"Are You Not Entertained?" An Arts and Entertainment Challenge

Day 3 - Something that makes you happy

I love this thread. Something about it echos in me, the stretching beyond a specific medium to anything. The world is wondrous, and the options are almost endless. It drags my mind to places, and I am tendering toward going deeper than is my want. And this is deeper.

You may want to just skip to something lighter. Just saying.

I just got out of a 29-year marriage. Legally, just about a year, but realistically, we have been roommates for a long time. We were happy when we first got married, but things changed. Always, things change. I fight clinical depression, something I have done since my teens, but wasn’t diagnosed until I was in my 30’s. And my wife, who has a very manly father, took my fight and illness as laziness. And then I was laid off from a job I really enjoyed, and went into a dark period, and she did not take that well either. And when someone comes to despise you, even for a season, it is almost impossible to get past that. Passion went away, on her part. We were intimate on occasion, on her whim and schedule. (My current dry spell is over seven years, which is kind of pathetic.) Our marriage became a partnership, to keep a roof over our heads, and later to raise our daughter. And I would have given up anything to keep my daughter happy and healthy – and I did. Things I loved went by the wayside, such as writing, as I sacrificed to keep this partnership together. And part of that was I would stay within the bounds of marriage. Even self pleasure was supposedly off the table (heh. Supposedly). But I stayed within, partly because I promised to, and I try to keep promises, but mostly because I loved her. I am a romantic. I wanted some magic bullet, some event, something I finally did to change things, to go back to the way we were when we were first together. I kept trying to be positive, kept going the extra mile to be romantic, but while it was appreciated, it wasn’t reciprocated. And eventually, I just got tired. And more tired. Hope springs eternal, but eventually you stop going to the spring. There is a line from “Why Why Why” by the Airborne Toxic Event that sums it up: “And you wonder just a little if your soul Isn't starting to die/You spend every waking moment wondering ‘why?’” But I am a romantic, and I kept at it. But it got worse, and worse. Until I couldn’t. The divorce was amicable, and I am so much happier. My kid, in college now, lives with me half of the time, and I am writing again. Working on a new novel. It is good.

But that isn’t why I am smiling.

I have a crush. It is small, and sweet, and there are myriads of reasons that it will never be anything more than it is, and I am fine with that. But I get that little frisson of anticipation in my belly. And I hum. Maybe dance a bit. She is my muse. She makes me smile. I could wax rhapsodic about her, but she isn’t what I am writing about.

I have a crush. And I honestly thought that part of my heart and soul were dead and gone. I didn’t think I could feel something light and airy and somewhat silly, but good. The fact that I can have a crush, that I can enjoy that? That makes me happy.

Sorry, that was long and dour.
That's wonderful to hear to that you're in a better place in your life 🩷 And writing! Fantastic 😊

Day 4: Something that's unputdownable
I've basically been playing this every chance I get since I got it. I'm on my 3rd run-through.
baldurs gate 3 title screen.jpg

It isn't a song, it is an album. Songs of Whiskey and God, by The Airborne Toxic Event. In 2015 they dropped their album Dope Machines, but the day after, as a complete surprise, they released this underloved gem of mostly acoustic songs (including one song using a pencil on paper as an instrument).

This is a very personal album for me, enough so that I can almost place names on every song for people it reminds me of. There are points in here that seem almost written specifically for me. "The Fall Of Rome," about falling in love, wanting more, losing it, and seeing she got that someplace else. Juxtaposing, "And I'd be lying if I said I didn't picture you then
In your wedding dress/And the days I hoped we'd some day spend/ In our Sunday best" with "I saw a picture of you the other day in your wedding dress/And I wondered why I'd walked away/Like I had with the rest" is heartbreaking. And, yeah, that one hits home.

If you can't relate to "A Certain Type of Girl," I envy you. I also feel sorry for you at the same time.

"Poor Isaac," with its questions and fears about God.

"Cocaine and Able," which is a clever name, and I also survived the '80s.
"Change and Change and Change," with "so I fucked it up like I always do/ I was born to be alone."

