A new day for The Outriders (dnd ttrpg PM Siobhan before joining to see if she can handle another)

The morning after:

The next morning after the night spent with the Dryads. Tiyak, expected to be exhausted but actually felt rather lively. Perhaps some of whatever energy source the forest was using to sustain him through last nights events still percolated within him. Still, his body was a bit stiff and sore, so he thought he would make use of the bath house. He stopped by his camp and dropped his things off there. He wrapped himself in a thin linen cloth he had sourced for cutting bandages from, however since he hadn’t any real need of it this far, it made a nice free flowing garment to sustain at least a bit of modesty on behalf of the others. Finding the bath house initially empty, he discarded the cloth, and stepped gingerly into the soothing waters. The seemingly dozens of tiny cuts and scrapes over his chest stung a bit as he remembered the Dryads thorn like nails and teeth marks. He smiled and rather chuckled to himself as he sat with his arms spread wide , lounging with his body floating out in front of him. “Forest magic indeed” as he remarked at the sight of his own member, still rock hard and raring to go.

"they're made in house. There's a tolerably good kitchen staff here. Try the shwarma." The man made idle chitchat, then excused himself, leaving them free reign to wander the guildhouse or take whatever action they might feel they needed to.

“So… I guess we look around… speak to people… try and find that job board?”
She looks up at Nuada and grins.
“Are the biscuits really that good or were you just being polite?”

Nuada "yes they are" he passes the plate to Bubble slapping Trilan hands away "lets nose around here a bit more see if there any jobs we can pick up - He did seem reticent about telling us about any work. I wonder if there are any charcoal sellers in the market - they would have a good idea of what is going on in the forest, plus lamb chunks on a skewer cooked over charcoal are delightful"

Bubbles takes a biscuit and nibbles on the corner tasting it… savouring it’s flavour before taking another one and placing them both in her pocket for later.

“Lead the way boys….”

Nuada hands the plate to Trilan "fill your boots mate" lowers his voice "well that was a bit of a waste of time, could not get any tells to see if he was lying so either he is very good at lying or the guild do not know about it or the magistrate was lying. So lets mingle round in the common area and see what we can overhear if anything"

Bubbles keeps her eyes and ears open as she follows after the boys. She lets out a soft sigh getting annoyed with all the noise and hustle and bustle of the city crowding her senses. After years of being alone in solitary the noise of the city and the people are starting to get to her.

Trilan takes in as much as he can. This whole plan seems a bit slapped together, but he might as well be on the lookout for anything that might help

Continuing to not take the excellent advice they've been given not once but twice (by independent sources no less) about going to see the priestesses at the temple, the party mills about the main room. There, as they pass by various tables, they hear various tales of woe. Mostly, the work is rejected by the officials behind the desk as either belonging directly to the city guard, not having enough money behind it, or simply not being interesting enough. Much of it is pedestrian, or insane. Tales of being stalked by large groups of unidentified people, missing goats, and allegations of infidelity. There are, of course, a few reports of missing persons that the party is able to listen in on. They range from the very young to the very old, though often through the careful questioning of the functionaries behind the desks it becomes apparent that there are rational explanations. Gambling debts, a lover, unhappy home lives. The trio is treated, over the course of several hours, to a wide-ranging selection of human misery without reference to anything that sounds nearly as fun as a forbidden sex cult.

Only one lead seems promising. A woman in simple clothing of good quality, indicating some sort of middle-class background. She is fairly attractive and she is complaining of her missing sister. With a discerning eye, the party decides that she alone of all the people here might have some connection to a sex cult. Indeed, the functionaries behind the desk agree to take her case on, until they tell the fee. Angrily, she storms out of the guild hall.

Trilan hurries after her, darting between the legs of the taller folk around him.

“Miss! Miss!” he calls, waving his arms

Nuada checks that Bubbles has seen Trilan start to chase the woman. He follows along.

Bubbles follows along behind them. She keeps an eye on them and follows at a bit of a distance with her little legs. Deep in thought about the woman's situation, a missing sister is not a good sign... especially with the sex cult on the loose. She really hopes that her sister is just off visiting a friend or something.

The woman turned, looking the trio over. She drew her cloak around herself a moment, then relaxed when she saw the trio's emblems indicating they were part of the guild. "Good morning" She shifted, unsure, then extended a hand. "I don't suppose you've decided to take my case up after all?" She looked between the three, settling her eyes on Trilan as he had been the one to hail her. "I don't think I left anything at the house."

