🎵 Monthly Song Challenge 🎵

Day 25, A song from the 2010s, with flowers!
I have never seen Game of Thrones or, as I called it Boobs and Dragons. Not that I don't have a deep abiding love for each of those. But I read the first books of the George RR Martin's novels, and I enjoyed them, but found that any character I liked would --if they were lucky-- only die horribly, and it could get much, much worse for them than that. So about halfway through the fourth novel, I decided Westeros and I had an abusive relationship, and I walked away. (I had friends who loved and lived it, and I remember waiting gleefully for the day after the Red Wedding episode...I am evil.) So I never watched the show either, and with the ending being as it was, I am okay with that. But one of my favorite "Stomp Clap Hey!" indie folk bands, The Lumineers, did a song for an album of music inspired by the show. I was scouring my music collection for a flower that was a little more off the beaten path, as it were, and rediscovered it after several years. It is a repurposing of an early version of a song from their album III, and interesting to see how it goes in a different direction. To be honest, I like it much more than the other version it became. Mournful, macabre, and haunting, but charming, like the flower of the song's namesake. And no "Stomp Clap Hey!" here.

"Nightshade, won't you take me away?"

"Nightshade," The Lumineers.

Day 25, A song from the 00s
Evanescence - Bring me Back to Life
This was such a ubiquitous song when it came out, which showed it really reached where people lived. It got a bit ridiculously so for a time, and was overused and overplayed, but I am back to where I turn it up when it comes on rather than skipping it again.

Day 26: A song from the 10s

The first time I listened to LP I was... floored. It's rare that music surprises me, but holy shit. Their voice.
Their fucking voice.
Fuck.
🥵

LP - Lost On You

Oh, isn't it a joy to get surprised like that? I love LP, ever since a friend gave me Heart Shaped Scar some twenty years ago. They have such good songwriting chops, and their voice is such a wonderful mix. They can scream, and soar, and whisper in your ear in turns.

So about halfway through the fourth novel, I decided Westeros and I had an abusive relationship, and I walked away.
Just for funsies (yes they're pronounced the same, which led to a great deal of amusement while the show was still on):

Also the Lumineers kick ass :love:

1722003600463.png

Day 26: A song from the 10s

Ooh, baby, I've been looking forward to today 😍 The (obviously unrequited) love of my (teenage) life put out two solo albums in the '10s and yesterday I had a good time streaming both on repeat while trying to pick just one. Ultimately, I couldn't narrow it down by audio so I had to remind myself which single had the best music video. Still a tough choice. This is based on "Young Goodman Brown" and I never entirely know what I'm supposed to make of that short story but it's an interesting one to think about. You can peep the lead singer of The Psychedelic Furs, plus Evan Rachel Woods is levitating 😻 Anyway, if you liked The Killers' first album, you've gotta listen to Brandon's work.

Can't Deny My Love - Brandon Flowers

I have never seen Game of Thrones or, as I called it Boobs and Dragons. Not that I don't have a deep abiding love for each of those. But I read the first books of the George RR Martin's novels, and I enjoyed them, but found that any character I liked would --if they were lucky-- only die horribly, and it could get much, much worse for them than that. So about halfway through the fourth novel, I decided Westeros and I had an abusive relationship, and I walked away. (I had friends who loved and lived it, and I remember waiting gleefully for the day after the Red Wedding episode...I am evil.) So I never watched the show either, and with the ending being as it was, I am okay with that. But one of my favorite "Stomp Clap Hey!" indie folk bands, The Lumineers, did a song for an album of music inspired by the show. I was scouring my music collection for a flower that was a little more off the beaten path, as it were, and rediscovered it after several years. It is a repurposing of an early version of a song from their album III, and interesting to see how it goes in a different direction. To be honest, I like it much more than the other version it became. Mournful, macabre, and haunting, but charming, like the flower of the song's namesake. And no "Stomp Clap Hey!" here.

"Nightshade, won't you take me away?"

"Nightshade," The Lumineers.

How? How did I not know this existed?

Back