canes and single tails

catalina_francisco said:
Found the easiest way to straighten mine was to strap them to a broom for a few days :D I think half the fun is creating them from scratch and knowing the finished product is all my work. Added to that, I found the sanding and shaping of the ends etc., very peaceful.

Catalina

I understand that, but would never suggest creating canes from "scratch" to someone who knows nothing about them and unable to recognize flaws and inconsistencies in the material, so I feel buying them at least pre-straightened and cut is a much better option for most.

catalina_francisco said:
Found the easiest way to straighten mine was to strap them to a broom for a few days :D I think half the fun is creating them from scratch and knowing the finished product is all my work. Added to that, I found the sanding and shaping of the ends etc., very peaceful.

Catalina

I am like that too.....i am currently working on a cat that i am braiding myself and its fun to know its all my work and it does help to pass the time without Him by making me think of Him when i am working on it :)

serijules said:
I would suggest checking out www.hansonpaddle.com and buying their bundle of unfinished rattan canes in various sizes. They are cheap and the hard part is done for you (straightening), plus you get a variety of thicknesses.

thanks serijules :)

serijules said:
I understand that, but would never suggest creating canes from "scratch" to someone who knows nothing about them and unable to recognize flaws and inconsistencies in the material, so I feel buying them at least pre-straightened and cut is a much better option for most.

I had never even seen one before I started, but like Dragonlace, I asked and sought out advice and variations on how to and then jumped in and my first efforts I am told are of a quality some D's think I could be marketing. Is a satisfying way to learn and create for me.

Catalina

serijules said:

Ooops..computer glitch.

Catalina

Last edited:
dragonlace said:
I am like that too.....i am currently working on a cat that i am braiding myself and its fun to know its all my work and it does help to pass the time without Him by making me think of Him when i am working on it :)

Cool.....that is another thing I want to try doing.

Catalina

catalina_francisco said:
Cool.....that is another thing I want to try doing.

Catalina

so far its kinda cool and fun too :) can't wait to start on the next couple of projects :)

I actually decorated one of my canes with aboriginal art which looks cool and makes it distinctive.

Catalina

catalina_francisco said:
I actually decorated one of my canes with aboriginal art which looks cool and makes it distinctive.

Catalina

I was thinking of maybe making one and using a wood burner to make celtic designs in the handle .....maybe a dragon :) but that is the next project......i was also considering a paddle with a carved dragon in it but of course i want to carve it myself....i saw a similar one but didn't like the dragon and i saw the marks it left just like the carving and i thought it was interesting.

Sanding and finishing canes can be very relaxing and rewarding in a multitude of ways. My worry with a person completely new to canes is that they don't have a frame of reference to how a finished cane should look. A crack in the tip that can't be seen unless the cane is in motion or a a missed rough knob could make for a bad caning experience or injury. Not many people I know, including myself, care to have broken skin during a caning scene. You may get lucky your first time out at making them and nothing go wrong, but I personally wouldn't want to risk it.
Perhaps a good alternative to having someone hands on show you would be to buy one finished cane from a reputable company and some unfinished ones that you can work on. That way you have something to compare your work against.

LadyHeart

www.LadyHeart.com

LadyHeart said:
Sanding and finishing canes can be very relaxing and rewarding in a multitude of ways. My worry with a person completely new to canes is that they don't have a frame of reference to how a finished cane should look. A crack in the tip that can't be seen unless the cane is in motion or a a missed rough knob could make for a bad caning experience or injury. Not many people I know, including myself, care to have broken skin during a caning scene. You may get lucky your first time out at making them and nothing go wrong, but I personally wouldn't want to risk it.
Perhaps a good alternative to having someone hands on show you would be to buy one finished cane from a reputable company and some unfinished ones that you can work on. That way you have something to compare your work against.

LadyHeart

www.LadyHeart.com

i have seen many canes just have not felt them as of yet and have done alot of work with wood and such and will always think of safety first but there is always a first step and whether i use it or not, i think it would be a wonderful thing to try and even if it ends up on a shelf i will always know it was my creation. Thanks.

I too am very aware of safety which is why I asked experienced people first when making mine, and received top points from them on my finished product which they felt were so good they needed no improvement,,,,on this I disagree but I am a perfectionist so what do you expect. I wonder if someone shouldn't try to make a cane until they have experience at it, how do they get it?

