Bits of Poetry Theory

I think part of the problem comes from the way poetry is presented in schools.

Prose must be clear and concise and is governed by the rules of grammar. Facts and references are more important than personal opinion.

Poetry is presented as the opposite. There are no rules, with complete freedom of expression. This is fine, except poetry as a form of communication gets lost in the mix. In the rush to express what one feels and sees, the idea of showing these things to other people is given too little attention.

If it is a form of communication , which it really shouldn't be, it is done though a translator. The poem functions as a translator. I forget who said this, "If I wanted to communicate with someone, I'd write 'em a letter." Dated, but.
Half of communication on a personal level is phatic nonsense. This "phatic nonsense" encodes a different message from the surface conversation, sometimes in the opposite direction. Did you ever find yourself thinking " I agree with what this guy is saying, but he's a real asshole" or not agreeing but liking the guy.

Letter writing should be clear and concise, not necessarily prose but a successful prose writer will follow certain conventions, and generally meet audience expectations; the really good ones function in the range of poetry. Comac McCarthy's Blood Meridian, and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein even sound like poetry in parts.

The problem with poetry is it's fucking work, not presented as work, little more presented as "isn't this wonderful, doesn't this make you feel this way". Well no, in most cases- I don't give a damn about John Masefield ma'am. Instead it should be presented as " look what this guy is trying to do, this is the trick he is using - did you hear it, did it work?" Yeah, I hear the horses, that sonofabitch Tennyson is pretty good, I want to do that. "Well you might be able to, but only if you work at it."

Now the poet, not only has to do what the prose writer does, but he also has a whole bag'o'tricks that he has to carry that the prose writer doesn't. Remembering also that he has to be also as concise as the letter writer, not necessarily clear, because that is one of the tricks. And he has to function in that range of that phatic nonsense, that is the bear, how do you be concise there?

Back to Tennyson, did a fine job didn't? Let's you know it was a disaster, some jack-ass ordered a charge, but honoured the 600 hundred. Gotta like him.

Now, me too often I'll reach into the poetic bag'o'tricks and pull out the wrong tool, as does everybody, even the greats.

It's fucking work! And the audience is minimal, half of them don't understand, doesn't really function well as communication.

I assume poetry began by communicating history, important cultural information to the next generation. That and the pleasure of telling a horror/heroic story to kids, pure entertainment. It's really John Donne, Shakey, Romantics who make poetry into describing God/Question of Being/Seinsfrage. Poetry has little place in communicating cultural information these days and that's likely the reason for the rapid drop in popularity since the 70s. Ginsberg would've been the last, the last important attempt at communicating through the veil; plenty of information in that poem and some others.

Hardest game in the world that: the old poetry game. I've seen them come and go with their calluses and sunken faces and I don't know what it is that makes them tick or why they even try. But it seems to me the ones who succeed (the least of them) share a glimmer which is fleeting and all too soon snuffed out, but it's there. And the ones that fail - the most of them - are just like lemmings, stood blathering into the endless night, filling a wet sock full of sloppy cobblers and slipping, lastly, into the abyss. I can't say I envy them. I guess it's a case of there but for the grace of god go I.

Thomas Love Peacock (1785-1866)

The Four Ages of Poetry (1820)

Qui inter hæc nutriuntur non magis sapere possunt, quam bene olere qui in culinâ habitant. PETRONIUS.

¶1 §1 POETRY, like the world, may be said to have four ages, but in a different order: the first age of poetry being the age of iron; the second, of gold; the third, of silver; and the fourth, of brass.
whence begat the age of Aluminium
whence begat the age of Plutonium

whence beshat the age of Imodium

no reflection on oggbashan but just coming from New Poems, it's obvious Peacock needs updating.:(

I assume poetry began by communicating history, important cultural information to the next generation.

I find this statement rather depressing because it seems to imply that the process was consciously educative .

I believe that poetry began as imprections to the gods, curses of the enemy, praise for heroes and prayers in times of hopelessness. Initially it was inseparable from art, dance, music, religion and day to day life. The dreamtime of Aboriginal Australians is an extant example.

Now I've forgotten what the damn thread is about!

I find this statement rather depressing because it seems to imply that the process was consciously educative .

I believe that poetry began as imprections to the gods, curses of the enemy, praise for heroes and prayers in times of hopelessness. Initially it was inseparable from art, dance, music, religion and day to day life. The dreamtime of Aboriginal Australians is an extant example.

Now I've forgotten what the damn thread is about!

You're saying the same thing, methinks. Spontaneity given reason. Put culture in a bag and hand it down...but only WASPs actually put culture and history in a bag and hand it down. An explanation for thunder or an invocation against it are ways of protecting and transmitting important cultural data. Protect ourselves from Zeus when clued into his power via thunder by way of certain spells and sacrifices, make sure sons and daughters are clued into this set of beliefs and practices to avoid unnecessary trauma.

This thread. Alphabetized.

