🎵 Monthly Song Challenge 🎵

A George Michael song without a love react from @MindYaBitness ?

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, as I hope my dead-gay-husband can feel my deep love & devotion beyond the grave. Freedom '90 is indeed a pop masterpiece, and I would give it 1000 heart eye reacts if allowed. I have rectified this mistake and look forward to sharing my deep, deep love in future posts. For now, please enjoy the dulcet tones of my George and Mary J

Day 24: A song from the 20s

Closing out my self-imposed theme of The Band. This one surprised me, because I knew the song but not the connection. Leveon Helm was the drummer and one of the three primary vocalists for The Band. Amy Helm is Levon Helm's daughter, and a remarkably talented singer-songwriter and multiinstrumentalist, both on her own as well as with several different bands. I first heard her in the alt-folk band Ollabelle, which is well worth chasing down.

This is from her latest solo album, released this year, Silver City. It is lovely, and sad, and hopeful.

"4 a.m., I'm trembling, 5 a.m., I'm torn
6 a.m., I'm terrified I'll always be alone
'Til morning at 7 and the sun comes back in"

"Money on 7," Amy Helm

And with that, I completed a theme I wasn't sure I could. We take the wins we get.

I've got my money on 7 as well...

Day 24: A song from the 20s

I’m still in Boston for the decades week. The Nervous Eaters have been around since the late 70s, spanning five decades. In that time they turned out punky rock n roll. Their song “Loretta” is an early punk classic.

They started out with DMZ and The Cars… and they just sorta hung around… for a really long time!!

I like this song from their most recent record.

Nervous Eaters - Vampire

Day 24, a song from the 20’s

I love music that’s no secret, and I also like music that means something, that puts life’s struggles into words and song. I find all of that in this one where lead singer Danny Worsnop and Guitarist Ben Bruce find themselves singing the perspective of two dear friends that time and life choices have separated and yet the love for one another that the friends feel is starkly there in the word choice of the verses. I find this song particularly powerful since Bruce’s departure from the band.

Back