A convocation of wizards (closed for Gabe619)

He drank down her arousal with glee. His tongue burrowing deep with her to collect every single drop of her orgasm. Her hand on his head, holding him in place made him smile, did she really think she had even that small a control over proceedings? He pushed her hand away, and sat up to lick his lips and smile down at her as she pleasured Sorinel's hardness. Right before him was the curve of the mans ass, toned, firm, but smooth and rounded. Varis moved slightly, hands fondling those tight ass cheeks, spreading them, finding Sorinel's most private forbidden hole then leaned in and with Tali's cum still on his tongue flicked it over the mans hole. Softly, teasingly, hands firm on the ass cheeks keeping them spread, then softly probing into the ass before him, licking, tongue fucking. He let one of his hands leave the young studs toned ass to descend back between Tali's thighs, two fingers slipping deep into her soaking pussy as he began to finger fuck the horny half elf as she played with her gorgeous small, pert tits, the had nipples thick and perfect.

He moaned as he ate Sorinel's ass harder now, tongue digging in deeper, his hand moved to the mans hip holding him stead as he experienced an old pleasuring from in front, and a new one from behind. Vari's own cock as so hard it was almost painful and he knew he would have to slip it into a hole soon, either Tali's tight pussy to show her what a real cock could do, or deflower Sorinel and take the boys virginity.

Varis could taste the shame in the boy's aura, the shame of being cuckolded, the shame of not being able to get what he and his woman needed without help. The shame of enjoying the taboo pleasure of a man eating his virgin asshole. He fought the moans, the pleasure mingling with a growing hate for Varis. Tali slipped her mouth from Sorinel's cock "Mmmmm maybe ill let you do that to me love" she stroked his balls, reaching past them to brush Varis' chin with her fingertips. Her mouth resumed working Sorinel's hard cock, taking him now into her throat, engulfing him totally.

Her hips rocked a bit, fucking Vari's fingers. She was slick, tight, warm and ready for more touches. Clearly the more liberated of the two. It probably came from being older. Even the half-elves aged slowly. She probably had a solid decade on Sorinel, if not more. Varis felt the soft caress of her fingers again, then felt her reach back and spread Sorinel's ass open a bit more. The young man protested and she slipped off his cock "Shhhh my love. Shhhh. enjoy it. I don't want to go north alone. I don't want to be cold without you"

At the same time Varis could feel the young man relaxing against his will, his pucker loosening, allowing Varis tongue free reign to slide through and violate him. He convulsed, overcome with his shame and also his pleasure, then finally as if acquiescing he pressed back slightly against Varis' mouth. His hand went down into Tali's hair, tugging her back onto his cock till it was in the back of her throat.

Feeling Sorinel push back on his tongue only spurred Varis on harder. he made out with the boys ass, tongue fucking it hard, curling his tongue inside to give him as much pleasure as he could all the while finger fucking the slutty half elf laying beneath him and hearing her working her lovers hard cock. But Varis couldn't wait any longer. He shifted position again, now sliding between Tali's spread thighs as his engorged cock head stroked over her inner thigh and then her wet pussy lips. He gripped his cock, using the head to work her lips and clit for a while, wetting it in her juices, before gripping her slender hips and pushing slowly, so slowly. He watched as the head of his prick eased her lips open as if they were kissing it, then pushing more, sliding inside, feeling the give as his cock parted her pussy and the heat of her velvety insides. He grunted in pleasure, licking his dry lips again as he pushed on. Half of his thick cock now nestled inside the girl and he stopped, letting her get used to it as she had only had Sorinel's smaller cock for a while, but then his lust overcame him and he ushed hard, thrusting the rest inside her till his balls ground on her ass cheeks. His head fell back as he moaned long and low like some animal in heat. He smiled up at Sorinel.

"She is so tight, so soft and hot inside. You lucky bastard." He growled as he slipped an arm around the boys slim waist and pulled him closer, pulling his cock from Tali's mouth only to slide into Kellan's.

With lustful abandon Varis sucked and tongued the hard cock in his mouth, using his oral skills as he had on Tali. he had always loved the feel of a hard cock in his mouth and Sorinel's was no different. As his hips began to thrust in and out of the half elfs pussy, his lips slid up and down on the cock, tasting Tali's saliva and Sorinel's pre-cum. He moaned in blissful erotic heaven.

