Two of my favorite lines in Fear and Loathing(the movie)

"Machine guns! They're firing at us, for f***'s sake!"

and

"We can't stop here. It's bat country!"

Re: Sorry Shereads

Raoul_Duke said:
Can we just agree that Hunter S. Thompson is a genius, and Johnny Depp brought Raoul Duke to life as Mr. Thompson would have liked?

No.

:D

Maybe... I'm a bit concilliatory this morning, not having slept much.

Edited to add: Eek! Is Hunter Thompson dead? Was it the bats?

Last edited:
Raoul_Duke said:
Thanks Perdita and Shereads-
Not sure why Parker Bros didn't pick up on that one. Our art professor didn't say whether or not the party-goers were drunk when they played the game, but I can imagine that it would be a lot funnier when intoxicated. Heck, everything except driving and sex are more fun when drunk.

p.s.- I took my screen name from Johnny Depp's hilarious, drug-addled character in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"

When I saw the name, I thought about a movie I read about but didn't see, named "Eating Raoul", which was about cannabilism in the big city. I also thought about an old TV series, "The Dukes of Hazzard", from about twenty years ago. I rerad "Doonesbury", with Duke but I have never read any other name that he might have. Zonker calls him Uncle Duke and others call him Duke or Mister Duke so I have never known whether that is his first or last name. In any event, it gives us an excuse to get away from the inane original topic of this thread.

Welcome, Raoul. ;) ;) ;)

Boxlicker101 said:
When I saw the name, I thought about a movie I read about but didn't see, named "Eating Raoul", which was about cannabilism in the big city.

A marvelously funny film, challenging in that it's hard to know what sort of snacks to serve when you screen it for friends. It's about a married couple who need cash, so they advertise the wife's services as a dominatrix. The cannibalism is incidental.

Re: Exquisite Corpse

Raoul_Duke said:
If I may interject in this intellectually exciting post:D , I would like to point out that in an Art 187 class I took this past semester, we learned about and even drew some "exquisite corpses". A Surrealist named Max Ernst came up with the idea of the "exquisite corpse" as a sort of parlor game, in which people at a party would take turns drawing a body part on a folded piece of paper. After he/she drew the part, they would then fold the paper again and pass it to the next person, who would draw another body part at random. After the paper was passed to everyone at the party, someone would stand and unfold the paper, showing an odd combination of body parts, or an "exquisite corpse". The game was based on the Surrealists' belief in chance and the unconscious helping to create art.

I'm a noob, but I thought I would share some interesting info about the topic. By the way, this is a fun thread!
perdita said:
Hey, Raoul, I'm impressed. Welcome,

Perdita :rose:

Exquisite Corpse
Thanks a lot, Perdita and Raoul. :mad:

Did you miss the part about clarity being overrated? Just for once I would like to be left genuinely confused about a thread. But nooo...

Well, OK. I'm just kidding. Welcome, Raoul. :catroar:

This is what I was talking about: Exquisite Corpse

shereads said:
A marvelously funny film, challenging in that it's hard to know what sort of snacks to serve when you screen it for friends. It's about a married couple who need cash, so they advertise the wife's services as a dominatrix. The cannibalism is incidental.

Maybe you could serve gingerbread men or lady fingers.

This might be a way to hijack the thread even more.

"Exquisite corpses"????:eek:

BARBARIANS!!!

Around here, we call it "Fold The Paper"-game.

Svenskaflicka
Civilized

I can't read Hunter S. either, but then I had a baaaad trip on mescaline, the last joint I shared (I think in 1971) made me frighteningly paranoid.

I love Depp as an actor, will see anything he's in. No, it's not his looks that attract me, just his acting.

Perdita

Lauren Hynde said:
The mind shan't be compartmentalised! The topic is what you make of it. This is a You-topic thread.

What's a topic?

Svenskaflicka said:
It's what you call someone who's into topiaries.
Thus returning to what this thread is really about ... Johnny Depp roles in which he gets to have scars... I'll go first, Edward Scissorhands.

How reformed Hunter S. Thompson fans flirt

perdita said:
I can't read Hunter S. either, but then I had a baaaad trip on mescaline, the last joint I shared (I think in 1971) made me frighteningly paranoid.

Perdita

You too? I like reading about him, and I love his political commentaries, but I remember the days when all I needed in the morning was a glass of water to get things going and the previous day's trip would kick start all over again. Too much nostalgia might lure me back there, and I don't want to go. I've decided to channel all my addictive behaviour traits into my libido, and I want to keep them there. Blow in my ear sometime Perdita, we can go and cut a rug together at a Narcanon meeting.

Re: How reformed Hunter S. Thompson fans flirt

Gary, I wouldn't qualify for Narcanon, I never did much of any dope, hardly more than I mentioned above, just didn't like not being myself (though did too many dopey dudes). I'll blow in your ear soon.

Perdita

Re: Re: How reformed Hunter S. Thompson fans flirt

perdita said:
Gary, I wouldn't qualify for Narcanon, I never did much of any dope, hardly more than I mentioned above, just didn't like not being myself (though did too many dopey dudes). I'll blow in your ear soon.

Perdita

I should have mentioned that it was a joke. I wouldn't know what a Narcanon meeting looked like, Perdita, and I doubt they allow dancing. If I want to quit I quit. If I want to start I seek an effective diversion, it's that simple. Mind you, I never touched mesc. Tried opium and that was enough for me; ended up parking my vehicle nose down in an international boundary ditch. The Border Patrol was not amused and the mounties took $400 in payoffs plus tow and impound fees. Believe it or not I used to write about these experiences in a weekly newspaper column, so I don't really need to read Hunter because I lived it.

