a companion to 30 in 30

I hope you had as much fun writing "A Zero Tolerance Approach to Punctuation" as I did reading it, Angie. It's good to see the light-hearted side after what you've been through.

Thank you, GM. :heart:

It's a process and I'm working through it. I like to think T is part of my muse now.

You know how Denis Hale mentioned in his interview here that he finds his titles in his reading? I've been collecting titles for a while now, too. This morning I saw "Zero Tolerance..." and immediately got this image of a punctuation audition. It just made me laugh!

I'm going to miss writing with you when you finish.

If I make it that far, I'm thinking about bumping the 30 edits in 30 days thread you created. I see a lot of room for improvement in some of my posts.

If I make it that far, I'm thinking about bumping the 30 edits in 30 days thread you created. I see a lot of room for improvement in some of my posts.

Who doesn't see room for improvement in their posts in that thread? Even when I finally get that satisfied "this poem is done" feeling, I know a week (or less) later I won't think so lol.

Overall though I see the 30/30 thread as a place for writing that is still in draft form. Sometimes we hit one out of the park, but mostly it's just a place to have to write every day. I may join you in the edit thread soon, too, because I have all that jazz stuff I've been writing in recent months and I need to start hacking away at it and shaping it!

Who doesn't see room for improvement in their posts in that thread? Even when I finally get that satisfied "this poem is done" feeling, I know a week (or less) later I won't think so lol.

Overall though I see the 30/30 thread as a place for writing that is still in draft form. Sometimes we hit one out of the park, but mostly it's just a place to have to write every day. I may join you in the edit thread soon, too, because I have all that jazz stuff I've been writing in recent months and I need to start hacking away at it and shaping it!

I hope that others do too. I recall Neo writing after 30-30 there were several worthy of editing. Trixie made comments of hers she'd like to edit, and I think Champ was praising editing, if not in the 30-30 thread, then somewhere else.

For me there's always something to learn about writing poetry when you can compare a draft with an edited version, and the 4 poets in the New Year's 30-30 are ones whose work I study.

I hope that others do too. I recall Neo writing after 30-30 there were several worthy of editing. Trixie made comments of hers she'd like to edit, and I think Champ was praising editing, if not in the 30-30 thread, then somewhere else.

For me there's always something to learn about writing poetry when you can compare a draft with an edited version, and the 4 poets in the New Year's 30-30 are ones whose work I study.

Could not agree with you more.

I've been going back and editing in the 30/30--just a little here and there so I don't forget about the changes when I do the bigger overhaul. (Don't yell at me, Jamis!). I may see Champ at a reading tonight and if I do I'll ask if she wants to join in the editing party. With a group there together, it becomes a real workshop.

Could not agree with you more.

I've been going back and editing in the 30/30--just a little here and there so I don't forget about the changes when I do the bigger overhaul. (Don't yell at me, Jamis!). I may see Champ at a reading tonight and if I do I'll ask if she wants to join in the editing party. With a group there together, it becomes a real workshop.

The editing is so painful to me! LOL, but I'll start mine sooner than planned and join y'all.

The editing is so painful to me! LOL, but I'll start mine sooner than planned and join y'all.

It's definitely harder for me to edit than to just write--but that's where most of my work gets done. I'll probably try to get a bit further into the current 30/30 before I start. I'm not even at 10 yet!

GM, your 1-26 is great! I love the wordplay and how the title and spacing all underscore the theme. And it's like the perfect foil for my punctuation poem with all those numbers and symbols. Thanks for the smile. :)

GM, your 1-26 is great! I love the wordplay and how the title and spacing all underscore the theme. And it's like the perfect foil for my punctuation poem with all those numbers and symbols. Thanks for the smile. :)

Thanks. "Punctuation" actually helped to stimulate my imagination.

My guess is you and I are probably the only two who remember Bradley as a basketball player. LOL

Thanks. "Punctuation" actually helped to stimulate my imagination.