Sorinel moaned in surprised, then grasped Varis head "that's it you bastard, suck my fucking cock. Suck my fucking cock." The young man found a little core of steel, and started to fuck Varis mouth. In part out of hate, in part out of lust. Varis could feel that the boy thought he was a better cocksucker than his woman. He could feel lust overtaking shame, as the younger wizard wanted to spill his balls into the older man's mouth.

More pressing, he could feel the warmth and tightness of Tali's pussy. He was too big for her, he could feel the whine of discomfort, but also feel that amazing grip, the vicelike clamp of her muscles around his overlarge cock. Her body resisted his movement, squeezing when he pushed in, tugging when he pulled out. Still, she was slick enough that after a bit of adjustment, she was able to take him more comfortably. She wrapped her legs around him, locking her legs behind his back, pulling him in with every thrust. Her nails raked hard along his back, leaving long red trails on the skin, digging into him the way he was digging into her. Gasping, rocking her petite body in time with his eager thrusts she cried out "oh god he's so big baby. He's so big." She clung to the older wizard with her legs as best she could, looking up to watch the two "fuck that's hot. Baby you're gonna have to let more guys suck your cock. Its so fucking hot. I want you so bad baby. Fuck. Fuck." She whined, uncomfortably full of the old man, but taking him all the same as their bodies moved together.

Varis never wanted to pull out of Tali's warm, wet, tight velvet vice of a pussy. He was in heaven. A tight pussy on his cock, a hard dick in his mouth. He looked up at Sorinel as the man fucked his Master's face. The boy had his eyes closed in pleasure and Kellan smiled around the cock pumping in and out of his mouth. He was breaking, he knew, he could feel the cock pulsing in his mouth. His hands squeezed the young mans tight ass, his finger tips finding the wet hole there and teasing it as he continued to thrust into Tali.

This continued for a while but then, fluid as always, Varis slowly pulled from Tali and with a kiss to the head pulled away from Sorinel's hard dick. He moved back and admired the view, the half elf female, legs spread, smooth bare pussy shining in the light it was so wet, her stomach rising and falling as she dragged in breaths. Her boyfriend standing, his prick also shining from the saliva of Varis's mouth, still rock hard, twitching in the air.

"Did you like your Master sucking your cock, Sorinel? Was I better then Tali? I am curious, I have been sucking cock since I was younger than you, but she is a half elf, I wonder how many lovers she has had in her long years of life, hm?" He asked in a soft voice as he stood now. "Why don't you give her what she wants. She says she prefers your cock to mine, so fuck her, fuck your elf for me. She me how you can pleasure her better than me."

Sorinel shifted around and slid into his woman. The look on his face showed that he was experiencing the fact that she was a little less tight than usual, and maybe a little slicker. He shifted, adjusting, trying to figure out the parameters of this new situation. He grabbed her legs and hoisted them, pressing her knees back to her small elvish chest. He gripped them, spreading them, then started to fuck her, shifting to hit an angle that her face said was just right. He held her in place, driving in and out. She looked up at him, purring "mmmm you know just where I ..." then gasped and whined softly in the back of her throat as he hit that perfect spot "right there baby right there"

He gave the older man a knowing grin, one that said "yeah, I DO know how to fuck my woman right. This is how it's done." He set a pace that seemed to work for Tali, as her moans and gasps started to reach that same pitch as when she first felt the more impressive girth of Varis manhood inside her. She rocked on the bed, moving as best she can with her legs held, trying to fuck Sorinel back, trying to subtly show him exactly how she wanted it. For his part, he read all her signs like a man who'd seen them a thousand times before, and frankly he probably had. They moved in unison, and in moving together some of the hate left the boy. "It doesn't matter how many men she's fucked, Varis. The only number that matters is how many men she loves and that number is one."

He avoided answering Varis question about whether the old man was a better cocksucker. At least for now.