Most of all "Why Why Why," which I quoted in my maudlin post yesterday, is one that is just so real. I want to tattoo "They say follow your heart. What if your heart never knew where to go? Or why?" onto my skin, or into my heart.

I come back to this album over and over. I can't put it down.

Day four: Something that's "unputdownable"

I wish I knew nothing about JK Rowling as a person, ignorance is bliss and all that. But I can't deny the absolute obsession that I had with the Harry Potter series. I still don't think I've read any book as quickly as I read The Goblet of Fire. I did little else but keep that book in front of my face for four days.

I wish I knew nothing about JK Rowling as a person, ignorance is bliss and all that. But I can't deny the absolute obsession that I had with the Harry Potter series. I still don't think I've read any book as quickly as I read The Goblet of Fire. I did little else but keep that book in front of my face for four days.
Agree on all counts.

This is so good, you'll forget about every other recipe there is: https://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/17/dining/171orex.html
Olives are one of my greatest weaknesses 😍
I've basically been playing this every chance I get since I got it. I'm on my 3rd run-through.
View attachment 2323834
Where are all the tentacles coming from? Are they the sexy kind or the squeeze you until you pop kind?
It isn't a song, it is an album. Songs of Whiskey and God, by The Airborne Toxic Event. In 2015 they dropped their album Dope Machines, but the day after, as a complete surprise, they released this underloved gem of mostly acoustic songs (including one song using a pencil on paper as an instrument).

This is a very personal album for me, enough so that I can almost place names on every song for people it reminds me of. There are points in here that seem almost written specifically for me. "The Fall Of Rome," about falling in love, wanting more, losing it, and seeing she got that someplace else. Juxtaposing, "And I'd be lying if I said I didn't picture you then
In your wedding dress/And the days I hoped we'd some day spend/ In our Sunday best" with "I saw a picture of you the other day in your wedding dress/And I wondered why I'd walked away/Like I had with the rest" is heartbreaking. And, yeah, that one hits home.

If you can't relate to "A Certain Type of Girl," I envy you. I also feel sorry for you at the same time.

"Poor Isaac," with its questions and fears about God.

"Cocaine and Able," which is a clever name, and I also survived the '80s.
"Change and Change and Change," with "so I fucked it up like I always do/ I was born to be alone."

Most of all "Why Why Why," which I quoted in my maudlin post yesterday, is one that is just so real. I want to tattoo "They say follow your heart. What if your heart never knew where to go? Or why?" onto my skin, or into my heart.

I come back to this album over and over. I can't put it down.
Well, I'm sold! I'm going to download this album right now.

I still don't think I've read any book as quickly as I read The Goblet of Fire.
It's strange how quickly tastes change during those years. I devoured the Philosophers Stone, and the Chamber of Secrets, over a single weekend in my teens. Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire went a bit slower, maybe a week each. But then later on, I put down the Order of the Phoenix about halfway through figuring I'd "take a break". I never came back to it. Never even bought the last two books. Maybe had I been a few years younger I'd've finished them.

On the topic of books: The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie. If you like fantasy, you'll love these books. I've never seen such raw characterization in fantasy. Every person feels alive; they are flawed, broken people, making terrible choices that all seem natural.

His style of fantasy is more akin to Tolkien or RR Martin than Sanderson - he does not linger on explaining magic systems, or delve into omniscient exposition. Everything is told from the eyes of the characters. It makes the world he's built over 9 books feel immense.
Joe's also earned himself the moniker Lord Grimdark, for the tales he tell are not at all happy.
They're fucking horrid. Visceral. Nauseating. Wonderful.

The First Law consists of 9 books, in 3 sets of 3. Number four, Best Served Cold, is a stand-alone and is in the process of being turned into a Hollywood blockbuster, starring Rebecca Fergusson (recently of Dune, and Silo fame).

I cannot recommend them enough. Every single book is extraordinary.

It's strange how quickly tastes change during those years. I devoured the Philosophers Stone, and the Chamber of Secrets, over a single weekend in my teens. Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire went a bit slower, maybe a week each. But then later on, I put down the Order of the Phoenix about halfway through figuring I'd "take a break". I never came back to it. Never even bought the last two books. Maybe had I been a few years younger I'd've finished them.

