BDSM: Thoughts on how we are using the term

I am submissive, i like to be hurt, sometimes i have a sadistic tendency which is rarely ever fulfilled due to my submissiveness and the fact that i just can't bring myself to really hurt anything besides bugs. Most of the time i have a masochistic tendency and i like it when kon is in a sadistic mood. But we don't NEED the s/m to enjoy our D/s. Bondage is an added plus.. i like seeing it as the bondage AND diciplin becasue when you are unable to find the proper restraints it's a lot of diciplin to keep from squirming and keep your hands in place at times...

I like B
I like D
I like S
I like M

In certian arcuments you argue certian parts of BDSM but on the whole i think the majority (the majority.. i know not everyone is the same) can find that those letters all have fine lines between them and probably share a lot of gray areas. (hell the D even shares dual meanings for people...)

I think a Venn diagram (thank you red delicious) would be the best way to think of it.

Last edited:
ammre said:
I am submissive, i like to be hurt, sometimes i have a sadistic tendency which is rarely ever fulfilled due to my submissiveness and the fact that i just can't bring myself to really hurt anything besides bugs. Most of the time i have a masochistic tendency and i like it when kon is in a sadistic mood. But we don't NEED the s/m to enjoy our D/s. Bondage is an added plus.. i like seeing it as the bondage AND diciplin becasue when you are unable to find the proper restraints it's a lot of diciplin to keep from squirming and keep your hands in place at times...

I like B
I like D
I like S
I like M

In certian arcuments you argue certian parts of BDSM but on the whole i think the majority (the majority.. i know not everyone is the same) can find that those letters all have fine lines between them and probably share a lot of gray areas. (hell the D even shares dual meanings for people...)

(what is the name of the graph that shows circles to show like.. people with hats, people with hair, people with hats and hair.. i forget... i can't help but think of it when i see the BDSM letters...)

That would be a Venn (sp?) diagram, perhaps?

I think saying BDSM is so much easier then spelling it all out. If someone wants to get to know me they will get all the details. ;)

Ugh, too much semantics

Yes BDSM is something of a convient label, but that's what general terms are for. How many threads are there over slave vs. sub, dom vs. top? Everyone has their own definitions. We're not all necessarily talking about the exact same things. Do handcuffs count as bondage or do I have to tie someone spread eagle down on the bed? If I spank a sub barehanded am I into S&M? If not, how about if I use a paddle?

Chances are many of us are into many different kinks that most of the rest of don't do. It's a big world out there. I've always thought of BDSM as just a way to make sure I'm in the right ball park. Without that I might end up looking for women at a church picnic.

BDSM to me means bondage, discipline/sometimes dominance/submission, sometimes sadism and masochism, but ALLLL under a sexual connotation. bdsm to me is a sexuality. i do not consider bdsm to be the same thing as the D/s lifestyle. D/s is not a sexuality imo, it's a personality trait. bdsm is sex. dominance and submission under bdsm, is not REAL Dominance and submission. discipline under bdsm, is not REAL discipline, again, only imo.

i live a D/s lifestyle, which has bits of bdsm thrown in the sex from time to time.

Re: Ugh, too much semantics

Croctden said:
Without that I might end up looking for women at a church picnic.

Not a bad place to be looking. You'd probably find more straight submissives there than you would at a NOW march. BDSM is biblical :p

Re: Ugh, too much semantics

Croctden said:
Chances are many of us are into many different kinks that most of the rest of don't do. It's a big world out there. I've always thought of BDSM as just a way to make sure I'm in the right ball park. Without that I might end up looking for women at a church picnic.

Nice post.

OF course, I am getting ready for church right now.

Wanna hook up?

:D

I've actually always liked the multiple combinations possible with the letters. BD, DS, SM. I just thought it was neat from a linguistic perspective.

As for myself, I like all three of the ones I just mentioned.

Et toi said
//
FWIW, it's an acronym, not an anachronym! (Don't think that's a word, MissT was probably thinking of anachronism.)//

OTOH, isn't FWIW an anachronym also.?

:rose:

Back