Varis watched all this play out with interest, watching Tali audibly guide her man to what she wanted. Kellan wondered now if she was the one in charge of this relationship, she did seem to make all the choices for them both, and even here she was subtly making Sorinel pleasure her how she wanted, but was it what he wanted was the question. If Varis had asked the man right now in the throes of pleasure he would probably answer yes, yes, this is how he wanted to fuck her, but in the cold light of day with some introspection would be honestly feel the same? Varis also noticed Sorinel hadn't answered him about who's cock sucking skills were best. Was that an innocent mistake as he got caught up fucking Tali, or had he deliberately ignored the question, not that it mattered. Varis knew, Tali knew and Sorinel knew. The boy might not have said anything out loud, but his expressions and moans of pleasure had been all any of them needed to know the answer. Right now perhaps he was clinging to his denial of liking sex with men, that would change Varis was sure.

Cock in hand he moved closer to Sorinel's head, gently reaching out to turn it and lift so the man was looking up at his Master. "It's time you showed me your oral skills, Sorinel. Suck your Master's cock."

The cock in question throbbed, lifting and dropping almost like a heartbeat in front of the younger mans face. Kellan wiped the tip over his lips as he smiled down at Tali, then looked back at Sorinel. "She wants to see you do it, she wants to see you have sex with men, she said so .... don't disappoint Tali now when you are doing do well."

Sorinel froze. Just like that he froze. Varis' taunting had him caught between what he needed to do, and what he wanted to do, and what he didn't necessarily want to admit that maybe he did sort of want to do. Tali looked up at him "baby?" then over at Varis "if you broke him, you're gonna have to fix him."

Tali reached up and strokes Sorinel's face "just this once baby. Just once. For us. I love you so much don't make me go off to the North. Please baby."

The young man stiffened, closing his eyes. Varis could feel the sorrow and rage and impotence coursing through him, to the core of the young man's being. He was wound taut, and on the verge of snapping. Tali rocked her hips a little "come on baby. Come on. we can do this. We can do this and then we never have to do anything like this again." She ran her fingers through his hair, pulling him down, kissing him softly "just... you know. Lie back and think of home. But you know, don't lie back. More like. Kneel." she wrapped her legs around him, rocking against him. He looked down at her, wounded and betrayed a bit, but nodded. He turned to Varis and sighed "alright. How do I do it?" He slid out of his woman, then got down on his knees, looking up at the master and his throbbing cock.

Smiling down at the young man, Varis stroked his hair gently, then his face, almost like a lover, but making sure sparks of magical power erupted from his fingertips causing Sorinel's skin to prickle pleasurably and sending pulses of that pleasure through the mans core. Magic could be used for many different things, some they didn't teach openly at the Tower, some you just had to learn yourself and this was one of them. If he had wanted he could of broke the man's mind, made him his servant, made him think he wanted all this, but that wasn't what Varis wanted. Sorinel was an important part of the Tower's plans now, as was Tali. They had been assigned and if Kellan broke them then even he would have to answer. No, he just wanted to see how far they would bend. Their duties would be more than simply magical support for those who hired them, they would be spies, diplomats and even fighters if the need arose. It required a flexible mind, an ability to bend with the flow and survive.

"Don't worry, it come naturally to you, believe me. Start by licking my cock, by balls, handle it as you do, show me how much you want to be with Tali, how much you want a life with her. If you please me I promise you both I will do everything in my power to give you what you want."

Because he spoke the truth he didn't have to act sincere. This wasn't him being an arrogant prick just wanting to fuck young mages, well, ok, some of it was, but he fully intended to live up to his part of the bargain. He looked at Tali and smiled as Sorinel knelt before him. "Why don't you give your man a nice rimming, he seemed to like my tongue in his ass, why not yours?"

Sorin looked down at Varis dick and shuddered with barely suppressed revulsion. When Varis power touched the young man he could feel the conflict. Sorinel wanted to please Tali very badly, and the magic Varis was using on him was making him feel good. His cock was iron hard, aching, straining, wanting so badly to finish, to get off. Tali's tongue brushed between his cheeks and his self control broke. He leaned over "y... yes Master Varis" then looked up at the older man. He sealed his lips around the crown of Varis cock, timid, letting his tongue brush the slit of the head and tasting Varis' precum on it. He flushed as Tali's tongue wormed up into his ass, really licking him out. He half sobbed half moaned, then inexpertly took Varis into his virginal mouth, sliding deep, gagging as he wasn't used to it. He jerked back, then tried again, experimenting, trying to find a depth that didnt cut off his air.