My guess is you and I are probably the only two who remember Bradley as a basketball player. LOL

He was my dad's favorite basketball player, so yes I do! I bet lots of people don't remember he was a senator, either. :cool:

Angeline, 2-8 (5th of the 5 fibs)

--

*​

Some
times
I think
of that day
when first these strange birds
recognized they were of the same
feather, then I quit
supposing
and close
my
eyes.​

by Angeline

i
think
i may
other times
i drink wine non-stop
or whisky or vodka who cares
imagine empty
beer bottles
cheap stuff
helps
too

Enjoy :),

--

*​

Some
times
I think
of that day
when first these strange birds
recognized they were of the same
feather, then I quit
supposing
and close
my
eyes.​

by Angeline

i
think
i may
other times
i drink wine non-stop
or whisky or vodka who cares
imagine empty
beer bottles
cheap stuff
helps
too

Enjoy :),

Angeline has disclosed:

Revelation!

:)

Are you picking on me, Senna? And I'm sick today, so I hope you feel guilty now. :D

:rose:

Are you picking on me, Senna? And I'm sick today, so I hope you feel guilty now. :D

I do. Am terribly guilty. Angeline, get well! No more teasing from me until you feel good (but then... :)).

I'll post a puzzle about (my own) thinking or lack of it on litblog 2014++. This should speed up your recovery.

Last edited:
The poetry threads need a "like" button. I know why that won't work on other threads, but it sure would be useful here.

Thanks Angeline, GM, and Tzara for continuing to delight.

The poetry threads need a "like" button. I know why that won't work on other threads, but it sure would be useful here.

Thanks Angeline, GM, and Tzara for continuing to delight.

Thank you, Ms. L. :)

I often find myself reading something here at Lit and groping for the non-existent Like button. Sign o' the times I guess.

GM, I love Duluth (the poem, not the place!). I read it and thought "this is a man who has been around a lot of snow lately!" Made me feel kinda like I was in Bangor again. That one picture of Pompano did not quite warm it up lol.

And Tzara my dear friend so good to see you back and kicking off with a vilanelle/parody. Awesome!

30-30 Ditty

Sounds of silence pulsate again at what isn't the end of the line.

Congrats on a great run in the 30/30. Feels good to be done, eh? :)

Yes, indeed. Time for some editing.

It's fun to read how good poets can turn pop culture into something more than a cliché, Tzara with his recent "50 Shades" and you with the Bosox, although I must say after last year compared to the "Boston Strong" world championship the year before, I'm taking a wait and see attitude.

That said, it's going to be 20 below tonight up here in the Green Mountain State, so I'm thinking spring in a manner of speaking as you did in your poem in a manner of speaking.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/171765

Enticing images in 3-5, Tzara. Reminded me of a milder bespectacled version of Catherine Deneuve from "Belle du Jour."
Thank you, gm. The poem is based, a bit, on a librarian I was sweet on many, many years ago. She would sit at her desk and I would pine over her, which never got either of us anywhere, since I was too shy to approach her.

Interestingly, she showed up as a customer at a bookstore I co-owned, some twenty years later. And while I was very married at the time, I still felt that zing of sexual attraction to her. She did not know me at all, of course, as I'd never approached her.

Re Belle de Jour, you obviously have seen the film. Have you read the original novel?

Both are excellent, each in their own way.

Enticing images in 3-5, Tzara. Reminded me of a milder bespectacled version of Catherine Deneuve from "Belle du Jour."

Thank you, gm. The poem is based, a bit, on a librarian I was sweet on many, many years ago. She would sit at her desk and I would pine over her, which never got either of us anywhere, since I was too shy to approach her.

Interestingly, she showed up as a customer at a bookstore I co-owned, some twenty years later. And while I was very married at the time, I still felt that zing of sexual attraction to her. She did not know me at all, of course, as I'd never approached her.

Re Belle de Jour, you obviously have seen the film. Have you read the original novel?

Both are excellent, each in their own way.

I haven't read the original novel. I might now in that you've peaked my interest.

I haven't read the original novel. I might now in that you've peaked my interest.
It's very different, as one might suspect, being published in 1928.

If anything, it's an interesting contrast to the Buñuel film.

Last edited:
Tzara, I really like your 3-10. Thanks for the smile :rose:
Trix, could you say more? Here is the poem:

Ohm's Law

Let's be direct. I want your body.
But, oddly it's not anybody
Who might appear beneath me. Ah!
I am resisted by V/R.​

Tzara

Thank you,

Back