Chain Story - Bathtubs and Broomsticks

I finished my chapter. Please read it over for proofing and content. I've added a bit near the beginning, about Lucy's outfit for the interview. I'll read the prologue this evening.

I've added some comments on the story as well. For some reason I had to work with μ symbols before or after the text I wanted to comment on. I'm "RB".

I'll start thinking about how I want to tackle chapter 2. Very excited about this!

I wondered what was up with the μ symbols. (Saw the comments before spotting this post.)

I've added some comments on the story as well. For some reason I had to work with μ symbols before or after the text I wanted to comment on. I'm "RB".

I'll start thinking about how I want to tackle chapter 2. Very excited about this!
Thanks for the comments. Read and commented upon. Some accepted; some not. Did you like it as a lead in to what you're planning?

I've started writing my chapter, about Mariska. Does anyone have a problem with me renaming her Millarca? A slight shout-out to Sheridan LeFanu and the vampire genre.

I've started writing my chapter, about Mariska. Does anyone have a problem with me renaming her Millarca? A slight shout-out to Sheridan LeFanu and the vampire genre.
I don't know the referent, but I find Mariska sounds sexy while Millarca sounds too much like malarkey to turn me on.

Millarca is the name the lesbian vampire character uses in LeFanu's story "Carmilla", which was one of the big inspirations for Bram Stoker's "Dracula".

Personally I don't think Mariska sounds sexy. Perhaps because I've known too many women called Mariska.

Interesting. Malarkey is a good Irish term for bullshit. The name Millarca wouldn't have impressed Stoker. I've never met a Mariska. Please send one my way.

1.2k words into my chapter. Millarca is taking on shape, plus the first hints of something more ephemeral...

It doesn't much bother me. I will say that Mariska sounds like 'frisky'. Probably subliminally better for the stroke crowd. What say Alina?

You could potentially make a play for both names. Millarca her real name, Mariska her stage name.

Or use Carmilla's original name, Mircalla, which would satisfy the reference and doesn't read as close to malarkey.

You could potentially make a play for both names. Millarca her real name, Mariska her stage name.

Or use Carmilla's original name, Mircalla, which would satisfy the reference and doesn't read as close to malarkey.
Wait, have I had it wrong in my head for the past 30 years?!

Wait, have I had it wrong in my head for the past 30 years?!
Google says she used Millarca as well. All of her names are anagrams of Mircalla, according to Google. I've not read it, so this is off a five second half awake search.

Time to dig out my copy of "In A Glass Darkly", I guess.

But rereading "Carmilla" is no hardship. It got me through a few cold and lonely nights in uni.

The General explains that Carmilla is also Millarca, both anagrams for the original name of the vampire Mircalla, Countess Karnstein. <- what Google told me.

Neither are Hungarian names, although Mila and Milla are.
I have a slight preference for Mircalla over Millarca, I guess.
The funny thing is, every time I write Mariska, I panic over whether that was really the name I suggested originally, or whether my brain is being weird.

And all the names could be seen as anagrams of "mal clair," which can have many allusions, such as clearly evil, or evil (moon)light (from clair de lune)

Back