He reached for the base of Varis' cock, trying to do what Tali had done, unable to look up at Varis as he did so, he sucked in his cheeks as best he could and slowly mouthed the older mage, struggling to keep his teeth off the cock while still pulling in and giving the older man as much friction as he could. His loose fingers pulled at Varis prick, and the older mage could taste a melange of shame lust and fury all smoldering under the surface, still Sorinel moved faster with each pass, genuinely trying to make the man spurt into his mouth. "How is that master Varis?" he pulled off, then sucked just the head, doing a workmanlike job if not as good as his girl.

Kellan sighed then gasped as Sorinel hit a sensitive area of his cock head. He smiled down at the younger man. "Hmmm, not bad for a beginner. Don't try to take all of me at once, take your time."

Varis stroked the mans hair softly as he smiled at Tali busily eating out her mans ass as if her life depended on it. He chuckled softly to himself, he knew how that felt and how it must feel for this virgin at such games. He hoped Tali's enthusiasm, real or otherwise, would help Sorinel loosen up, but he could feel the mans continued resistance. The pleasure we was receiving hadn't quite won him over from the shyness, frustration and distaste for what he was being asked to do. Still, for a novice cock sucker Varis had to admit Sorinel was doing well. It was odd the amount of men who found sucking cock to be quite a natural thing once they tried it, and of course there would always be those who refused to accept they enjoyed it and only did it under duress. Ah, well, Sorinel would find his own path, everyone did. Slowly, without forcing his cock deeper, Varis began to gently fuck the young man's mouth. His fingertips still sending bolts of pleasure into the man's body.

"How are you doing, Tali?" He asked in a husky, lust filled voice. "Is his ass nice and wet now?" He winked at the half elf.

Tali grinned "he's relaxing" He could hear the wet sound of her deeply rimming Sorinel, and he could feel through his link the deep relaxation and pleasure that Sorinel was experiencing from his woman rimming. Sorinel relaxed and started really sucking Varis cock, his tongue tentatively working the shaft. He clearly had no experience, but he tried to do what he liked. His tongue grazed around and around the head of the cock, sliding around, then his lips tugged at the head. He wrapped his hand around Varis' cock, stroking him into his mouth. Sorinel started fucking him with his mouth, sliding down till the head was nearly in the back of his throat, then drew back up. Finally he looked up at Varis, trying to ascertain whether or not his ministrations were having the intended effect. His hand continued stroking, and then he released his cock, sucking on Varis' balls. He swirled his tongue around them, then returned his mouth to the head, rolling his tongue around and around it as his hand stroked him, milking that fat cock into his virgin mouth.

He wanted to fuck the boy, he really did. Two parts of Varis were warring inside, one who knew Sorinel was a virgin to gay sex, had probably never had anything but tongues up his ass and would certainly feel pain if Varis slid his thick dick inside him. The other part was more bestial, more lustful, almost not caring if the man was in pain. He growled as Sorinel's tactics and abilities at sucking cock seemed to grow by the minute. He could feel his orgasm clawing its way from his balls to his cock. He groaned, head falling back, hands resting on the mans head as his hips began to fuck the warm mouth harder now. He could feel Sorinel choking, gagging as his cock pushed at his throat, but he didn't stop. Damn it, he was to close to stop now, maybe another time he would claim the boys ass, but right now he needed the release.

"Get ready to receive your Masters cum, boy." He growled out as his body began to stiffen, tremble, then with a loud grunt and groan his cock throbbed, pulsed and began sending shots of warm creamy cum into Sorinel's mouth and throat.

Varis held the boy to him preventing him from pulling away, every shot of cum landed in his mouth as Varis fucked slowly, getting every drop from him before, finally, slowly releasing Sorinel's head and moving back a couple of steps to stare down at him and Tali with a satisfied smile.

"Very good, very, very good." He complimented Sorinel as he reclaimed the chair he had been sitting in, his cock half hard now, a few drops of cum still leaking from the engorged cock head. "You are a natural cock sucker, Sorinel, be proud of that. Tali, come clean me up, my dear while your love fucks you. I want to see him use you, either hole, his choice."