On the topic of books: The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie. If you like fantasy, you'll love these books. I've never seen such raw characterization in fantasy. Every person feels alive; they are flawed, broken people, making terrible choices that all seem natural.

His style of fantasy is more akin to Tolkien or RR Martin than Sanderson - he does not linger on explaining magic systems, or delve into omniscient exposition. Everything is told from the eyes of the characters. It makes the world he's built over 9 books feel immense.
Joe's also earned himself the moniker Lord Grimdark, for the tales he tell are not at all happy.

The First Law consists of 9 books, in 3 sets of 3. Number four, Best Served Cold, is a stand-alone and is in the process of being turned into a Hollywood blockbuster, starring Rebecca Fergusson (recently of Dune, and Silo fame).

Sounds like an interesting series. I'm going to see if the first one is at my library.

Side note, I love Rebecca Ferguson. She's so magnetic.

Day three: Something that makes you happy
Keith Haring. I love his work so much. The colors. The movement. The playfulness.
8D0CBC71-EF3F-4758-860E-1B74B547F5F3.jpeg
I hope this isn’t against the rules 🤪 but I just have to share this… interesting Haring work I came across when looking for an image to share. I’ll leave it as a thumbnail at the bottom for those that don’t want a cartoon dick right in their face.

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas. The first book of this series was blah to me, until the end, but it was soooo worth it to get to the next two books which I couldn’t get enough of.

Attachments

• 0AD3D28D-499A-4D2B-B823-F4862F1121C1.jpeg
    0AD3D28D-499A-4D2B-B823-F4862F1121C1.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 4
Sounds like an interesting series. I'm going to see if the first one is at my library.

Side note, I love Rebecca Ferguson. She's so magnetic.
Do! The first book is The Blade Itself, and it hooked me from the first paragraph.

It's... like a weird fever dream for me, seeing all the success Rebecca's had in recent years. Her first acting role was on a Swedish soap opera called Nya Tider (new times?) back in the 90s. It was a guilty pleasure for every single girly teeny bopper back then, and it was just awful! Truly awful. But amazing in it's awfulness. A complete car wreck.

Have you delved into Erickson's Malazan: Book of the Fallen? It is epic in every single way. Ten books in the initial series, it takes place over thousands of years, and several continents. The first five books are almost stand-alone, but they all get woven in brilliantly in the rest. It is a magnificent tapestry, meticulously and brilliantly plotted. The characters, from the most powerful near-demigods to the lowest of thieves and beggars, are all very detailed, very compelling, and very well written. There are no stupid evil guys and virtuous heroes--everybody is intelligent, and they have reasons they are doing what they do. The dialog is fantastic. Gardens of the Moon, the first novel, starts In medias res, and kind of dares you to keep up. It is worth doing so. The magic system is complex and layered, but not laid out. You can eventually see how it works, but don't expect a Sanderson-esque lecture mid-paragraph.

It is also a series that holds up well on rereads. There are jokes buried in there for re-readers, ones that I did not get the first time, but made me laugh out loud the second. It is absolutely worth a try.

Keith Haring. I love his work so much. The colors. The movement. The playfulness.
View attachment 2323979
I hope this isn’t against the rules 🤪 but I just have to share this… interesting Haring work I came across when looking for an image to share. I’ll leave it as a thumbnail at the bottom for those that don’t want a cartoon dick right in their face.

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas. The first book of this series was blah to me, until the end, but it was soooo worth it to get to the next two books which I couldn’t get enough of.
I have no problem with that at all 😊 If all unexpected dick pics were so artistic, I probably wouldn't even block the dudes who sent them 🤣
Do! The first book is The Blade Itself, and it hooked me from the first paragraph.

