Companion to the Five in Five

:)thanks El, for the welcome and the port. i have a question about the 5/5. i would guess that we can do whatever we want with a poem after it's been put on the thread. can we use a poem that has already been submitted to Lit.
likewise, can we submit poems from the thread?

Yes, to all these. :rose:

It is probably timely also to mention the `10 lines and 50 words' rule for the thread. :)

Quite agree. I like your range: from whimsical to playfully sincere; it's a breath of fresh air. No one else can move quite so effortlessly within those different modes.
It's called "lack of focus." ;)

It is probably timely also to mention the `10 lines and 50 words' rule for the thread. :)
Dammit. I always forget that rule. I'll go back and fix the fuck-ups later this evening.

Um, do I still get some port? I can skip the cigar, if need be.

Oh, and welcome, Sassy. Nice to have your company.

Tzara, #3 blows me away. Prometheus in chains......that is pure gold:)

Dora, your latest five are so beautiful. They really touched me and I'm incredibly impressed. Your work keeps unfolding.
Thank you for sharing. I can't imagine not having read them. :rose:

:heart: :heart: :heart:

:heart: PG :heart:

:heart: :heart: :heart:

Did I mention that I :heart: your stuff, PG? I know, I know, not useful commentary if I'm not giving specifics, but, hey, I'm blown away. Gimme a break :D

Thank you very very very much, Bluebell and Homburg for reading them. I sometimes wonder if my writing is too sappy or morose so much so that people avoid my poems by droves or something. haha.

:rose::rose::rose::rose:

Thank you for the encouragement. It means more than you could know.

PG — I’ve just reread your entire 5/5 and have to agree with Homburg and bluebell7 that it is a great set of poems with a real variation in tone and mood throughout. I was also struck by the theme of infinity that runs throughout — the “laid out eight” — that unifies a few of the poems. I particularly like the way, in the first poem, that the double-ended infinity of the number line gets used and then meets up, presumably on the other side of the world, the two arrows meeting in a kind of kiss. It’s a great image. The sassyness of the shopping walk, done as a musical, in the fourth poem, is also great, and seems to recall Breakfast at Tiffany’s. The third poem is a real flash of tiger teeth and balances the upbeat mood of the others very well.

Believe me, many people are reading your poems and loving what they read.

So —

Treat yourself, you’ve earned it! The cigars are on the mantelpiece, the decanter of port is underneath the bed (don’t ask!) and just relax and enjoy the view of the sea. They say it represents eternity.

Last edited:
Thank you Eluard; yes, the concept of lasting and forever has been up in my nose lately. That whole idealist vs. realist thing keeps playing tug of war with me. I appreciate your encouragement. Thank you for putting up with my insecurity.

The idea of reaching under your bed, Eluard, is a little thrilling. I think I'm blushing from the thought. :eek::D

Thank you Eluard; yes, the concept of lasting and forever has been up in my nose lately. That whole idealist vs. realist thing keeps playing tug of war with me. I appreciate your encouragement. Thank you for putting up with my insecurity.

The idea of reaching under your bed, Eluard, is a little thrilling. I think I'm blushing from the thought. :eek::D

*pinches cheek* You bespectacled grad student-types are so charmingly coy!

*slides turquoise lace thong down thighs and kicks under bed as a present, then straightens conservative linen skirt and pushes glasses back up nose, standing with port*

*stammers* ahhh, ahhh <gulp> "Why Miss Carstairs!"

*then thinking quickly*

"you know I'm sure there's a lot of other good stuff under that bed — why not take a look? No, you'll have to get lower. Yup, it's further under."

Last edited:
*enters room with hands over eyes, peeking between fingers*

PG, i feel like i'm interrupting here :eek:
just wanted to tell you, a lot more people read your work than you think. you should start submitting poems again. you'd see how admired your work is.
ok, that's all i wanted to say. El, you can come back in now :)

i'm leaving a fresh bottle of port and a new case of cigars on the mantle.
you crazy kids have fun ;)

*non-chalantly presses record on hidden camera as i exit*

Well, while this is all being put on tape — and I can see that little red light behind the mirror — I will give an impromptu lecture, titled:

Insignificant Historical Tidbit.

The infinity symbol — the laid down eight — was invented by one John Wallis (1616–1703), an English mathematician who wrote a nice book called the Arithmetic of the Infinite. He was the chief geometer of the age, teaching at Oxford as the Savilian Professor. He lived a second life as the chief cryptanalyst (codebreaker) of Charles II. He could spend days trying to crack a code and would not give up until he had done so. He was the best codebreaker in Europe, so good that Leibniz was hired to try to lure him away with the offer of significant loot. But Wallis was incorruptable.

Maybe, it's significant after all, but in it's own insignificant way…

. . .

*smoking cigar*

Interesting, Eluard. What a font of . . . information you are! :D

Sassy, you are very encouraging. And naughty. All good things. :kiss:

Y'all are crackin' me UP in here.

And yes, I am watching.

Pandora, they're right about you. And I do love a woman who can smoke a cigar.

And I personally have left a very nice pair of Manolo Blahniks in your size under the bed. Wayyyyyyyy under.

bj

first-rate poetry, Mr. Bill.
Merci beaucoup, mon professeur. Duh. It ain't like you am'nt spiritational. Nice poem yurself. I is jealous of your subject. :)
And when the crumpled post card I did send
With hope: Business Reply envelope sent,
I dreamt of meeting Mr. Ed McMahon
And TV cameras, pâté, no more Lent.

Last edited:
Pandora, they're right about you. And I do love a woman who can smoke a cigar.

And I personally have left a very nice pair of Manolo Blahniks in your size under the bed. Wayyyyyyyy under.

bj

Hey no fair using those Manolo Blahniks — those things are like catnip. *Or maybe crack cocaine for the Sex and the City generation*

There isn't a woman born who can resist those things.

Back