Sorinel looked down in shame, but not so much shame that he wasn't about to finish. He slid into Tali and grabbed her slim hips, then started pounding into her, fucking her with hard long strokes of his cock. She moaned as her mouth was filled with Varis, sucking him clean as both cocks took her. Sorinel's hands ran along her sides, then gripped her hips again, drawing her back with every thrust. He couldn't look at Varis, instead just watching him slide deep into her over and over.

Tali sucked Varis clean, her mouth sliding along his shaft, till finally Sorinel popped free of her and came across her back, groaning as his cock spurt thick and white across her back, coating her in a release. He moaned, then leaned over her, still unable to look up, trying to look anywhere but Varis as he caught his breath.

"No need to feel ashamed, Sorinel. Sex is important, but it isn't supposed to be soul destroying. It's a tool, one you better learn to use." Varis stated as he slipped his now hard again cock from Tali's wet lips and began to dress. "You did well, you take instruction well too, you both do." He continued looking down at Tali with her lither smooth pale skinned back covered in her mans thick creamy cum. Varis ran a finger through the cum then sucked it clean, sampling the younger mans seed. "Hmm, I could get used to that. You taste good, boy. Tali, you are incredible, a true goddess, he doesn't deserve you ... but I think he will, in time. He has a lot of growing up to do and these first few assignments will teach him and you I think."

Fully dressed now, his cock still pushing his robe out in front a little, Varis turned to their door, but when he got there he stopped, one hand resting on the handle as he looked back.

"You have my word, you will have new assignments by tomorrow and will be together. I wish you both well .... one question if I may? Why didn't you finish inside her, Sorinel. I felt her pussy, it is perfection, I know the pleasure you felt so why not take everything she has and unload deep inside her?"

Sorinel shrugged "she likes it on her, for whatever reason. I'm happy to oblige"

Tali laughed and shrugged "I don't know why. Honestly, I like it when a man just unloads on my face or my back." The two saw him out, and as he left he heard them going another round inside. Probably Tali's way of cutting off problems from the night down the line.

The air was warm, but not too warm with a nice breeze off the lake. The town was safe enough at night, and so there was an uneventful walk back to his rooms. As he walked, he saw a shooting star pass behind the tower of sorcery. They were always an omen, a message sent from the gods. The question remained as to what it portended. Perhaps a visit to the augurs was in order. No doubt the dean would tell him anyway, but still... Something to take care of in the morning perhaps.

Varis had an unsettled nights sleep. Dreams, or rather nightmares plagued him making him toss and turn and when light finally broke he rose feeling tired. He tried to recall the dreams, feeling they were of importance and the shooting star of the night before sprung to his mind. He couldn't shake the image of it or what it might portend. Heading to the Tower library he began his own research knowing it would gain him nothing to bring this to the Master of the Tower. Even the Augers were dismissive stating if anything so monumental had been ordained they would surely know. The hubris of their comments made Varis angry, but he left before speaking harsh words and instead took up a position in the library as he pulled scroll after scroll and book after book from the shelves. The more he researched the heavier his heart became.

There were legends and myths of a great evil, a demon lord of such power that when he had strode the earth millennia ago he had ruled it with an iron hand and no mercy. Evil was he, and his mark corrupted all those touched by it. What made things worse was how he could possess anyone he wished, make them slaves to his will, spies within households of Kings or peasant alike. No secret was safe from him and he reigned for hundreds of years until, finally, a way had been found to stop him. A mystic group of mages gathered to debate how to bring him down and what they found worked. Their small group fought back and slowly, very slowly the tide turned. Gathering forces around them they finally banished the Demon Lord, who's name was Scaroth, back to the dark realms from which he had come.

