A modest proposal

The only unsubjective way to choose a poem of the year is votes and/or views. OK That's taking a very broad view of what is and isn't subjective and I guess some saddo can spend half a day clicking onto their poem to increase their views.

The fact that I more or less know that the winning poem will probably not be to my liking is fair enough. I have the same to face with films, music and just about anything else in life.

Popularity wins success and its a fact. :rolleyes:

Angeline said:
They do have that contest. Nominations for best poem of the year in each category will come out after the "poet/writer/editor/etc.' ones close. Of course those nominations are based on views and votes, so I'm sure many here will not be happy with the selections--given all the fuss about voting, but there is a "best" poem contest. :)

bogusbrig said:
The only unsubjective way to choose a poem of the year is votes and/or views. OK That's taking a very broad view of what is and isn't subjective and I guess some saddo can spend half a day clicking onto their poem to increase their views.

The fact that I more or less know that the winning poem will probably not be to my liking is fair enough. I have the same to face with films, music and just about anything else in life.

Popularity wins success and its a fact. :rolleyes:

I took it seriously the first year I was here. I had never been involved in such doings before and didn't know what to expect.

I was naive.

I found out that's it's a popularity contest and a pretty cutthroat one at that.

Now I just do my thing. I nominate and vote based on the criteria that make sense to me and then I don't lose sleep over it. I'm here because I love writing and you people are good for my muse. Contests are unimportant compared to that.

Angeline said:
I took it seriously the first year I was here. I had never been involved in such doings before and didn't know what to expect.

I was naive.

I found out that's it's a popularity contest and a pretty cutthroat one at that.

Now I just do my thing. I nominate and vote based on the criteria that make sense to me and then I don't lose sleep over it. I'm here because I love writing and you people are good for my muse. Contests are unimportant compared to that.
We've both been around here for about 4 years and we've learned the way it is. The best poems don't always get Hs, Es, top lists, most votes, most comments, attention, awards, etc.
I think basically two kinds of poets are happiest at lit: those who don't care about all the crap listed above, and those who care about all the crap listed above and have found a way to get it. :)

Eve and Ange,

I do not know who else has won, but I know that the two of you have both won, which in a very real way gives me faith that in the long run, we can trust that people do use and will use sound criteria in their selection -- and that what people like is a combination of talent, helpfulness, dedication.

And those things are what make people popular.

Talent: it is individual taste
Helpfulness: is a matter of perspective, different people find different techniques to be helpful.
Dedication: it is a matter of what the person is dedicated to, and if the individual thinks that this dedication is meaningful.

And Eve:
I think basically two kinds of poets are happiest at lit: those who don't care about all the crap listed above, and those who care about all the crap listed above and have found a way to get it

you missed one category of happy people:
people who do not care about "all this crap" but still have found a way to get it. :)

people who do not care about "all this crap" but still have found a way to get it.
No one likes those people. :rolleyes:

and that what people like is a combination of talent, helpfulness, dedication.
and ass avs. :devil:

WickedEve said:
people who do not care about "all this crap" but still have found a way to get it.
No one likes those people. :rolleyes:

and that what people like is a combination of talent, helpfulness, dedication.
and ass avs. :devil:

I'm screwed.....no ass AV...

The_Fool said:
I'm screwed.....no ass AV...
you could correct that problem. :)
or give us a pic of some
other part,
like your
big
big
toe.

Back