Buying an unfinished cane and varnishing it yourself or buying a finished one, will not give the experience needed to sand and straighten it yourself, only doing it can do that. I do not mean any disrespect, but I found the sanding of the tip a challenge but in no way risky as I used common sense and lots of testing of the cane before selecting the right pieces. The main difficulty I encountered was in perfecting the roundness from all angles of looking at the tip, and given my sight problems I always use the sense of touch as well to verify things are right. Any signs of weakness, dips, or bumps in the cane were immediately dealt with one way or another. For me it was an enriching and rewarding experience.

Catalina

catalina_francisco said:
I too am very aware of safety which is why I asked experienced people first when making mine, and received top points from them on my finished product which they felt were so good they needed no improvement,,,,on this I disagree but I am a perfectionist so what do you expect. I wonder if someone shouldn't try to make a cane until they have experience at it, how do they get it?

Buying an unfinished cane and varnishing it yourself or buying a finished one, will not give the experience needed to sand and straighten it yourself, only doing it can do that. I do not mean any disrespect, but I found the sanding of the tip a challenge but in no way risky as I used common sense and lots of testing of the cane before selecting the right pieces. The main difficulty I encountered was in perfecting the roundness from all angles of looking at the tip, and given my sight problems I always use the sense of touch as well to verify things are right. Any signs of weakness, dips, or bumps in the cane were immediately dealt with one way or another. For me it was an enriching and rewarding experience.

Catalina

thanks Catalina.....i was sort of thinking that myself how does one get experience if not trying it that first time themselves :)

dragonlace said:
thanks Catalina.....i was sort of thinking that myself how does one get experience if not trying it that first time themselves :)

Phew!! Thanks. I thought perhaps after being a granny for nearly three years, the brain cells had decided to give up...I just didn't know if I had missed something obvious or not.

Catalina:catgrin:

catalina_francisco said:
Phew!! Thanks. I thought perhaps after being a granny for nearly three years, the brain cells had decided to give up...I just didn't know if I had missed something obvious or not.

Catalina:catgrin:

*smiles*youre welcome and thank you.....kinda thought i was missing something myself :)

My comments were certainly not pointed at any one poster, just my comments on the thread. I am also not trying to dissuade anyone from what they obviously have their heart set on, just trying to offer my thoughts based on my hands on experience. I was not suggesting that a person not try it if they have no experience, just to find a good resource to help them along. I'm stepping out of this thread now and leaving it to those more wise than myself. Good luck and I hope your journey is nothing but good with the cane.

LadyHeart

www.LadyHeart.com

LadyHeart said:
My comments were certainly not pointed at any one poster, just my comments on the thread. I am also not trying to dissuade anyone from what they obviously have their heart set on, just trying to offer my thoughts based on my hands on experience. I was not suggesting that a person not try it if they have no experience, just to find a good resource to help them along. I'm stepping out of this thread now and leaving it to those more wise than myself. Good luck and I hope your journey is nothing but good with the cane.

LadyHeart

www.LadyHeart.com

No offence was meant LH, but I guess my experience in life has been there are more people willing to tell you not to try something, than there are to support and encourage you. I lived in an environment most of my life where I was discouraged from trying most things and paid for it dearly. I decided about 10 years ago it was not for me anymore and though I meet a lot of opposition often, I find overall it is better I try no matter how frightening at times. Think it is part of my Gemini personality, as is my perfectionist tendencies I think. Is always fun trying even if I don't always get it right first time, I learn. Neither way is right or wrong, just differnt strokes for differnt folks.

Catalina

catalina_francisco said:
No offence was meant LH, but I guess my experience in life has been there are more people willing to tell you not to try something, than there are to support and encourage you. I lived in an environment most of my life where I was discouraged from trying most things and paid for it dearly. I decided about 10 years ago it was not for me anymore and though I meet a lot of opposition often, I find overall it is better I try no matter how frightening at times. Think it is part of my Gemini personality, as is my perfectionist tendencies I think. Is always fun trying even if I don't always get it right first time, I learn. Neither way is right or wrong, just differnt strokes for differnt folks.

