An Erotic Art Challenge

The poems and poets have been matched.

Any surprises? In addition to the matches, any other surprises? For example, I was surprised how sensual the Vermeer painting appeared to me after reading Seanathon's poem about it when I otherwise probably would have glossed over the painting.
going over to have a look in a moment :)

i totally agree about a changed perspective looking at the painting. i've seen images of it before, but never really took the time or shifted perspective to look at it the way that poem got me to. i'd call that highly successful as a write :cool:

sorry i didn't get one in for the challenge, gm- i got bit by a title before the piece of art, then couldn'tfind the art to match the title/write so just tucked it on another thread. you got masses of great entries! thanks for hosting this one :kiss:

Yes definitely a lot of fun :p even if mine was a tad obvious ...blame it on being new here ...and way lots of good works ! ...I got like 5 favorites in there ...but I am to new to guess who wrote them so :p I am waiting heh

Yes definitely a lot of fun :p even if mine was a tad obvious ...blame it on being new here ...and way lots of good works ! ...I got like 5 favorites in there ...but I am to new to guess who wrote them so :p I am waiting heh

Sin, gm listed the names next to the poems in the thread so you can see them now. :)

Lots of wonderful poetry from all the poets. I will be back to read again after some cooking duty!

The poems and poets have been matched.

Any surprises? In addition to the matches, any other surprises? For example, I was surprised how sensual the Vermeer painting appeared to me after reading Seanathon's poem about it when I otherwise probably would have glossed over the painting.

I may have neglected to post a guess -- the Vermeer poem was strongly reminiscent of "Radium Girls", and I thought Seanathon right away.

If you have any difficulty seeing that painting as sensual, it may help to watch the movie, "The Girl With The Pearl Earring", in which the girl is played by Scarlett Johansson. It's also a pretty good movie, for other reasons. ;)

I knew you, mags and ash and one of uys's. The rest all stumped me.

Did anyone guess the last was mine? Todski is usually good at picking mine out as I am his, but I called one as his and he didn't even play this time around.

ETA: Thanks for this challenge GM. This one had me stretching. I have two other art pieces that I just couldn't wake the muse for and Aperitif was obviously very last minute. The challenge was a fun one though, it's interesting what comes of stepping out of your comfort zone.

Last edited:
I may have neglected to post a guess -- the Vermeer poem was strongly reminiscent of "Radium Girls", and I thought Seanathon right away.

If you have any difficulty seeing that painting as sensual, it may help to watch the movie, "The Girl With The Pearl Earring", in which the girl is played by Scarlett Johansson. It's also a pretty good movie, for other reasons. ;)

The Rembrandt image in one of yours, AH, was more cerebral to me than visceral. I got it and appreciated it, given the poem.

"Standstill," well, I, er, uh....

Let's just say very erotic. I mean the poem too. I liked how crisp the last two lines were, and the irony of the title, the double-entendre, was delightful.

I loved "pretty woman", although not particularly erotic (*to me at least) it's full of references and makes one think.

*Which makes me wonder what is erotic to individuals,

I must apologise for 16. it was supposed to be a Ghazal but when I realised I'd done it wrong I wasn't of a mind to go back and change it! Well done for guessers of 'In praise of the Larger Lady'! I thought it was a dead give away considering the amount of comedic poetry I've done in here and rhyming as well!! Was amazed at Tz's remarks and sends him off to read 'Ode to a Dung Beetle'!! :D

There are so many wonderful reads that it's hard to choose just a few favorites. One I keep going back to read is Mer's The Violin because it is only five lines and it says so much. That's not easy to do imho!

I'm also glad to become more aware of the poems of seanathon and Piscator. Vermeer's Mystery is rich like the painting, and Piscator wrote two excellent jazz poems. I originally thought the Chet Baker poem might be Tzara's cause I know he's a fan.

gm, I never would have guessed Pretty Woman as one of yours because it seems so different from your usual style. My favorite of yours for this challenge is Modigliani and his Nude in Paris. That is splendid writing.