_____

( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ( ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) ) * * , , , , , , , - - - - - - - -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- . . . . © ©
1 1 1st, 2 2 2, 2nd, 3-19. 5. 10: 60/40 70s. 183-200. 600 1650, 1759 1785-1866 1820 1820 1921: 1994-2002 1996 2005, : : : : : : :D ;
a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a A a a a a a a a a a a a a a A A A a a a a a a a a a A a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a A. abandoned Abissinia able Aboriginal about about about about about about about about about about about! above above. abracts absence abstracted Abstractions Abstractness absurd absurd, abyss. accelerating, accepts accidental accompanied accompanied accompanied, accompany accomplish accumulation achievements achievements achieving Achilles acknowledged; acquainted acquire acquire acquired acquired acquirement: acquisition acquisition, across action action actions, active active activity activity actual, actually address address addressed administer admiring adorned advance advance advanced advances. advancing advantage, adventitious adventure, adventurous advice æschylus aether. affected affected, again against age age age age age age age age age age age age age age age age age age age age age age age age age Age age age age age age age age age age age age, age, age, age, age, age. age; agency ages ages ages ages Ages Ages ages, ages, ages. ages: aggrandizing ago. agree agree agree agree agreeing aimless aims, ain't air airplane. alchymist, AlcÆus, Alexander, alike alike all all all all all all all all all all all all all All All All All all All all all all all all all all all all all all All all all all all all all all all all all all all all all, all, all-important all-in-all all. all. allow alone alone. along already also also also also also also also also also also altogether Aluminium always always always always always always always always always am am am am am amazed amazing. ambition amiable among among among among among among among amorous Amphion amplification amuse amusement, an an an an an an an an An an an an an an an an an an an an an an an an an an an an an an an an an an ancestors. ancestors. ancestors. ancestors. ancient ancient and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and And And And and And And and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and and, and, Andromache animate another another another. anti-poetical. antiquated any any any any any any any any any any any any any any anyone Anyone anything apparently appeal appeal appeal, appear appear appear appearances: appellation. applause applause apple applicable appreciate, appreciated, appropriated, arbitrary archer. archives. are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are are, Ariosto, arise Aristophanes, arm, arose around around arranged, arrangement arrive art art, art, art: artful Arthur article artificial artificial artificial, artistic arts arts, as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as As as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as as, as, ascendancy ascetics ashes asked assent asses asshole assigns association. associations associations associations, assume assumes astrologer. astronomers, at at at at at at at at at at at at at at at at at at at at at at at at at attached attain attained attained attainment attempt attended attention attention attention attention attention attention. attract attracted audience audience audience audience audience audience, audience. audience. Australians authority authority. authority; avail available avant-garde avoid avoiding await awaits awaken awakened awakened away awe
B. babies back back back Back back backward. bag bag bag'o'tricks bag'o'tricks barbaric barbarism, barbarism, barbarism, barbarism, barbarisms barbarous bard bard, bardic; bards bards, barren basis battle. battles Baudelaire Baudelaire. be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be be, be... bear, beautiful beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. beauty beauty beauty because because because because Because because because because because because become become become become become become becomes becomes becomes becomes becomes becomes been been been been been been been been been been been been been, been: before before before before. began began began began began begat begat beggar beggar beggar: begin beginning begins begins being being being being being being being being being being being being being being being Being/Seinsfrage. beliefs believe bells. belong belonged bene beneath bent Bertocci's beshat besides besides best best best best best best, best. better better better better better better better better better between between between beyond bipolar birth, bit biting blank blathering blended blended Blood blunderbuss boards. bodies, book books books border. boredom both both, both; boundary boundless boy boys branch brass brass brass, brass, brass, brass. breaks. breastplates breeze, Brett-Smith Brett-Smith. brief brighter brighter Brightness brightness bring broken bronze bronzeage Bronzeage brought brought brought brunette brunette brutes BTW, building built built bulb bulb bulbs buries burn burn. burned business business business busy but but but but but but but but but but but but but But But but but But But but But But But but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but but. By by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by By by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by by, Byron
call called called called called called calls calluses came came came Campbell can can can can can can can can can can can Can can can can, can, can. cannot cannot cannot cannot cant canting can't capable care care carefully carelessness. caring carnival. carried carry cart. case case cases- cat-eye cat-eye catch cathedr{^a}, cattle-stealers caught cease celebrate celebrate celebrated celebrates celebrates centuries, centuries. centuries. certain certain certainly certainly, chair. challenge challenges challenging change change change changes changes changes channels, chaos Chapter character character character character character. character; characteristicks characteristics characterized charge, Charlemagne charmed charmed charmed, checked cheek chemists, chief chief chief chief, chief, chief; chiefly chiefs, chiefs, childhood childhood, children chimÆras, chimÆras. chivalrous chivalry, chose chroniclers chronicles, Cimmerian circles circumscribed circumstances circumstances circumstances, citations cities cities civic civil civil civilization, civilized civilized civilized civilized civilized claim claim claiming claims class class classes, classical clear clear clear, cleft, climate clued clued clumsy co-operating cobblers Coleridge Coleridge, collected, collection collection collects Collins, colonies, color color Comac combinations combinations, combinations. combined combining combining come come comes comes comes comforts comic, coming coming command command commanding comments commit commodity, common Common common common common common-place, commonplace commotion communicate communicate communicating communicating communicating communicating communication communication communication communication. community community, community. comparatively compare compared compared comparison complete complete completely. components compose composed composed composed compound compound compound. comprehensive comprehensive comprehensive comprehensiveness comprehensiveness conceive concise concise concise concise, concluded conclusions: concrete concrete condition; conditions conducive confinement confines confirm confirmed confraternity congeries congeries conjured connected consciously consequently consider consider consider consider consider considered considered considered consisting consists consists constant constituents constructed contains contemn contemporaries contemporaries, contemporaries; contemporary contending content contents continually continue continue continue Continued continued. contradict contrived, convenient Conventions conventions, conversation, convert convert converting conveyed cool coolest copied copyright copyright Copytext: coral, corrections'. correctly, correspondences cost costume, costume, could could could could Couldn't couldn't count Count, counted, country; couple couple couple courage courage course courtesy, Cowper Cowper Cowper crab, craft. crambe crash crash crazy crazy crazy creature credit creed critical Criticism criticism critics, critique critique critique. critique/comment crop crosses crowd. crown, crude cruises crusades, cry culinâ cultivate cultivated cultivated cultivated cultivated, cultivated, cultivation cultivator cultivators cultural cultural cultural culture culture curiosity. currency currency curses custom, customs, CÆsar;