Catalina

thanks to everyone for all the information they have given....:)

another question on the subject if i may......in single tails and canes for handles....what is prefered for comfort for the wielder....i have seen a great many handles made of different materials but wonder which would be best to make the cane or single tail like an extention of the arm? and help to keep it fliud so to speak?

I'm back :D

Here're the promised comments about whip safety from my good friend Rapacious

"Hey james, yes, you are right about some of the crackers. The ones that are braided into the leather such as signal whips cause me the most concern. Those crackers cannot be readily changed. If a Dom is using one of these whips on a submissive and he is making fair contact he is causeing the skin to weep and thus the cracker becomes contaminated with that persons fluids. There are several cleaners on the market, but I believe that getting bacteria or viruses out of a cracker is like trying to get soap out of a sponge, nearly impossible, but again that is my humble opinion. The only sure way of knowing that you are not transmitting anything from one sub to another is to change the cracker. On any type of bullwhip or single tail that has a fall, that is a very easy procedure to perform. However, the woven cracker presents a problem. Those whips that I use that have woven crackers, I just fold the cracker back on itself and tie it down with dental floss forming a small loop at the end of the whip. There I loop a cracker in the loop and have a fresh cracker. When I use that on someone, I just cut the used cracker off and put another one on. Some have said that the loop will cause an inaccuracy with the whip. Perhaps, but I have not noticed any difference in the action of the whip. The difference that I do notice is my peace of mind knowing that I am playing as safe as I can.............Fond regards alway....Rap"

For canes, I would suggest you you guys direct purchases or questions to my friend WhypDancer at www.canes4pain.com
She does the best, and prettiest, canes I've ever seen :D

James G 5 said:
I'm back :D

Here're the promised comments about whip safety from my good friend Rapacious

"Hey james, yes, you are right about some of the crackers. The ones that are braided into the leather such as signal whips cause me the most concern. Those crackers cannot be readily changed. If a Dom is using one of these whips on a submissive and he is making fair contact he is causeing the skin to weep and thus the cracker becomes contaminated with that persons fluids. There are several cleaners on the market, but I believe that getting bacteria or viruses out of a cracker is like trying to get soap out of a sponge, nearly impossible, but again that is my humble opinion. The only sure way of knowing that you are not transmitting anything from one sub to another is to change the cracker. On any type of bullwhip or single tail that has a fall, that is a very easy procedure to perform. However, the woven cracker presents a problem. Those whips that I use that have woven crackers, I just fold the cracker back on itself and tie it down with dental floss forming a small loop at the end of the whip. There I loop a cracker in the loop and have a fresh cracker. When I use that on someone, I just cut the used cracker off and put another one on. Some have said that the loop will cause an inaccuracy with the whip. Perhaps, but I have not noticed any difference in the action of the whip. The difference that I do notice is my peace of mind knowing that I am playing as safe as I can.............Fond regards alway....Rap"

For canes, I would suggest you you guys direct purchases or questions to my friend WhypDancer at www.canes4pain.com
She does the best, and prettiest, canes I've ever seen :D

thanks so much :)

Canes vs Single tails

Sometimes a long (3 foot) and whippy light cane (with a subtely weighted end) can cause maximum pain but inflect less bruising damage than a heavier instrument.

With a cane, to swing from the wrist can be as effect as swinging with the arm...

Unless you want to leave stripes.

The cane is better for the back of the thighs.

A crop is better for the front.

I've not had much experience with a single tail. But my limited experience tells me it can be quite severe.

A properly in between dressage whip can be a nice comprmise,

Re: Canes vs Single tails

Peter2002 said:
Sometimes a long (3 foot) and whippy light cane (with a subtely weighted end) can cause maximum pain but inflect less bruising damage than a heavier instrument.

With a cane, to swing from the wrist can be as effect as swinging with the arm...

Unless you want to leave stripes.

The cane is better for the back of the thighs.

A crop is better for the front.

I've not had much experience with a single tail. But my limited experience tells me it can be quite severe.

A properly in between dressage whip can be a nice comprmise,

I like the stripes a cane leaves on da butt!

Re: Canes vs Single tails

Peter2002 said:
... With a cane, to swing from the wrist can be as effect as swinging with the arm...

Unless you want to leave stripes ...
Play much raquetball do we?
icon_twisted.gif

Man after my own heart.

Back