An excerpt from a new Emma & Lily story

Exactly. But without any understanding of what "this" is. The mention of the letters of transit comes out of the blue. The "ultimate sacrifice for love and freedom"? No, he sacrifices loves for the world's freedom. Combined with the "echoes of the Marseillaise ringing in his ears" makes it sounds like he dies. Forging a path towards redemption and reconciliation? Who, what, why? Why is his unlikely ally only mentioned right at the end?

As a synopsis it's awful. As a story, it fails on every level.

I'm kinda lost, lol. I think we're talking about different excerpts. I meant the very first Good Omens-ey one.

Exactly. But without any understanding of what "this" is. The mention of the letters of transit comes out of the blue. The "ultimate sacrifice for love and freedom"? No, he sacrifices loves for the world's freedom. Combined with the "echoes of the Marseillaise ringing in his ears" makes it sounds like he dies. Forging a path towards redemption and reconciliation? Who, what, why? Why is his unlikely ally only mentioned right at the end?

As a synopsis it's awful. As a story, it fails on every level.
So, I’m not clear, did you like it or not?

Emily

Here's the thing, as I've been pondering the whole AI problem.

@EmilyMiller prompted ChatGPT with words to the effect of "Write a story about an ex-angel and she-demon who are banished to earth and who are also girlfriends”

Now, go back and read the results Em published here.

The AI essentially adds NOTHING. It simply regurgitates Emily's prompt with a lot of excess wording.

But it adds nothing substantial to actually make it a story, let alone an interesting one.

Oh, and someone earlier was concerned about us posting AI story examples here.

I'd like to think it's an educational exercise that allows us to spot AI and dissect the problems with it as a "writing tool."

@EmilyMiller prompted ChatGPT with words to the effect of "Write a story about an ex-angel and she-demon who are banished to earth and who are also girlfriends”

The AI essentially adds NOTHING. It simply regurgitates Emily's prompt with a lot of excess wording.

But it adds nothing substantial to actually make it a story, let alone an interesting one.

I'd like to think it's an educational exercise that allows us to spot AI and dissect the problems with it as a "writing tool."
What I found interesting was the paragraph structure. It was 90% two lines with two sentences. It was like a set up for a poem, but nothing rhymed.
If Laurel is scanning stories and they have a certain structure and framework it's clear that Chat has helped?

I don't think the AI's doing a whole lot different than what some real human writers do when they're inexperienced: Grab a handful of relevant tropes out of the common grab bag and stack them all together like Megablocks until its fits a loosely coherent form with a beginning, middle, and an end and call it a day.

I do kind of the same thing when I'm writing. I have a generic trope-ridden idea, but when I actually start putting pen to paper, that's when i realize that there's a ton of gaps in between those blocks. So I start filling them in with my own ideas, mostly just little things that butterfly out until the story wanders off on those side tangents, kind of doing it's own thing.

Like if i wanted to write a werewolf romance story, the question might pop up: The fuck happens to a pregnant lady's baby when she shifts? Maybe it kills the kid. If so, that's just begging for a scene where pregnanr Mom's attacked by ruffians in her human form and has to make a very hard choice. That little spiraling nuance isn't something an AI with its clumsy Megablocks can do.

Last edited:
I don't think the AI's doing a whole lot different than what some real human writers do when they're inexperienced: Grab a handful of relevant tropes out of the common grab bag and stack them all together like Megablocks until its for a loosely coherent firm with a beginning, middle, and an end.

I do kind of the same thing when I'm writing. I have a generic trope-ridden idea, but when I actually start putting pen to paper, that's when i realize that there's a ton of gaps in between those blocks. So I start filling them in with my own ideas, mostly just little things that butterfly out until the story wanders off on those side tangents, kind of doing it's own thing.

Like if i wanted to write a werewolf romance story, the question might pop up: The fuck happens to a pregnant lady's baby when she shifts? Maybe it kills the kid. If so, that's just begging for a scene where pregnanr Mom's attacked by ruffians in her human form and has to make a very hard choice. That little spiraling nuance isn't something an AI with its clumsy Megablocks can do.
Except Chatbot thingy makes it sound like word salad like a Victorian was describing something. Its using twenty words to describe a sausage?

Except Chatbot thingy makes it sound like word salad like a Victorian was describing something. Its using twenty words to describe a sausage?
That first except wasn't bad, IMO. I've certainly read worse and more generic from humans. I think it does work as a summary.

Fully AI written stories are easily recognizable, in my opinion. AI can't write proper dialogue nor can it do anything decently except for maybe description and narration in 3rd person. The problem are partially AI written stories, where authors build on the AI generated text and add dialogue and nuances. I don't think there will be any proper method of detection for such stories simply because it would be hard to distinguish such content from the author's actual writing style.

In the celestial realm, Lily and Emma were once on opposite sides of the cosmic divide. Lily, with her radiant wings and pure heart, was an angel of grace and light. Emma, with her dark allure and cunning mind, was a she-demon of shadows and temptation. Despite their differences, they found love in each other's embrace, defying the laws of their realms.

Their forbidden love sparked jealousy among their kin, leading to their banishment to Earth. Cast down from the heavens, they found themselves bound together in exile, their wings stripped away, and their powers diminished. Yet, in the mortal realm, they discovered a newfound freedom in each other's arms.