daily daily damn damn damn, dance, Danish daring dark darkness darkness Darwin data. Dated, daughters day day day day day days days days days days days, de dead Death debate decades. decide decidedly declare declare declares decline decrease decrepitude. deduce deep Defence defensible define define defined defining definition definition definition definition definition, definition. degenerate degenerated, degraded degree deification deities deities deject, delicacy delicious delivering demand demi-gods Demodocus demolished demonstrations. departed Department department Department depended deposing depositories depressing dereliction descendant. descent describe describe describing description descriptive descriptive, deserves desire desire desire desirous desperate despite despondence desultory Development devote diametrically Dickinson dictates did did did did did Did did Did didactic didactic, didn't didn't didn't? Dieu, difference, difference, difference. different different different different differently difficult difficult difficult difficulty difficulty, diffused diffused dig digs dim diminish diminished diminished Dionysiaca directed direction. disadvantage. disagree disaster, discovery discriminates discriminations, discussful? discussion disguise disguised disjointed dispassionate dispassionate dispensation, dispersed display disputes disputes, disregard dissatisfaction disseminate dissertation dissipate distance distance, distant, distinctive distinguished distrust, dithyrambics diversified diversified, divest divested divine divinity: do do do do do do do do do do do do do, does does does does does does does does, doesn't doesn't doesn't doesn't. doing. dominion. done done Donne, don't don't don't don't don't dotage. doubt down down. down...but downward, Dr. Dr. drama dramatic dramatic, draw draw dreamer dreams dreamtime driveller drivellers drop drops dry, Dryads Dryden, dudes duly during during duties dÆmons.
e-text ears earth easily easily easily easily economists, Ed. Ed. Edgar Editorial Editors, educative effect effect effected efforts eggs egotism egotistical egregious either either Either Either either. elaborate elaborate elbow. elegant element, elements eloquence. 'em 'em emanate. emanations Emanuel emerging Emily eminence: emo emotion Emperor Empire empire empire Empire. employ empty empty emulation encodes encourage end end end end end end: ending endless ends enemy, energies energy energy, English English English English, English, engross enjoyment. enlarged enlarged enlarged: enlightened. Enquity entertainment. enthusiasms, entire envy epic epic. epics, equal erude escaped essay. essayists essays essential essentially established, established; estimate ethic ethical ethical, Euclid's Europe Europe, even even even even even even even even even even Even even ever ever ever ever ever ever ever, everlasting every every every every every every every every every every every every every every everybody, everyman. everything evident evil; ex exaggerated exaggerated exaggerated, exalted exalted: examine, examiner example, example. example. exceeding exceeding excellencies excellencies, except except excited excited, excited, excites excluded exclusion exclusively. exertion. exhausted exhausted, exhausted, exhausted: exhibit exist existence existence: existing existing exists exists expanded expectant. expectations; expence experience experience experiments, explanation exploded exploits exploits exploits exploits exploits explored express express express express express expressed expressed, expression expression expression. expression: exquisite exquisite exquisite extant extended extensive extensive extent extent extent external extinction. extracting extraordinary extraordinary extravagant eye eyes eyeware, eyewear.
F. fables, fabulous faces fact factitious Facts facts facts faculty fad. fail failure, fairy-land, fall falls, false, fame familiarity familiarity familiarize families fanatic, fanaticism far far far far far farthest faster fastidious fate favour favour favour favours fear fear fear, features, feed feeds, feel feel Feeling feeling feeling feeling, feeling, feeling; feelings feelings feelings feelings, feels female female females. feminine fetters feudal few few few few few, fiction. fiction: field field field field field fields fighting, fighting: figurative filling find find find find find finds finds finds fine fine, finest first first first first first first first first, first, first, flattery, fleeting flexibility flipped, florid flourished flourishes flourishes flourishing flowery, follow follow following fool for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for for forbidden foremost forest. forests, forget forgotten form form form form form form form form, form. formed formed forms forms forms forms forms forms forums forums. fought, found founder founder founders founders founders. four Four four four four Four fourth, fragments frame Frankenstein Frankly free freedom French French frequent fresh freshness friend friends frippery frivolous from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from from From from from from From From From from from from from from from from from from fruitful, fry fucking fucking full full full-grown function function function function functions future
gains gains game game game. game. game. gaping gauge gave gave gave genealogy general general General general general general generally generally generally generally generation. generations. generations; genii genii genii, genii, genius genius gentle gentlemen gentlemen-genii Gerard German get get get get get gets gets gewgaws ghost Giambattista Gibbon, Ginsberg girly give give given given giving giving glad glimmer glory go go goal. god god God/Question goddess goddesses, gods gods gods gods gods, gods, gods. going gold gold gold gold gold. gold: gold: gold; golden golden golden golden golden, Goldsmith, Good good Good good good good good, Gospel got got Gotta governed grace grace gradual gradually grafted grammar. grand grant grant. granted, gratify Gray Gray, Gray. Great great great great great great great greater greater greater greatest greatest greatest greatly, greatness greats. Grecian Greece Greece. Greek Greek green greenmountaineer ground, Group, groups grow grown grows guess gullible gums guy guy guy.
H. HAAAAAAHAhahahahaha habitant. had had had had had had had had had had had had had. haijin haiku haiku haiku haiku half half half Half hand hand hand. handle Hands handsome hanging happiness hard Hardest harmonized harmonized harmonized harmony harmony, harmony, harmony. has has has has has has has has has has has has has has has has has has has has has has has has has has has has has has has has has have have have have have have have have have have have have have have have have have have have have have have have have have have have have have have have having having he he he he he he he he he he he he he he He he He He He he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he he/she head: heads hear hear heard heard heard heard heat heavily heavily Hector held helmets help help helps hence Hence hence her her her her herd here here hereditary here's Here's Herodotus Herodotus Herodotus Herodotus Herodotus. heroes heroes heroes heroes heroes heterogeneous heterogeneous he's hidden high high higher highest highly hill, hillocks hills him him him him him him him. himself himself himself himself himself himself himself, his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his his His his His His historian historians historians historians, historical historical history history history history History history history history, history, history, history, history. holy Homer Homer Homer, Homeric Homeric Homeric; homogeneous honour honour, honoured hopelessness. Hopkins Horace, horns horror/heroic horses, hosted hour. houses How how how how How how how how how how how how how how how however however http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1772 http://www.eapoe.org/works/essays/poetprnb.htm http://www.eapoe.org/works/essays/poetprnb.htm http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/652 human human human Hume, hundred hundred hundred. Hyde-park hyperbole, hyperbole. hyperbole. hÆc