“No, ma’am,” Trilan began. “And, while we don’t speak for the guild, we’re interested in hearing more about your case.” He stepped closer, and held out his arm, indicating that they should walk together. “We’re new in the area, and well, we could use a case like yours to get our foot in the door.” We waved off any potential objections. “Oh, I assure you, we’ve built up quite the resumé of experience up north. You needn’t be concerned that you’d be hiring amateurs. But, due to our situation-and don’t tell the rest of my band I said this—you may be able to wheedle a discount out of us.”

Nuada wondered how much gold could the woman afford. The main reason to smash the cult was the plantation. Still operational expenses would have to be recouped. He let the pair get ahead motioning Bubbles to do the same. "How are you finding life amongst so many people?" He asked Bubbles

Bubbles continues to walk at a distance and keep an eye and ear on the woman ahead.
“Noisy… Busy… filthy…”
She lets out a soft sigh
“I knew this day would come at some stage… “

Nuada says "It was a shock the first time I went to a human town, I was lucky as had not been a hermit so I was used to having people around me. But yes the noise and the smells can be overpowering. Am sure you will learn to cope. it does take a while. Are you not hot in that robe?"

“Hopefully I adjust to it soon… sometimes I wish I was taller. My neck gets sore from having to look up all the time and my legs hurt as I need to basically run to keep up with everyone. I mean I always knew I was short but it never really was a problem when I lived alone… And as for the robe… it stays on…”

Nuada says "Well if need be am sure we can work someway for bigguns to carry you till your stamina has built up, let see where Trilan has got to with getting information"

The woman frowned as Trilan basically stated that they were absolutely not doing this with guild permission despite being guild members and that they'd undercut the guild prices. "you should probably talk to your solicitor about what you just said to me so you don't end up in the stocks." She looked around "I am concerned about my sister, however. I'm willing to listen to what you have to say."

Nuada smiles "Thank you. It is true we are new to the area. We are helping an aquaintance locate a missing family member. They think the family member was attracted to a new religious group or sex cult as they put it. They also said a number of other people had been reported as missing. Now it may be that the disappearance of your sister is unrelated." He paused a moment to give the woman chance to react.

Trilan gave her a sympathetic look. "I'd like to see your sister safely reunited with you, dear. Why don't you tell us what you can remember about the last time she was seen?"

Bubbles hesitates for a moment as she is not a big fan of speaking with people. She has been out of touch with people for so long that she is afraid of doing more damage than good with her words. When you only have the animals to talk to it’s kinda hard to gain social skills.

Bubbles pushes herself forward to stand before the lady as she pulls down her hood.
“It is true that we have been given a task by an acquaintance to find a missing family member that may have been taken by some cult. The way I understand things is you are also missing a family member. And while the guild hasn’t “sanctioned” us looking into your case I can’t see why we can’t look for both missing family members. I pray to the almighty that your sister is safe and has just taken a trip and forgotten to tell you… or is taking care of someone… but while we are already in the lookout for one person I can’t see why we can’t keep an eye out for a 2nd person? I know that if I had a missing family member I would do all that was in my power to find them and from the sound of it that is what you have been doing with little luck. So why not give us a chance to see what we can come up with? What’s the worst that could happen - the people of the town including the guards don’t seem to be helping - there can’t be any harm in letting us try and see what we come up with? “

Bubbles gives a small bow and goes back to hiding under her hood as she turns around and starts walking.

At Bubbles words the woman looks a good bit more relieved "that makes sense." She turned to the gnome to respond further but Bubbles draws her hood around herself. She shrugs and turns back to Trilan. "My parents own a tavern. She has been working there. Her husband, Oktar, is a drover for a caravan. Their life has not been ideal She is NOT the kind of girl though that would join a ... sex cult" Her lips curl in distaste. "My parents are aging, I have to work with my husband in his shop and I cannot leave our business to run theirs. Our brothers died in the skirmish with Krakydos a few years ago. They were in the navy. My sister is full of filial piety and would not abandon my parents to just run off. I thought, however, that she might be kidnapped. Lots of disreputable" She pauses a moment to summon up a diplomatic turn of phrase "adventurer types frequent the tavern. It is near the main square and so it is central to the city. Also a fair number of government types are often in attendance. My sister has not been to work in two days. Her house is in disarray, but nothing seems to be missing. Not even the little cash box she and her husband had squirreled away."

Nuada says "If you have time would you be able to introduce us to your parents at the Inn? We will then be able to find out what if anything they know, as well as perhaps see if any patrons take an undue interest in us"

Back