came to me... Trigun: The First Donuts!!!!!! This anime almost broke me. The soundtrack is really great too.

The drums remind me of rain on a tin roof. It is fast paced, so it reminds me of a heavy downpour.

Knives - Tsuneo Imahori

Coming from Naruto and Sailor Moon, stumbling upon Trigun opened up a whole new world to me... It proved that anime doesn't need to be just your typical shounen and shoujou; it can be deeper while still absolutely bonkers hilarious! Fantastic choice Lav, gah how I loved that show.

I haven't snuck a Brandi Carlile song in here in a few weeks, so goodness knows I'm overdue. But the song title aside, there's something about the tone and the emotion in the lyrics that fits with the 'rainy day, sit and reflect and feel your feelings'. It's actually a song about longing, which maybe just fits my mood today anyways, sunburn and all. 🙃

I live in the PNW. It rains here all the time, right? Sure, from late September to June, but not during the summer. We have already been over a month without measurable rainfall. So this isn't as easy in July as is it is in, say, November.

This song? This is rain in November. Dark. Sad. Cold. Making you feel like you can't do anything about anything, not really. It is the first part of a four part concerto entitled "A concerto for a rainy day," from ELO's Out of the Blue. I have elaborated on the concerto before, at probably too great a length, to get a full understanding of the incredible ending song, where the clouds break and the sun comes out. But before that, you need to get to this part. The dark, cold, sad part. The rain in Portland part.

I love the opening, with the rain and what sounds like a child's music box. Then comes the thunder. And then rain soaks into your clothes, and into you. The cold takes your warmth, your hope. It will all be alright, but right now? It doesn't feel like it...

"Standin' In The Rain," The Electric Light Orchestra

Day 21: A song from the 60s

I wasn't born yet. Move a handful of people a few miles north, and I never would've been.

Last year was the 50th anniversary of the end of the war; the war which stole so many of my mothers family, the war which taught me to not stray from the roads as a child because the landmines had yet to be cleared. The war which the world forgot. The Secret War, on the southern side of Vietnam. The most bombed country in the history of the world.

Two hundred and seventy million bombs, the US dropped on us.
Eighty million didn't detonate on impact.
No, they stuck around until the feet of children disturbed their sleep.
Laos.

Dylan - Masters of War

Day 21: A song from the 60s

America - Simon & Garfunkel
A classic.
Once saw a roadsign for Saginaw and smiled. This reminds me of the dream of across the pond. Wanting to travel on Greyhounds. Then i got to do it a few times. That was just a dream.
"I'm empty and aching and I don't know why" still hits hard... as does Art's high harmonies at the end.
A classic

Day 21: A song from the 60's

It's so very trite, but I was raised by a father who went through adolescence and early adulthood in the 60s and early 70s. And so, when CDs first became available and viable, the old man went around replacing LPs that were lost to his entitled, butthead sister. This meant that I got a steady dose of The Beatles, The Who, Joe Cocker, and others.

Back