I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I I, I. I. i.e. Ian Ian idea idea idea idea idea ideas ideas, ideas, idlers, if if if If if if if if if if if if if if If If If If If if ignorance ignorance, ignorant ignore, Iliad. Iliad; illusions illustration. image image. imagery, imagination imagination imagination, imitated imitation imitative imitative imitative imitators, Imlac, Imlac's immortal immortal immutable Imodium imperfect. impertinent implied, imply important important important important important impose imprections impress impression impression. impressions impressions impressions impressions impressions, in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in In in in in in in In In In In In In In In in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in in, in, inanimate incessant incident indeed indeed indeed indeed indefatigable indefatigable indifferent indifferent individual, individuals individuals. indolence inducing infancy infancy infancy infant infinite infinite inflated inflation inflexibility influence influence, influenced influenced influences Information information information information information ingenious ingredients ingredients ingredients: inherent inimitable Initially innocent inscrutable inseparable inspiration; inspirations inspired inspires, Instead instinctively institutions institutions, intellect intellect intellect intellect intellect intellect intellects intellectual intellectual intellectual intellectual intellectual intellectual intellectual intellectual intellectual intellectual, intelligence intended inter interchange interest interested interested interested interesting interesting interesting, interesting, interests interpreter interventions into into into into into into into into into into into into into into into into into into into into into into into into into into: intoxicates invariable invariable invention investigation invocation Io Io, Irish, iron Iron iron iron iron iron iron, iron. iron; iron; irony irony is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is is, is, is, is, Islands. isn't isn't isolated it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it It It It it it it it it It It It It it It It It It it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it it It it it it it it, it, it, it, it, it, it, it. it. it. it. it. it. it: Italian its its its its its its its its its its Its its its its its its its its its its its its its its it's It's It's it's it's it's it's it's I'd I'll I'll I'll I'm I'm I've I've I've
jack-ass Jeremy jingle job job John John Johnson Johnson's journal judge judge judge judges, jump Jupiter, jury just just just just just just just just just justice justice Juvenal.
Kant, keep kicked kids, kill KillerMuffin? kimono kinds, king king king, king. king: kingdoms, kings kings, KM. knew knights know know know know know know know know know, knowing knowledge knowledge knowledge knowledge knowledge knowledge, knowledge, knowledge, knowledge, known known known known, known, knows knows knows,
labour labour laboured laboured labours. lack Lake lamentable Lancashire Lancashire, land land lands language language language, language, language, language, language; languages large large larger last last last last last, lastly, latter latter, law, laws laymen leader leading leading leads learned learning learning, learning; least least leave leaves Leda left left legends legends legends, legislator legislators: lemmings, length less less less less less let letter Letter letter. letters letters. Letting Let's level level, liberally Libraries. Libraries. licence, life life life life life life, life, life. life. life. life. life: lifetime, Light light light light light light, light. light; like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like like likely likewise liking limited limited limited limited, line line line, lines liquor. lisps listened listless Literary literature literature literature, literature; little little little little little little little little little little, live live live live Live lived lived lives living living living Livy; locality long long long Long longer longer look look looked looking looks looks loose Lord lost lot lot lot love love love Love Love lovely lover, lower lower lucky. Lucy lunatic lyric lyrical. l'amour
made made made, magazine magic magician, magis magnificence magnificence, magnificence, magnificence, magnified magnify magnifying magnitude maid maidens: main major make make make make make makes makes makes makes making making male man man man man man man man man man, man. mankind, Manley manner manner: manners manners manners manners, manners, many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many man's man's march margin. marked market market. marring marvellous marvellous Mary Masefield mask masses masses master. matches. materials materials materials materials. mathematicians, matters-of-fact: maturity maturity maxim maxims may may may may may may may may may may may may may may may may may may may maybe ma'am. McCarthy's me me me me Me, me. me... me.:devil::D mean mean mean meaning means measure measure measure. measured measured, measurements. meet meet member members memorials. memory memory memory, memory. men men men men Men men men, men, men, men. Menander, mental mental mental mentioned mentions mere merely merely Meridian, message metaphors metaphysicians, metaphysics, meter methinks. methodical, metre, metre, meum middle midst might might might millions. Milton, mind mind mind mind mind mind, mind, mind. mind. mind. mind. mind; mind; mind; minds minds minds minds, minimal, minstrels minstrelsy, minted minted, minutely-detailed minuter mirror Miscellany misery misrepresented mist mistaking mists mix. mixed mixed mixed mockeries mode models models modern modern modern modern Modern modern-antique modes modified modulation modulation, mole, money. monks monotonous monotonous monotony monstrosities, moods Moore moral moral moral moralists, moralists, morality, morals morbid morbid more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more more, Morea morose most most most most most most most most most most most most most most most most motley motto mountains mountains, mountains. mountebanks moved moved, Mr. Mr. Mr. Mr. Mr. Mr. Mr. Mr. Mr. much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much much multifarious multiplication, multitude multitudes multitudes, Muse, Muses, music music, music. must must must must must must must must must must must must must must must must must must must must must must must must, My My my mysteries mysterious mysterious mystery, mysticism. mysticisms mysticisms
Naiads naked naked name name name, name; names names names names. narrative, national nations nations nations natural natural natural natural natural, naturally naturally nature nature nature nature nature nature nature nature, nature, nature, nature. nauseating, nearly necessarily necessarily necessarily necessity need need needs neglect neglect neglected, neighbourhood neither never never never new new new new new new new new new new New new new new new new new new new newest newly newly next next night, nine nine no no no no no no no no no no no no no No no no no no no no no, no. non none None none Nonnic. Nonnus, nonsense nonsense, nonsense. nor nor nor nor nor nor nor nose. not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not not, not. nothing nothing nothing Nothing nothing nothing. nothings. notice: notices, novelty novelty: Now Now Now now now now now now Now, nucleus number number number. numbers numbers numbers numbers, numbers, numerical numerous nuns, nutriuntur nymphs nymphs,
object object observation observation, observation. observation; observe observing obsolete obtains obvious obvious obvious occasionally Occasionally, occupation occupies occurred Odyssey, Odyssey, of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of Of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of of, of. off off off often often often often Og oggbashan old old old old old old old olere Olliers olympic Olympic on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on on On-line Once Once Once once once once once once, once. one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one one One one one one one one one one ones ones ones Online only only only only only only only only only only only only only only only only only only only only only only only only. onus operation opinion opinion. opinions, opportunity opposite opposite. or or or or or Or or or or or or or or or or or or or or or or or or or or or or or or or oracles oracles order order order order: ordered ordinary organ organ organized origin origin origin origin original original original original original. ornamental ornamental ornamental, ornamented Orpheus other other other other other other Other other other, others others, others, others. others. others. others. other's our our our our our ourselves out out out out out out out out out, outline over over over over over over over overran owe owed own own own own own own.