AH, I guessed your wonderful A Mediterranean Ride. I'm getting better at guessing you.

UYS' In praise of the Larger Lady cracked me up. And I guessed all three of yours!

GuiltyPleasure consistently writes erotic poetry that is so good I want to just give up trying to write it myself. As usual, your entries are so erotic and feminine.

That last poem by Trix is very feminine, too, but edgy. I like that a lot.

Ellen More's poem is also edgy goodness.

Tzara's Helga is my favorite of his entries, but his other poem has a killer ending.

I had one more I kept trying to write, based on a photo of Frank O'Hara, but I could not find the right words in time. It may show up on Lit anyway cause I love the photo and want to keep trying.

Overall everyone did a great job. Great challenge idea gm and thank you for the work you put into it.

:rose:s all around.

Thanks, Angeline. "Mediterranean Ride" is in Tzara's hendecasyllabic meter -- I've taken a shine to it.

Here are some of the highlights of the challenge for me:

Your #5 was an immediate hit with me, for so many reasons. As one example -- I have always thought that octopi are beautiful and fascinating creatures. That painting and your poem have enriched my appreciation for them. ;)

#12 -- I remember now, Seanathon, you devious rascal. I was all set to guess you as the author, and you tricked me with this post, in which you feigned surprise at what was in the poem. The use of the word "indigo" alone was the giveaway, but I think your use of the exotic names of various colors in the palette was clever and effective.

#14 -- Angeline, you naughty girl.

#20 -- A very lovely poem, GP. It's very erotic, yet the context lends it a sort of epic quality. It's a grand success.

#21 -- Tzara, this is another carefully thought-out poem that succeeds in what it attempts. I have attempted to write poems where I equate writing poetry to making love. You succeeded in making painting a metaphor, big time.

#24 -- Mer, you did the same for sculpture. The paradox of all those images of softness and warmth, encased in hard cold marble, was delicious.

#28 -- GM, you say you have ED with respect to erotic poetry. I'm not seeing it. This one rocks.

#31 -- Trix, you naughty girl.

Much of this is a re-post from earlier today, when I had to leave on short notice - thanks so much, gm - that was a fun challenge.

Regarding surprises, I had several:

One was EllenMore's Posture (#30). It is a sign of the limited facets we show each other here that I would never have guessed it was hers, or that she would have chosen that particular piece to write about - she seems so proper and refined (I'm thinking Bloom, here, but others as well). The poem was so tongue-in-cheek, showing such a rollicking sense of raunchy humor - it's great to see this side of EM.

Angie's poem about the shunga art was sexy as all fuck, pardon my French - and most definitely surprising to me.

I agree wholeheartedly with Angie's comments on gms Pretty Woman.

AH surprised me twice, both with Standstill (#22) and with #29, in both cases because of their subjects, which i thought a departure of sorts for him. Just goes to show, there's more to know. ;)

I loved Tzara's Helga - and, Tz, may I take up the challenge to recite it? I'd like to, if I may.

GP's Andromache comforts Hector is scorching! but I especially liked Shell (#9) - it got me quite w... oh, this is PF&D, I'd better keep it clean. LOL

UYS' #13 had a fun, erotic twist - brought a leer to my face.

Whereas Seanathon, refined as always with his Vermeer poem - lovely, beautiful.

gm, I think you were rather disingenuous when you once claimed you had any problems at all writing erotic poetry. You blew your cover here!

And finally, to Angeline, thanks for your comments on The Violin: as I was surfing around for art to write about, I ran across the Man Ray piece, and about the same time ran across the definition of a tanka. I had not heard of tankas before coming here, I remembered them from some thread (probably UYS'). I've known the Man Ray photograph for many years, and it has always spoken to me on an erotic level, but it now struck me on a more political level. It made me think, and I'll admit that the poem was written with a tad of anger (unusual for me).

