🎵 Monthly Song Challenge 🎵

Day 23-A song from the 80s (with flowers!)

Shreikback's Oil and Gold is one of the great albums of the 80s, but you rarely hear about it. It has not yet been discovered and mined again, and maybe it never will be. But this was when they moved from New Wave funky post-punk to full, complex, amazing art rock. I am not a huge fan of art rock, unless it is done well. This is done well. It is bombastic and sad; it is literate and pretentious; it is intense and even more intense, all in turns. Experimental, artistic, brooding. Former XTC vocalist Barry Andrews's speaksinging is unique, and can run from a whispery baritone to a startling falsetto, but it always sounds otherworldly and wonderfully odd.

"These faded flowers
Precious as memory
A veil of cloud
Correct as energy
We had some good machines
But they don't work no more
I loved you once
Don't love you anymore..."

I discovered this song in the most 80s of all 80s movies, The Band of the Hand. (Go watch it. It is so worth it.) "Faded Flowers" leans into the brooding end of the spectrum, with ethereal keyboards, popular in the era, and one of the most crowded drum machine lines ever. But it all pulls together in a wonderfully melancholy love song, and maybe a post-love song -- wistful and sweet and sour. It uses the word "anacrucis," and you don't get any more artsy and pretentious than that.

"Faded Flowers," Shreikback

(Our hearts are breaking
One more song to go)

Last edited:
Day 23-A song from the 80's.
First heard this song on what I thought was the coolest show at the time. Miami Vice.
In the Air Tonight- Phil Collins . Had to go with the live version.

I mention this in my song choice, but if you liked Miami Vice, watch The Band of the Hand. It isn't a good movie (currently 0% on Rotten Tomatoes, for what that is worth) but it is a fantastic bad movie, and I love it. Miami Vice with teenagers! Laurence Fishburne as a villain pimp! Lauren Holley as a teenage coke dealer! John Cameron Mitchell, of Hedwig and the Angry Inch fame, with a machine gun fighting drug dealers! And the soundtrack is unironically brilliant, including the theme by Bob Dylan and the Heartbreakers. It is the most 80s movie ever to 80s.

Day 23-A song from the 90's

I missed out on some of the other decades this last week or so, but some combo of the different emotions of the day led me down a bit of a deep cuts rabbit hole. I remember nabbing the maxi-CD single that this came on and laughing at the back cover. It's a mild rarity that I loved having in my collection because the B-sides were absolute jams that totally could have been on the first record.

Back