pace page paid Paid pains, painted Painting painting painting, Paladins, palatable palm panegyrical. paper paper. paradox paradoxes paragraph parameters Parnassus part part part part parts. parturition pass: passages passim: passing passing passion passion passion, passion, passion, passions passions, past past past past, past. past. path. pathos, pathos, patriarchs pay pays, Peacock Peacock Peacock Peacock peculiar pede pee Pennsylvanian people people people people people people people people, peopled peopled perceive perceive perception perception perceptions perceptions. perfect perfection perfection perfection perfection perfection, perfection: perfectly perfectly perfunctory Perhaps perish. permanent permanently persauded Persian, persistant personages personal personal personal personal persons, persons, pertinacity. perusal pervaded pervades perversion PETRONIUS. petty phantasies phantastical phantasy phatic phatic phatic philosopher philosopher, philosophic philosophical philosophy, philosophy, phrase. physical, picks picture picture picture; picturesque picturesque picturesque, pierced, pilgrim Pindar pirates place place place place, place. places plain play play: playthings pleasant please please pleasing pleasure pleasure pleasure plentifully plenty Plus Plutonium poachers Poe Poe Poe poem poem poem poem poem poem poem poem poem poem poem: poems poems poems Poems, poet poet poet poet poet poet poet poet poet poet poet poet poet poet poet poet poet, poet, poet, poet. poet. poet; poetic poetic Poetic poetic poetic? poetical poetical poetical poetical poetical poetical poetical poetical Poetical poetical Poetical poetical. poetical; poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry Poetry Poetry Poetry Poetry Poetry Poetry Poetry Poetry Poetry poetry poetry poetry Poetry Poetry Poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry poetry Poetry poetry poetry! poetry, poetry, poetry, poetry, poetry, poetry, Poetry, poetry, POETRY, poetry, poetry, poetry, poetry, poetry, poetry, poetry, poetry, poetry, poetry, poetry, poetry. poetry. poetry. poetry. poetry. poetry. poetry. poetry. poetry. poetry. poetry. poetry. poetry: poetry; poets poets poets Poets poets poets poets poets poets poets poets poets, poets, poets. Poets; poet's poet's poet's poet's Poe's point points polish polish polish polish; polished polished political political politicians, polity polity, ponderous Pope, popularity portion portion portion portion portion portion portions portraits possesses possesses possession possessions possessions; possessor possible possible possunt, post posterity. potential pour power power power power power power power power power power, power, power, power: practical practice, practices praise praise praised Pravda? prayers pre-eminence; pre-eminent precise prefers prejudices prematurely prescription prescription present present present present present present presented presented presented presented presented presented presents preserved, presiding press Press pretension. pretty pretty prevalent priest Prince Principle principle principle principle principle; principles printing privileges prize-fighter, probably probably, problem problem problem problem problem process Procrustes; produce. produced produced professed professes progress progress progress progress progress progress progress, progression, prominent prominent promiscuous promotion promulgate pronunciation propensity proper properties property proportion proportion proportion prose prose prose prose Prose prose Prose prospect, prosperity Protect protecting prove public public, public, Published published Published puling puling pull pure Pure purity purpose pursuit pursuit, pursuit; purveyors. put Put put putting pyramid,
quadruple quality quality quality quam querulous, question question question, questions Qui qui quo, quo,
rabid, rack raised raking rambling range range range range range range ranging rant rapid rapid rare Rasselas, rate rate, rather rather rather rather rather ratio ratiocinated rational rattle rattles ray re-casts reach read read read read, read. reader reader reader reader reader reader. readers readers readers readers reading reading ready real real real really really really really really really reason reason reason reason reason reason reason, reason. reason. reason; reasoning reasoning recal recasting, receive received received receiving recipient recite recited recited recognition, recognize recognized reconcile reconstructed reconstructions recording Reference references referred refined reflection regarded regarding Regent's-canal. regions regions reign reign reject. rejecting relation relation relationship. relative relative relics relieved religion remaining remains remark remarkable remarked, remember remember Remembering remembers remote rendered Rep. repeated repetita repetition repetition repetition. reply, reputation reputation reputation require requires requires requires requires requires resolvable respect respective respond. response responsibility rest rest rest. restating...Although, result. resulted resulted retreat, retreated retrograde retrospective; return return returners reverse reverse. revival revive rhapsodies, rhyme rhyme rhyme rhyme. rhyme. rhymed rhymes rhymes rhymesters, rhymesters, rhyming ridicule ridiculous right right, right, rightly rime ripen ripened rise rise rise rising rivalry, rivals rivals rivals rivers rivers, robber robbing rocks Rocks, rolls Roman Roman Roman Roman romance Romantics rough roughly round round roused roused, Rousseau, RPO RPO rub rubbish rubbish rude rude rude rude rude ruder rue ruggedness rules rules, rung running rush
sacrificed sacrifices, said said said said said said said said said said said same same same same same same same. same. same: Samuel sapere satiric: savage savage, savages saw saw say say, saying saying, scale scale. scarcely scattered scene scene, scenery scenes: scepticism schemes school schools schools. schools. science science, science. sciences sciences; scientific scientific scope Scott scruple sculpture seas, second second second, second-hand second. secret secretaries secretaries secure see See see see see see see see seed seeing seek seeks seem seem seems seems seems seems seen seen seen seen sees, select selection selects selects selfish semi- semi-barbarian semi-civilized semibarbarous sending sense sense sense sentence sentence sentiment, sentiment, sentiment: sentimentality serious serve serves Services, set set settled settling Several several severity sexton, sextons; shade, shades shadow shake shaken, Shakespeare Shakey, shall share share share share share share share shared sharpen she she Shelley Shelley's Shelley's shift, shining shit shock shores short shot should should should should should should should shouldn't showing shown sighing sign silver silver silver silver silver silver, silver, silver, silver; similar similar simple simplest simplicity since singing single single sink sink skilful skill Skipped sleep slight slightest slipping, sloppy slow small small smile snowball: snuffed so so so so so So so so so so so so So so So so So so so, so, social society society society society society Society society, society, society, society. society. society: sock soft sole solemn solid some some some some some some some some some some some Some some some someone, someone's something something something something something something something something something something, sometimes somewhat somewhat song, songs songs songs songs songs songs, sonofabitch sons sons soon Sophocles. Sorry sort sort sound sound. sound: Sounds Source: sources, Southey Southey's speaks specialized species species; specimen specious spectacle Speculations, speech spells sphere spirit spirit; spirits, spit splendid splendid spoil, spoken. Spontaneity spread spring spriteliness squat stab stability stage stamp stand stans staple state state state state state state state state. state; stated statement states states states statesman, status status step stile still still still still still still still still still still stimulate stood store story stowed strain stranger stranger, streaks strength strength stride strike striking striking strings strong: struck structure. structures, studied studies: studious, studiously study: stuff, stupid style subject subjecting subjective. subjective. subjects: sublimity, sublimity: subordinacy substantial. substitute substituted subtle succeed succeeded succeeded; success success success success. successful successful successful successful successions. such such such such such such such such sufficient sufficient sufficient summary summer summit summit sumo sunken superadds superinduced superinduced superinscribed superior superiour supernatural superstitions superstitions, superstitions. sure sure sure, surface surround surrounded surrounded, survived suspects. swains Swedenborgian switch sword, syllable sylvan symbol. Symbolism symbols... symphony; system