Thanks again, gm, and to all the poets for ALL the great reads.

The Rembrandt image in one of yours, AH, was more cerebral to me than visceral. I got it and appreciated it, given the poem.

I was sort of writing it from the POV of the handmaidens on the shore, waving their hands in the air and saying "OMG!" They were probably already thinking of how on earth they were going to explain this to Europa's parents.

#14 -- Angeline, you naughty girl.

I almost always listen to music when I write and I try to find something that will connect to my idea and inspire me. And what can I say, I listened to this over and over--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg2ZtSHoKY0

It had just the right amount of sleazy to inspire me and of course that's where the last line came from. :D

Angie's poem about the shunga art was sexy as all fuck, pardon my French - and most definitely surprising to me.

Thank you Mer. I chose that shunga, even though it's well-known, because I thought no one would think it was me. Lol.

#12 -- I remember now, Seanathon, you devious rascal. I was all set to guess you as the author, and you tricked me with this post, in which you feigned surprise at what was in the poem. The use of the word "indigo" alone was the giveaway, but I think your use of the exotic names of various colors in the palette was clever and effective.

Lol. I was worried I'd outed myself when I jumped to the line's defense so quickly.

Thanks to all who commented on my poem. The first time I saw that face was on the back of a well-worn copy of Readers Digest and, being a teenage boy at the time, I fell in love instantly. I wasn't sure if others would find the painting as "erotic" as I do, but I appreciated the opportunity this challenge gave me to try to convey the way I feel every time I see those shy eyes gazing at me from across the centuries. One day I even hope to journey to The Hague to see her in person.

For those who haven't seen the movie, I highly recommend it, but as always seems to be the case, the book was even better.

Thanks again for the challenge GM. My only guess was wrong (great poem btw GuiltyPleasure) but I enjoyed them all. As mentioned earlier, favorites were Shell, Somewhere I Have Never Traveled and, of course, King Kong Dong.

Congrats to all!

I'd like a voice playlist from this thread. My wish list would be as follows:

#7 Angeline & Tzara

These aren't my guesses for who wrote what, just whom I'd like to hear voice various pieces.
I can't do Angeline, of course (though she has my permission to record this if she wants to), but here's my reading.

I loved Tzara's Helga - and, Tz, may I take up the challenge to recite it? I'd like to, if I may.
Thank you. And of course you have my permission to record it. I look forward to hearing you read it.

Thank you. And of course you have my permission to record it. I look forward to hearing you read it.

Thank you. I posted it on Let's Hear It For The Poets Helga, by Tzara - hope it's not too far from what you heard when you wrote it. I enjoyed reading it.

Last edited:
Thank you. I posted it on Let's Hear It For The Poets Helga, by Tzara - hope it's not too far from what you heard when you wrote it. I enjoyed reading it.

Very nice.

I can't do Angeline, of course (though she has my permission to record this if she wants to), but here's my reading.

Yup, that's just how I heard it when I read it. :D one of my favs from this challenge.
I think Angeline's version will be excellent as well.

Thank you both for indulging me.

Very nice.

Yup, that's just how I heard it when I read it. :D one of my favs from this challenge.
I think Angeline's version will be excellent as well.

Thank you both for indulging me.

Consider yourself indulged!

Tzara, thank you for the opportunity to read your words. I like your words, as you know. Read mine whenever your tentacles are ready. :rose:

Here's my reading of Angie's Shunga-inspired poem, Somewhere I Have Never Traveled.

Galway Kinnell is now certainly twisting with discomfort in his grave.

I feel naked. And like I should pull the shade down. :eek:

Ya know my poem sounds both better and hotter when someone else reads it. Or maybe just when you read it, Tzara...hmmm. Maybe we all need to try this more.

The Kinnell is perfect. I had to answer it. The rendering is kinda sappy but the poem is immense.

Back