By the Light of the Moon (closed)

Serena Jane let out a long sigh as she started to eat the food that he had prepared for her. It was delicious and lifted her spirits briefly as she ate, but those dark storm clouds were always right around the corner. When she was finished, she sat back with a sigh and looked back out through the window.

“So…how did you get your own house away from the pack?” She asked, blurting out the question before she had thought about it.

Sam was a little taken aback by her question. He thought about it, and realized it made sense. "It got really bad when I was younger. You know how our kind live to be several hundred years old. Well, when we first came to these lands, our two clans, there were nomads around here. They hadn't changed from their wolf form in so long that it was very hard for them," he started, explaining what she already knew, but knowing it helped to explain his story.

"I was born small for my bloodline. My father originally had several houses built for his sons. He worried about me being killed by a nomad, or a rival. I went to another house. Instead of being safe, I fell into the fight of my life. Luckily, our blood allows us to grow stronger with each victory we gain over an opponent," he continued, knowing that each pure bloodline had some special trait attached to it.

"It helped my wolf form grow until I easily surpassed the largest wolves in this area. It also gave me a practical knowledge of fighting as a wolf that is unsurpassed. The downside was that my human form is still the runt of the litter," he said, baring his teeth in frustration. His bloodline's ability only translated to their wolf form, and as such, he was unparalleled in fighting in his wolf form. Yet as a human, he struggled in even a simple altercation.

"My father, upon seeing my wolf form's size, realized how much of a "Jekyll and Hyde" situation he had. This house is my sanctuary. Few know of its location, and those that do know not to disturb me, as I'm usually in my wolf form. That might be why you noticed I was quite a bit larger than your average wolf, even Dante, though he does not know it. My father was the one to inform me of that, and he did that without anyone else knowing," Sam said.

He had learned through the rules of combat that a wolf could only fight another wolf, not a human. It was one of the reasons why he stayed away from conflict. Unless someone was bold enough to challenge him, he would have to fight them as a human. He had survived a few fights so far, mainly through luck and cunning on his part. He realized he actually spent almost 85% of his time as a wolf, only changing to eat and take care of his human needs.

He looked down at Serena and smiled. "Does that answer your question? This home is my sanctuary. What it appears like on the outside is actually just a shell. The true beauty of it lies within the structure beneath it," he said, reflecting on the huge cavern this house was built on, that he had shaped into the space he so desired.

Serena Jane listened to his story in silence, cocking her head every so often as he said something that interested her. She had never known another pack that would let members live away from the central house. Dante’s home was always a hive of activity with his rooms in the very center. He was the most important person in that pack and he made sure that everyone else knew that.

“The structure beneath?” She asked suddenly, taken back that this tiny little house could have more to it. “There’s more?”

Sam nodded, then stood up. "Yes, there's a huge cavern beneath the house, probably 20 feet below the house. I've spent my whole time here creating a huge sanctuary for myself. It has a workout room, sleep room, movie room, and anything else I so choose," he said, smiling.

It was designed with his wolf form in mind, but he also loved being a human in his cavern. "Would you like to see it?" he asked, extending his hand as he stood up and waited.

Serena Jane looked at his hand as it was extended towards her, cocking her head to the side as she considered whether she was going to take it or not. He seemed eager and wanted her to go with him. He was so incredibly different from Dante, wanting to show her a world just because she’d asked him to. Dante wouldn’t have given her the time of day if she’d made such a request.

“Sure.” She said softly, slipping her slender hand into his warm palm and allowing him to pull her from her seat. “I would love to see it.”

Back