table, takes taking tale, talents tales talk tangible task Taylor, technical Technology tell telling telling tend tender, Tennyson Tennyson, terms text text Thamyris than than than than than than than than than than than than than than than than than than than than than than that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that That that that that That That that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that that, that. that. that: that's the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the The The The The The The The The The The The The The The The The The The The The The the The the The The The The The The The The The The The The The the the The The the The the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the The The The the the the the the the the the the The The the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the The The The The The The The The The The the The the The The The The the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the The the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the The the the the the the The the the the the the The the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the the their their their their their their their their their their their their their their their their their their their their their their their their their their their their Their their their Their their their their their their their them them them them them them them them them them them them them them them, them, them, them, them, them, them. them. them: themes themselves themselves themselves themselves themselves. then then then then Then Then theologians theologians, theory theory, theory. there there there there there there there there there There There There There there There There There there There there. there? therefore therefore therefore therefore therefore therefore therefore therefore therefore therefore these these these these These These these these these these these these these these these these Thetis; They they they They they they they They They They they they they they they they they they they they they they they they they they they they they they they They're thickened thicket thief thief thief, thieves thing thing thing thing thing thing, things things things things things things Things things things things things, things, things, things, things, think think think think think think think think think think thinkers. thinking thinking thinking, third, this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this this This This This This This This This This This This This This This this This This this this This this this this, this, this: Thomas Thomas Thomson thoroughly those those those those those those those those those though though though though though though though though though though. thought thought thought thoughts thoughts thoughts, thoughts, thoughts, thousands thread thread, three three three three? through through through through through through through through through-text throw Thucydides Thucydides, Thucydides: thunder thunder thus Thus thus thus thus thus thus thus tick till till till time time time time time time time time time, time, time, time, time, time. times times times, times. tissue to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to To To To To To to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to to, to, today today Today, today, today. today's tomorrow's tone tongue too too too too too Too too too too, took took took took, tool, Toronto Toronto Toronto Toronto. totality, toward towards towards trace tracing trades trades, tradition tradition, tradition, traditional traditional traditional traditionary traditions tragic tranquillity transcendent transcendental transcendental transcendental transition translates translator. translator. transmitting trauma. travel travelled travels travels, treasures treatment trees trees tribes trick trickiest tricks. Triumphe, troubadours, troubadours, troubled troublesome true true true trust, truth truth truth truth truth truth truth. Truth? truths truths truths, truths, truths, try try. trying tulip, tumid turned turning tutelary tuum. two two two two two two two Type type type type typical
unamalgamating uncivilized unconducive, uncultivated uncultured under under under under understand, understanding understanding understandings understood undivided unformed unfortunate united universal universal: University University University University unless Unless unmanly unnavigable unnecessary uno, unpoetical unpoetical unregulated unsubdued unsubdued unvarnished up up up up up up up up up up up up updating.:( upon upon upon upper upset urge us us us us us. used useful useful useful useful useful useful useful useful useful useful, useless, using usual usual usually utilities utility utmost
valid valuable valuable value, vanity vanity vanity, variables variables variables, variables. varieties variety variety variety variety various various various veil; Venetian vent vent venting Venus: verbose verdure verse verse verse Verse verse Verse! verse, verse, verse, verse, verse, verse. verse. verses verses, versification versifiers versifying very very very very very very very very Very very very very very via Vico viewed views views, vigilance village violence Virgil Virgil Virgilian; virtue, virtue, visible visions vivid voice Voltaire, volumes voyages Vulcan
wades wallowing want want want want wanted wanted wants warmed warrior warrior, was was Was was was was was was was was was was was was was was was was was was was was was was was was was was was was was was was, was, wasn't wasn't WASPs waster waving way way way way way way, way. ways we we we we we we We We we we we we we we we we we we we we we we we we We we weak weak wearisome, wears Web weight welcomed. well well Well Well well well well went were were were were were were were were were were were were were were were were were were were weren't Werter, wet what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what what: whatever whatever whatever, when when when when when when when when when When when when when when when when when when when when whence whence whence Where where: whether whether which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which which, which, which, which, which, which, which, which, while while While while while while whining whining who who who who who who who who who who who who who who who who who who who who who who, whole whole whole whole whole whole whom whom Whose whose whose whose Whose whose why widows wild will will will will will will will will will will will will will will will will will winner with with with with with with with with with with With with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with with withdraw withdrawn within without without without without without without without without without witnessed wits woman, women women women wonder wonderful, wonders wonders words words words words, Wordsworth Wordsworth, Wordsworth. work work work work work work work! work, work, work, work? works world world world world world world world world, world, world. world; worse worse worthy worthy would would would would would would would would wouldn't would've woven wrestling wretch! write write write write write write write write write write write, writer writer writer writer writer writer, writer's writes writing writing writing written written written wrong wrong wrote wrote,
yawning Yeah, years years years years. Yeats Yeats yet yet yet yet yet yet yet yet, yields. you you you you you you you You you you you you you you you you, you. you? young young, your your your Your Your yourself You're
Zeus
§00 §00 §1 §2 §3 §4 §5 §6 §7 §8 §9 §10 §11 §12 §13 §14 §15 §16 §17 §18 §19 §20 §21 §22 §23 §24 §25 §26 §27 §28 §29 §30 §31 §32 §33 §34 §35 §36 §37 §38 §39 §40 §41 §42 §43 §44 §45 §46 §47 §48 §49 §50 §51 §52 §53 §54 §55 §56 §57 §58 §59 §60 §61 §62 §63 §64 §65 §66 §67 §68 §69 §70 §71 §72 §73 §74 §75 §76 §77 §78 §79 §80 §81 §82 §83 §84 §85 §86 §87 §88 §89 §90 §91 §92 §93 §94 §95 §96 §97 §98 §99 §100 §101 §102 §103 §104 §105 §106 §107 §108 §109 §110 §111 §112 §113 §114 §115 §116 §117 §118 §119 §120 §121 §122 §123 §124 §125 §126 §127 §128 §129 §130 §131 §132 §133 §134 §135 §136 §137 ¶1 ¶2 ¶3 ¶4 ¶5 ¶6 ¶7 ¶8 ¶9 ¶10 ¶11 ¶12 ¶13 ¶14 ¶15 ¶16 ¶17 ¶18 ¶19 ¶20 ¶21 ¶22 ¶23 ¶24 ¶25 ¶26 ¶27 ¶28 ¶29 ¶30 ¶31
I agree with ya'll. :)