It's minus 25 degrees here right now, but I'll remember not to wear earmuffs for a while.;) :rose:

My ode to Hunter S. Thompson...

...is his obit for Richard M. Nixon. While others were tiptoing around the issue of Nixon's Nixon-ness (we may peel the skin from the living, but we don't talk ugly about our dead or Ronald Reagan) this is what the Doctor of Gonzo had to say when Dick was spent at last:

Memo from the National Affairs Desk
Date: May 1, 1994
Subject: The Death of Richard Nixon: Notes on the passing of an American Monster... He was a liar and a quitter, and he should have been buried at sea... But he was, after all, the president.

Richard Nixon is gone now, and I am poorer for it. He was the real thing - a political monster straight out of Grendel and a very dangerous enemy. He could shake your hand and stab you in the back at the same time. He lied to his friends and betrayed the trust of his family. Not even Gerald Ford, the unhappy ex-president who pardoned Nixon and kept him out of prison, was immune to the evil fallout. Ford, who believes strongly in heaven and hell, has told more than one of his celebrity golf partners that "I know I will go to hell, because I pardoned Richard Nixon."

I have had my own blood relationship with Nixon for many years, but I am not worried about it landing me in hell with him. I have already been there with that bastard, and I am a better person for it. Nixon had the unique ability to make his enemies seem honourable, and we developed a keen sense of fraternity. Some of my best friends have hated Nixon all their lives. My mother hates Nixon, my son hates Nixon, I hate Nixon, and this hatred has brought us together.

Nixon laughed when I told him this. "Don't worry," he said. "I, too, am a family man, and we feel the same way about you."

It was Richard Nixon who got me into politics, and now that he's gone, I feel lonely. He was a giant in his way. As long as Nixon was politically alive - and he was, all the way to the end - we could always be sure of finding the enemy on the Low Road. There was no need to look anywhere else for the evil bastard. He had the fighting instincts of a badger trapped by hounds. The badger will roll over on its back and emit a smell of death, which confuses the dogs and lures them in for the traditional ripping and tearing action. But it is usually the badger who does the ripping and tearing. It is a beast that fights best on its back: rolling under the throat of the enemy and seizing it by the head with all four claws.

That was Nixon's style - and if you forgot, he would kill you as a lesson to the others. Badgers don't fight fair, Bubba.

---------------

There comes a time at the beginning of each New Year when I get a morbid little chill out of wondering who will make the celebrity death lists in next year's year-end retrospectives.

Katherine Hepburn was a loss, but she lived so well that it's hard to be sad. Bob Hope died years ago. I confess that losing John Ritter didn't make a tinker's damn to me. I can't recall a moment of thinking, "Interesting person, this Ritter," or "That makes you think/laugh/cry/spray Diet Coke through your sinuses." With all due respect to the family and friends of whoever John Ritter apparently was, I'm glad he died instead of, say, Marge Simpson or Al Franken.

Reminiscing about the king of gonzo journalism just now has made me realize that Hunter S. Thompson is one of the people I grew up admiring; he was and sometimes is my anti-hero. If I'm alive when Hunter S. is added to the New Year's Eve roster of dead celebrities on Entertainment Tonight, I'll be sad for a long time.

Inspired by HST's "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail," I once taught a cocker spaniel to bare her fangs and snarl when I gave the command, "Nixon!" I can think of a lot of inspiring writers, but I can't think of one who's inspired me in the same way.

Attachments

• p29.jpg
    p29.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
raphy said:
What's a topic?
A pretty good Serbian high jumper.

Hey, you asked.

/Ice - holding the pointlessness standard of this thread as high as he possibly can

Last edited:
Thompson was actually very supportive of the choice of Depp for the role (there's a picture from a magazine, Rolling Stone maybe, that shows them shooting off a howitzer at Thompson's ranch). In fact, a movie version of another HST book is in the works starring Johnny Depp.

NEW YORK (Variety) - Producer/financier FilmEngine has optioned gonzo journalist Hunter S. Thompson's novel "The Rum Diary" as a starring vehicle for Johnny Depp, Nick Nolte and Benicio Del Toro, with "Pearl Harbor" star Josh Hartnett also circling. "Backbeat" scribe Michael Thomas will write the script.

"The Rum Diary" was Thompson's first work of fiction, based on his early journalistic foray at a newspaper in San Juan in the late 1950s. While it predated the ingestion of hallucinogens that colored his later work, such as "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" (the film adaptation of which starred Depp and Del Toro), the novel featured plenty of drinking and carousing at the paper, with a love triangle thrown in for good measure.

"It was a gold rush," Thompson recalled. "There were naked people everywhere, and we all had credit."

"The Rum Diary" languished at cash-short Shooting Gallery to the point that Thompson penned an infamous letter to its production president that began "Okay you lazy bitch," and went downhill from there. FilmEngine's Anthony Rhulen, whose company made "O" and the upcoming New Line picture "Cheaters," intends to work fast enough to avoid that kind of Thompson correspondence, as scribe Thomas has already met with the author and should have a script ready to sell at Cannes. Plans are to shoot next winter.
-----------
Thompson still writes a regular column for ESPN, his latest book is Kingdom of Fear.

Svenskaflicka said:
Isn't the standard supposed to be LOW???:confused:

NO NO NO!! You don't understand. He is trying to maintain a high level of pointlessness, and succeeding admirably I must say.:)

Go TFCG! :D

Lou

P.S. Raphy, a Topic is a chocolate bar, chock full of peanuts. :rolleyes:

Svenskaflicka said:
Cockolate bar... HUBBY!!! *cries*
Aww... :rose:

Ok, we really really really need to watch what we're saying in front of flicka here.

Chocolate bar?!

:( Okay you guys, let's watch it. This thread is starting to make some sense sometimes. :(

Back