An Erotic Art Challenge

I feel naked. And like I should pull the shade down. :eek:

Ya know my poem sounds both better and hotter when someone else reads it. Or maybe just when you read it, Tzara...hmmm. Maybe we all need to try this more.

The Kinnell is perfect. I had to answer it. The rendering is kinda sappy but the poem is immense.
It is quite interesting to have someone else (in my case, someone female) read one of your (my) poems. It feels very intimate, although it isn't, of course. Voice is, unsurprisingly, very affecting.

I think it would be interesting to have a thread where we read other people's poems, especially one where someone writes a poem for a particular reader to read. We might have trouble getting enough people to read, though. Perhaps we would need to first get a list of people willing to record poems.

I'll mull that idea over for a while and see if I can come up with something workable.

One of the interesting things for me about your poem is that I had written one a couple of years ago based on the same print by Hokousai.

Yours is better. :)

I think it would be interesting to have a thread where we read other people's poems, especially one where someone writes a poem for a particular reader to read. We might have trouble getting enough people to read, though. Perhaps we would need to first get a list of people willing to record poems.

I'll mull that idea over for a while and see if I can come up with something workable.

The Let's Hear It thread could work for that...

I would be most humbled honored and willing to read / voice to people's poems ...just let me know !

I would be most humbled honored and willing to read / voice to people's poems ...just let me know !

Post something on the Lets Hear It thread, one of your own, a favorite, you're welcome to read any of mine that strike your fancy, most of mine are consolidated on the Tripe thread.

Knowing how you sound/read would help to match/tailor a piece to your voice.

Post something on the Lets Hear It thread, one of your own, a favorite, you're welcome to read any of mine that strike your fancy, most of mine are consolidated on the Tripe thread.

Knowing how you sound/read would help to match/tailor a piece to your voice.

Totally awesome Trix thank you ...just message me if you have a fav one you want me to read ...and I will read it in the morning ...going to go see about how to set up that program that everyone is using ...

if you wish to read one of mine your more then welcome to take your pick there is definitely plenty posted heh

It is quite interesting to have someone else (in my case, someone female) read one of your (my) poems. It feels very intimate, although it isn't, of course. Voice is, unsurprisingly, very affecting.

One of the interesting things for me about your poem is that I had written one a couple of years ago based on the same print by Hokousai.

Yours is better. :)

There are a few things I'm thinking of changing in that poem already. First, I wonder if I should change "tell" to "speak" and second, whether I should substitute something for "inhumanity" which sounds kind of general and blah to me, especially for the last word.

Ok I won this round of tentacle sex poetry. :cool: You read it beautifully though. By the way, I thought you likely recognized it as my poem because you get how I break lines and then there's the nod to ee cummings in the title.

The Let's Hear It thread could work for that...

It could. I think Tzara is proposing something different. Maybe I'm wrong...

Other concerns:

1) I can't give carte blanche to read any of my poems here because some are rewritten and published or submitted for publication elsewhere (or will be). If I choose (or write anew) myself I know there's no copyright issue. I know you're not asking anyone to offer everything to be read by others, just saying that's why I can't.

2) This probably sounds paranoid, but if I'm sharing more than an occasional poem to be read, I'd like in writing at the top of the thread something to the effect that participants agree that reading/recording/discussion of a poem in that thread stays within it. Just a good idea imo and also a reason to have people sign up in advance. Can someone still come along and just copy links? Yes, but I'd still feel better knowing people made a commitment.

Your thread is more open and I think that's good and obviously successful here. But maybe we could do it both ways.

Trix? Tzara? Poets? Bueller?

Last edited:
There are a few things I'm thinking of changing in that poem already. First, I wonder if I should change "tell" to "speak" and second, whether I should substitute something for "inhumanity" which sounds kind of general and blah to me, especially for the last word.

Ok I won this round of tentacle sex poetry. :cool: You read it beautifully though. By the way, I thought you likely recognized it as my poem because you get how I break lines and then there's the nod to ee cummings in the title.

Other concerns:

1) I can't give carte blanche to read any of my poems here because some are rewritten and published or submitted for publication elsewhere (or will be). If I choose (or write anew) myself I know there's no copyright issue. I know you're not asking anyone to offer everything to be read by others, just saying that's why I can't.

2) This probably sounds paranoid, but if I'm sharing more than an occasional poem to be read, I'd like in writing at the top of the thread something to the effect that participants agree that reading/recording/discussion of a poem in that thread stays within it. Just a good idea imo and also a reason to have people sign up in advance. Can someone still come along and just copy links? Yes, but I'd still feel better knowing people made a commitment.

Your thread is more open and I think that's good and obviously successful here. But maybe we could do it both ways.

Trix? Tzara? Poets? Bueller?

Hmm, food for thought. Maybe we should do a separate Voice Requests thread that lays out the boundaries.

No, you're right. I've not fully conceived what I think I want to do, but it is (1) more than just reading other people's work, and (2) structured so as to control what poems are made available for reading.

Like Angie, I have concerns about things I write here being effectively dumped into the public domain. I have reasons for that that are probably a little different than hers, but still something I am concerned about.

But this isn't a problem that needs to be solved today, as we have an active challenge that will last through December. So think about endings and change, people. ;)

Back