degraded degree deification

daily daily damn damn damn,
dance, Danish daring dark darkness
darkness Darwin data.
Dated, daughters

I like your poem Palba_Noruda
Excellent alliteration, but it seems like I've seen it before.
+ this line reads better w/o the comma
dance Danish daring dark darkness

Pablo, it hurts my eyes too much even trying to read your post :eek:

i wonder if that was your message to us all... :cool:

Making the familiar strange and the strange familiar is an important bit of theory for me.

The poet uses metaphor (the most important trick of all, imo) to attach the familiar to something more fantastical. Thereby suggesting meaning to that which might otherwise seem quite meaningless.

Likewise, the poet is able to use metaphor to attach the unknown to the well-known, thereby bringing sense or comfort.

The poet can pursue this end in a personal way, writing only for herself, or in a communicative way, for an audience. Two different approaches that will end in two different poems.

Paradox might exist in the poet's intention.

Sometimes, a poet might write for the purpose of establishing an identity as a poet. And for no other reason.

I was reading a book called "Narratives from the Crib."

In this book, they introduce the concept of non-communicative monologues. It turns out some babies babel to themselves before going to sleep, with nobody else in the room.

I think there is an element of poetry to such babel. Or an element of babel to some poetry.

For formal mumbo jumbo about the history of Making the familiar strange and the strange familiar:

http://alistair.cockburn.us/Making+the+strange+familiar,+and+the+familiar+strange#discussion

Making the familiar strange and the strange familiar is an important bit of theory for me.

The poet uses metaphor (the most important trick of all, imo) to attach the familiar to something more fantastical. Thereby suggesting meaning to that which might otherwise seem quite meaningless.

Likewise, the poet is able to use metaphor to attach the unknown to the well-known, thereby bringing sense or comfort.

The poet can pursue this end in a personal way, writing only for herself, or in a communicative way, for an audience. Two different approaches that will end in two different poems.

Paradox might exist in the poet's intention.

Sometimes, a poet might write for the purpose of establishing an identity as a poet. And for no other reason.

I was reading a book called "Narratives from the Crib."

In this book, they introduce the concept of non-communicative monologues. It turns out some babies babel to themselves before going to sleep, with nobody else in the room.

I think there is an element of poetry to such babel. Or an element of babel to some poetry.

For formal mumbo jumbo about the history of Making the familiar strange and the strange familiar:

http://alistair.cockburn.us/Making+the+strange+familiar,+and+the+familiar+strange#discussion

The metaphor, "theory of poetry" is the problem. Poetry is metaphor and can only be defined with another metaphor.