There was only one problem. The scrolls and books didn't reveal how the magical order had fought the demons hosts, only that whatever it was had worked. All they did say was that Scaroth's return would be announced by the falling of a red star, such a star as Varis had seen the night before. Scratching his head in frustration, Varis was about to replace the books and think on it when he noticed an old manuscript he had almost missed. Pulling it toward him he read slowly, the language ancient and almost indecipherable. It didn't give him an explanation to Scaroth's defeat, but it did give a location of the last known location of the order of mages. A far distant town in the kingdom of Averia. Sitting back and thinking Varis knew it was the only lead he had. If the shooting star meant nothing then there was no harm in him investigating it with these mages, if they even still existed. However if, as he suspected, evil was once again stretching out its hand they would know and only they held the clue to beating it.

The problem with omens is they tended to be hard to nail down. Famously, the Augur Oleg of Kier declared that the return of the crimson comet, passing through the constellation The Hunter meant that the child destined to overthrow the ruling house of the country of Karsk was born on that night. After the Slaughter of the Innocents, the people of Karsk raised an army and overthrew the ruling house without the aid of any special children. Further, it was revealed that the comet had actually signified the birth of the prophetess Luin. Some suggested that Oleg had pushed the unstable ruler of Karsk to destroy his own dynasty for personal reasons. Some suggested that augury was bunk.

Still, despite this knowledge, Varis had a deep and unexplainable certainty that he was correct. The problem, of course, was that he was not from the college of Augurs and everyone outside of the college had a deep suspicion of the art. Many a young collegian had a "certain" read of a prophecy or a sign that nobody else endorsed, and was usually wrong. Varis could feel it though, feel it in a way that felt like the knowledge was coming from outside of himself.

When he got to class, he was distracted... dangerous for a sorcerer. Fortunately he wasn't casting, but merely discussing theory. A mixture of bored young students and overly eager ones sat with varying degrees of attention. After class, Haakon came to find him "what's your plan for testing the boys from yesterday?"

Varis had been sitting at his desk deep in thought, his friends words brought him out of his swirling ideas and he looked up, smiling.

"I have a notion to take them with me on a little journey, my friend." He closed the book on his desk and sat back looking up at the Elf guard captain. "I need to undertake a quest, one which I feel is of vital import not only to us here in the Tower, to the whole world. It seemed to me that these two boys came to us on the day the star fell. Was it sheer coincidence or was it perhaps prophecy taking a hand." He stood and walked to the window, looking out over the town, his hands clasped behind his back. "Both of them have their own skills, they both are unique and I feel powerful in their individual talents. They may not know it yet, and it maybe foolish of me, but I will take them with me. If we succeed they will have passed tests far more dangerous and instructive than anything we could show them within these walls, and if we fail ..."

He paused and for a moment stood statue still as a cool breeze blew over him making him shiver. Suddenly he turned and flashed a confident smile at his friend.

"Have them ready to depart within the hour and if they wish to know where we are going or why simply tell them it is a field trip for me to see their merit. The rest they will discover on our journey." He picked up a letter and past it to Haakon. "Please hand this to the assignments officer, it overrides Sorinel and Tali's orders with new ones. They will be sent together on their initial mission."

Haakon frowned "so you believe the comet an ill omen? The augurs say that it portends a drought in the Dinar Basin. Everything portends a drought in the Dinar Basin. It is the laziest thing to say when you don't know what something is." Haakon sighed heavily "If you're going on the road, you'll need blades as well as sorcery. Are you taking the boy's guards? Do you want me or one of my lieutenants to join you? It would be hard for me to get away, but if you convince the deans... They might spare me." The elf knew that Varis' instinct for trouble was good, though normally it was because Varis was instigating that trouble. Still, it was a sign of the Elf's loyalty to his friend that he offered to come "Though, if I come or one of my lieutenants does, it would attract attention." Haakon looked out over the town, always loving the view from the balcony "And are you going to do more research? or do you wish to set out right away? If you've a few days I can plan and provision you. Let me know how many men to expect and the length of your journey, where you might be going."

He took the letter, ready to depart "Let me know by tonight what you might need and when you intend to set out."