Stranded in a world they barely understood, Lily and Emma navigated the complexities of human existence together. They roamed the earth, seeking solace in the quiet corners of forgotten cities and finding beauty in the chaos of urban landscapes.

As they walked hand in hand through the streets, they encountered both kindness and cruelty from mortals. They faced trials and tribulations, but their love remained unbreakable, a beacon of hope in a world shrouded in darkness.

Despite their past allegiances, Lily and Emma learned to embrace their differences and cherish their shared humanity. Together, they forged a new destiny, one where love triumphed over prejudice and where they could finally be free to love each other without fear or judgment.

And so, the ex-angel and she-demon continued their journey through the mortal realm, bound together by a love that transcended all boundaries, their souls entwined for eternity.

All feedback welcome.

Emily
Wow, beautiful. Love the idea o do an angel and a demon getting together.

It was. Up until reading this thread, i'm pretty sure that i had not knowingly read any AI-generated stuff. So, i had no clue of what it looked like. It gives an insight as what to look for in re-reading and editing my current stories, and i can honestly say that my stories could never be confused as to being AI generated.

And together with that other thread that's posted here about AI generated and 'rejected stories' from various authors, these AI generated examples are a 'teaching moment'.

Thanks Emily @EmiLy and Djmac @DJMac.

I guess I should have known even ChatGPT knows what Star Wars is:

Me: write a story about a farmboy from the planet Tatooine who goes on an adventure to rescue a princess from the clutches of an evil empire.

ChatGPT

Once upon a time, on the desert planet of Tatooine, there lived a young farmboy named Luke Skywalker. Luke spent his days toiling under the twin suns, dreaming of adventures among the stars. Little did he know, his destiny was about to change in ways he could never imagine.

One fateful day, while repairing a droid with his uncle, Luke stumbled upon a hidden message. It was a distress call from Princess Leia Organa, begging for help against the tyrannical rule of the Galactic Empire. Determined to answer the call, Luke set out on a daring adventure with the help of an old hermit named Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Together, they embarked on a journey across the galaxy, facing dangers at every turn. From evading stormtroopers on Tatooine to navigating treacherous asteroid fields, Luke proved himself to be brave and resourceful. Along the way, he honed his skills with a lightsaber, guided by Obi-Wan's wisdom.

Finally, they reached the heart of the Empire, where Princess Leia was held captive aboard the Death Star, a moon-sized battle station capable of destroying entire planets. With the help of smuggler Han Solo and his loyal co-pilot Chewbacca, Luke infiltrated the Death Star to rescue the princess.

Amidst fierce battles and narrow escapes, Luke confronted the sinister Darth Vader, a dark lord of the Sith who served the Emperor. In a climactic duel, Luke tapped into the Force, a mystical energy that flowed through all living things, and emerged victorious.

With Princess Leia rescued and the Death Star destroyed, Luke became a symbol of hope for the galaxy, sparking a rebellion against the oppressive Empire. Though his journey was far from over, Luke had taken his first steps into a larger world, destined for greatness as a Jedi Knight and hero of the Rebel Alliance.

It was. Up until reading this thread, i'm pretty sure that i had not knowingly read any AI-generated stuff. So, i had no clue of what it looked like. It gives an insight as what to look for in re-reading and editing my current stories, and i can honestly say that my stories could never be confused as to being AI generated.

And together with that other thread that's posted here about AI generated and 'rejected stories' from various authors, these AI generated examples are a 'teaching moment'.

Thanks Emily @EmiLy and Djmac @DJMac.
And there was I thinking that I was just goofing off 🤣

Emily

It knew about The Hobbit too. JRRT must be spinning in his grave (which I have visited).

Emily

in a way, I suppose it's a good thing; anyone attempting to steal an original popular story, it's gonna be obvious.

Don't make me get into a discussion about how Lester Delrey chose The Sword of Shannara to publish because of its resemblence to LotR, and in doing so created fantasy as a literary genre.
Resemblance? As is the Olsen twins resemble each other? I read the pile of crap. Mostly as I couldn’t believe how blatant the plagiarism was. Not an original thought or character in it.

It defined the tropes of heroic fantasy by copying elements of LotR's plot and characters. That's what created the genre that was cemented with Dragonlance Chronicles a few years later - up to and including "fantasy comes in trilogies".

It also proved that there was a market for fantasy. You can criticise it for not being original - and I could provide a dozen points to disprove that claim without even needing to think - but without Shannara there wouldn't be any fantasy. No Wheel of Time. No Game of Thrones. No Lord of the Rings movies. No Gentlemen Bastards or First Law. No Dresden Files or Rivers of London. Probably no Harry Potter either.

It defined the tropes of heroic fantasy by copying elements of LotR's plot and characters. That's what created the genre that was cemented with Dragonlance Chronicles a few years later - up to and including "fantasy comes in trilogies".

It also proved that there was a market for fantasy. You can criticise it for not being original - and I could provide a dozen points to disprove that claim without even needing to think - but without Shannara there wouldn't be any fantasy. No Wheel of Time. No Game of Thrones. No Lord of the Rings movies. No Gentlemen Bastards or First Law. No Dresden Files or Rivers of London. Probably no Harry Potter either.
It’s a blatant rip off. Totally blatant.

Emily

Back