The term "theory" does not apply to poetry in any useful fashion. In science, a theory is a concept which explains an observed phenomena and predicts the existence of one yet unseen. If someone can state a theory of poetry which meets this standard, I want to hear it. When there is no objective observation, there can be no objective standard.

I once had a neighbor who was playing Arab music on his stereo. To me, it sounded like the death of many cats. I could not understand the words and did not like the melody. I finally had enough and knocked on his door. He opened the door and I saw tears running down his face. I asked what was wrong.

He said he was okay, just that the song was so sad, it always made him cry.

I forgot to mention:

There is a notion that suggests taking communication as the intention of a poem compromises the integrity of the poem.

The belief is that when you write something in exchange for payment, you are a whore.

So to extend that argument, when a poet writes something in order to communicate, he is seeking to be paid. But instead of being paid with money, he wants to be paid with understanding or at least empathy. He wants his sense of alienation to be relieved or his sins to be forgiven. Does that make him a whore?

It's a harsh argument that I think the art community has gotten past. I mean, now-a-days to make art, one has to address the rampant commercialism that infests every square inch of human existence. The way most artists address said commercialism is to participate fully as johns AND whores.

Or maybe it's because the "I wanna be a whore" role-players have finally made the desire to be a whore a legit phenomenon to the point where being a whore is actually some sort of accomplishment.

I forgot to mention:

There is a notion that suggests taking communication as the intention of a poem compromises the integrity of the poem.

The belief is that when you write something in exchange for payment, you are a whore.

So to extend that argument, when a poet writes something in order to communicate, he is seeking to be paid. But instead of being paid with money, he wants to be paid with understanding or at least empathy. He wants his sense of alienation to be relieved or his sins to be forgiven. Does that make him a whore?

It's a harsh argument that I think the art community has gotten past. I mean, now-a-days to make art, one has to address the rampant commercialism that infests every square inch of human existence. The way most artists address said commercialism is to participate fully as johns AND whores.

Or maybe it's because the "I wanna be a whore" role-players have finally made the desire to be a whore a legit phenomenon to the point where being a whore is actually some sort of accomplishment.

I want to be a whore. I want to be a well paid whore.

The real problem is there is no market for whores who try to sell what most people give away.

Real whores sell their talent to someone who really wants it and consumes it on the spot. There is an old liner which goes, "A true friend is the guy who gets two blowjobs and brings one back for you."

When a poet wants to be whore, his customer is someone who thinks they can sell it to someone else.

So to extend that argument, when a poet writes something in order to communicate, ...
WTF

here it is

Writer

Poem

Reader

A large part of this problem is the readers reaction: This says something...it says something in the same way anything external can. Maybe it's just my def for communication which always implies a two way flow between people. At a reading a certain amount of communication does take place because the feedback loop is there (body language, audience reaction, etc.) but that would be:

Reader

Poem

Listener

I can imagine a poem

Reader: "God, that really says something to me...."

Poem:

Poem:

Poem:

Until some sort of breakthough is reached

Poem: "Good, I exist just for you, but that is vertical communication, we should try horizonal also"

That would be more commonly known as breakdown

A large part of this problem is the readers reaction:

Yes, I agree.

I believe the relationship between poet and audience can ultimately be paradoxical.

There is a lovely Korean film called Spring Summer Fall Winter ... and Spring.

In the film, there is a mystic who writes poetry on a rock with a brush and water. By the time he gets to the end of the poem, the beginning is evaporating. And so he composes poems to himself in impermanent loops.

It's poetry, but it needs no audience. It is a practice for right living.

Still, he is getting something from the poetry, so I suppose that still makes him a whore. LOL.

For me, no discussion of poetry theory is complete without acknowledging such a personal practice.

The audience, in this kind of poetry, can be a way to tune the self. Language is such a social phenomenon, the poet wants to check in with others in order to tune the poetry and the self. Is that horizontal communication?

On another note, I was listening to an interview with the poet Louise Gluck, where she says:

"No, not communication of the self. That's not what I want. In fact the issue of ego is very sensitive to me. I think most contemporary poetry is horrifically disfigured by it. There is a territoriality in most poetry that goes out to claim 'my pain,' 'my father,' 'my mother,' 'my past. There's a swagger to it that offends me greatly. I would like to write poetry that is intensely personal but completely devoid of egotism. Dickinson is the easiest example."

Of course, Dickinson had one, maybe two, people she shared her work with in her lifetime?

http://alexanderneubauer.com/category/blog/
(audio of several interviews)

Poetry which is intended for no one but the author is a form of masturbation. It does need to please or appeal to anyone outside its limited audience.

If it serves it's purpose, there is no reason for anyone else to judge it, or in most cases even read it.

The Gospel of John King James Version
1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

This might be an interesting avenue to pursue. Check out: Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct. easy read, but important work on brain development. And how and why it stops.

But imagine the power and infant feels when language starts to work for it; the attention.

continuing....in book after book, I keep finding things like

...getting behind the word
...the words becoming the Word

All I would have to do, is flesh this out, footnote the hell out of it, PHD thesis that no one would read. - too old,
too much time, better spent
fucking with the word
fucking with the audience

But you Palba, may be on to something here.

Perhaps. What do you think about prayer? Masturbation also?

If a poem falls down in a forest and no one is there to read it, does it exist? :)

A lot of masturbation concludes with a short prayer.

If a prayer is masturbation, then a prayer circle would be a circle jerk. Certainly, most group discussions about poetry become one, sooner or later.

PHD
too much time better spent

Meh, I would rather spend my time alphabetizing word lists, breaking the words into parts of speech, rewriting all the posts with the same words only differently, creating similes for all my new phrases, creating poems out of the similes, creating stories out of the poems by mixing them with the writing in my notebooks and by stealing plots and such from others.

So yes, time better spent doing something else :)

If a prayer is masturbation, then a prayer circle would be a circle jerk. Certainly, most group discussions about poetry become one, sooner or later.

Heh heh. Is that an invitation?

:eek:

we're having fun

You said it, chip. :)

Back