It's... like a weird fever dream for me, seeing all the success Rebecca's had in recent years. Her first acting role was on a Swedish soap opera called Nya Tider (new times?) back in the 90s. It was a guilty pleasure for every single girly teeny bopper back then, and it was just awful! Truly awful. But amazing in it's awfulness. A complete car wreck.
I always forget she's Swedish 😅 There was something fun about ridiculous soaps. Especially before Netflix lol.

View attachment 2323979

Okay, "Keith Haring Cartoon Dick" was not on today's bingo card...

Have you delved into Erickson's Malazan: Book of the Fallen? It is epic in every single way. Ten books in the initial series, it takes place over thousands of years, and several continents.
I have not! Although, the time span is a deterrent for me, rather than a pull. I enjoy character arcs more than story arcs. Though, the way you paint it, it sounds a bit like The Foundation? You mention demi-gods, are they or their plans a constant presence or are these too swapped out over time?

I'll for sure check out an excerpt though. Thanks for the rec'!

I have not! Although, the time span is a deterrent for me, rather than a pull. I enjoy character arcs more than story arcs. Though, the way you paint it, it sounds a bit like The Foundation? You mention demi-gods, are they or their plans a constant presence or are these too swapped out over time?

I'll for sure check out an excerpt though. Thanks for the rec'!
Try the first one. The first five or so are contained, and have a resolution that ties into the larger story.

As for the demi-god characters, ever play old school D&D? You know the characters you get that are just silly powerful, but still fun to play? You get a few of those. But the thing is, they are every bit as flawed and intelligently written as the rest. Characters who know what a big footprint they have, and are careful where they step because of it.

Day 5: Something that makes you feel nostalgic

We had maple sap buckets on the trees in our yard when I was a kid. The guys who owned the local sugarhouse used to take me and my best friend out with them and we'd help collect the buckets from various properties, check on the sap tubes in the forest, and they taught us how to boil the sap down into syrup. We had a lot of chilly feet on cold spring mornings, warmed with hot chocolate and warm syrup on snow.

sap buckets.jpg

Last edited:

We had maple sap buckets on the trees in our yard when I was a kid. The guys who owned the local sugarhouse used to take me and my best friend out with them and we'd help collect the buckets from various properties, check on the sap tubes in the forest, and they taught us how to boil the sap down into syrup. We had a lot of chilly feet on cold spring mornings, warmed with hot chocolate and warm syrup on snow.

View attachment 2324240
Almost that time of year - I'll be back in Vermont in a few weeks, guess I'll need to pick up some syrup

Quality Pie, Portland, Oregon.

I was doing some SEO work and ended up meeting a client at Weiden and Kennedy, Portland's Big Deal advertising firm, and I saw this:
qp.jpg
That was the original sign for Quality Pie, which was being used as a wall. Quality Pie, or QP, was a 50s-style restaurant in NW Portland. When you think of Portland, most often you are thinking of NW. QP was smack in the middle of NW 23rd St, which was gentrifying and becoming more and more trendy every year. QP refused to do either. It was a two-level diner, specializing in breakfast and pie. Good coffee, but there is always good coffee in Portland. And it was 24-hours.

In high school and college, I worked at concerts and clubs. Mostly lighting and gaffing, but I also did some sound reinforcement. You get done late, like after the bars close. So a lot of the crews would head to QP. It was surrealistic breakfast. Portland had, at that time, the most strip bars per capita of any city in the US. And right down the street you had Darcelle XV's, one of the premiere nightclubs for the finest female impersonators on the West Coast. And they all close out about the same time. You would show up at QP and see female impersonators giving stripers make - up advice, or stripers helping with their hair. Bouncers and security guys pounding apple pie and coffee. Bands, usually up and comers, just vegging on coffee after a show, but occasionally big names showed up. I still remember when Temple of the Dog came in for omelettes. And walking around them were servers, some who had been there for decades in beehives and scarfs. And everyone got along great. If more places could have been like QP at 4 AM, the world would be a better place.

It finally closed in 1992, and sat vacant for ten years, which I took as a curse by Bev, the oldest server I knew. But when I walked into W&K's it all hit me like a ton of pie.

I miss that place. (I also miss Darcelle, but that is another post. He passed away last year at 92.)

Back