Varis nodded and watched his friend depart. Everything in him screamed to set out now, but Haakon's cooler head was as always right. One didn't set out on such a perilous quest at the drop of a hat. Supplies, and yes, even protection was a sensible idea. Varis intended to try and stay as undercover as he could, easy enough for mages and sorcerers on the road as they tended to wear simple robes or civilian dress, harder though for Tower guards unless they to put their usual armor aside and instead wore less obtrusive clothing. If they did they would pass as mere mercenaries hired to protect Varis and his group. Yes, that made sense to him, but should Haakon himself come? Part of Varis desired his friend beside him, he had trusted him with his life many times and Haakon had always been faithful, but to pull him from his duties at the same time as Varis leaving his would bring unwanted attention. No, Haakon stayed, but perhaps he could pick two of his most trusted guards to accompany Varis, Marco and Giovanni on their trip. he would speak to the Elf about it later.

Haakon's mention of the Augurs prophecy of drought made Kellan smile. Drought was a safe bet, especially in the Dinar Basin and especially after one of the driest growing seasons in history. One didn't need a falling star to portend a drought there. He considered quizzing the Augur's anyway. He never really put much stock in their predications, but even by accident they might offer up a pearl of wisdom. He stood and left his classroom making his way to the Augur's chambers smelling the incense as he grew nearer and donning a serious and respectful expression as he passed under the archway of their temple and looked for one of the men or women who prayed and worked here.

He was met at first by a minor acolyte who, recognizing his station, went to find one of the more senior augurs. "You're here about the comet" she guessed. "Unless you're just trying to see if you're going to catch the pox again this year." She grinned just slightly, and ushered him into an alcove "I suppose by now you've heard, the word has gone out. It signifies drought. Nothing more auspicious than that. According to the head augur. I confess that I haven't personally read the signs. I assume you're here for a second opinion?"

She gestured at a series of books of prophecy, as well as star charts and the like "I can take a few days and look at the signs, read the ancient prophecies again and see if there's some other interpretation. Or if you are in some sort of hurry we can try to contact a denizen of the outer planes. Be warned though, they have their own agendas and are not always truthful."

Kellan smiled at the woman, "It's so hard to find truthful denizens these days ... or Augurs for that matter." His smile grew as he looked her over. He recognised her from his previous visits to the Augurs though they had never been formerly introduced, unluckily for him. "However if you have the time I am in a hurry. Despite what your brethren say I know there is more to this, I ... I feel it." He shrugged, unable to voice his feeling any better.

All his life he had had the ability, though he never knew what to call it. It wasn't prophecy or divination. He couldn't tell the future, even his own, but at times he had been overcome by a sensation, a thought, a dream which had guided him and so far they had always been right. Was he to doubt them now?

"My name is Kellan Varis, and I need your help, Augur."

"I know you by reputation Master Kellan." She sat back, steepling her fingers. "There are some here that see a great darkness in your future. A Shadow which casts its pall across the land and indeed your very soul. There is much whispering. Augurs are incurable gossips. All in the name of confirming what we see in the signs of course. Still, there is indeed a great deal of agreement that something wicked lies in your future. Though the college is split on whether that wickedness is within our without."

She muttered a word and heated the water in a kettle. she placed a ball of loose tea into it, then set it to steep. She drew out a cup and saucer, setting it before Kellan, then one for herself. "I do not much care which it is. The future is the future and it is either immutable or it is not genuinely readable. If the future can be changed with a word, then augury is nothing but guessing." She poured the tea for herself, leaving the kettle to his discretion "and so I harbor no illusions that what I say has value. I suppose that's why they brought you to me." She smiled "What is it you want me to do for you?"

What did he want? For a moment he sat silent, staring at her tea as if it would give him an answer.

"I suppose I wanted validation. I intend to set out on a quest, to see if my feeling on this matter is true or false. I have a destination, the town of Ossa in the Kingdom of Averia. It was once the home of a group of Mages. According to legend they once turned back a great evil that gripped this land, a demon lord. The falling star ... it could signify his return. My feelings on this are true, I know they are, and yet ..." He shrugged, a small smile curling his lips as he raised his hands on resignation. "I suppose I wanted to see if I was alone in my apprehension or not. It would be nice to know that some I leave behind believed me.

Her foretelling of a darkness in his future didn't concern him. As a sorcerer he had never believed he would die in his sleep, but if his thoughts on this falling star and what it might portend were true then yes, a darkness indeed lay on his path. A chill suddenly ran through him and his hands twitched involuntarily. He curled them into fists for a moment before looking up into her eyes. he realised they were rather beautiful.

Back