Critics' Recommendation Award

I think KM has a good idea going. My only question...what's the difference between critics and judges or am I just half asleep here?

I'd be willing to act as chair for round two if no one else wants the job.

The critics are the people who nominate a story or stories.

The judges are the ones who vote on it.

The chair is the one who doesn't nominate, votes if necessary (judge withdraws or tie-breaker), and tabulates all the votes up.

Three judges make it easier for the chair to tabulate votes, only three, and since there are only three, it's a lot simpler to get them all in by the deadline.

The judges not nominating stories makes it more difficult to play favorites.

The critics pool will--hopefully--be large and since they only nominate stories, they will--hopefully--go out and find a good round of stories for the judges to read. It's a lot easier if you know that you don't have to read tons of stories to find good ones.

Since the judges and the chair rotates, this keeps things from being too burdensome as well as promotes fairness. The pool of critics will probably remain mostly the same but it'll let people flow in and out.

I liked the weighted voting system, myself.

This was a really good test run, I think. :)

I've really only got one question?

Why is there a need for this award, especially it you're planing on giving one out every week? Not that I expect to ever aspire to getting it, as critics, and judges are made up of people, and people are fallible no matter what level of integrity they live by. Take a live poetry slam which is judged, and you will understand what I mean. Often the best poem loses, and for many different reasons, but all of them because of the human factor. People see the participants, the participants may or may not be entertaining in their presentation, and the poems get lost in the lack of integrity there of.

As Always
I Am the
Dirt Man

Need doesn't define most of what human beings do these days. I don't see why it should.

Re: I've really only got one question?

Dirt Man said:
Why is there a need for this award, especially it you're planing on giving one out every week? Not that I expect to ever aspire to getting it, as critics, and judges are made up of people, and people are fallible no matter what level of integrity they live by. Take a live poetry slam which is judged, and you will understand what I mean. Often the best poem loses, and for many different reasons, but all of them because of the human factor. People see the participants, the participants may or may not be entertaining in their presentation, and the poems get lost in the lack of integrity there of.

As Always
I Am the
Dirt Man

If we did want to do one a week, then I think that there should be a story cap. It's very hard to ask the three judges to read say 30 stories in a week.

I also like the weighted voting system

So...did anyone else want chair for round two or am I it?

I don't think we've gotten that far, dn. Weekly? Shway way too much. Monthly is more my speed. Bi-weekly at most.

KillerMuffin said:
I don't think we've gotten that far, dn. Weekly? Shway way too much. Monthly is more my speed. Bi-weekly at most.

I agree that monthly is probably the most realistic. Dirtman was the one who originally brought up weekly. And I think perhaps calendar month would be the best option. IE...you can start submitting stories on the first, submissions close on the 10th, and critics have to have their votes in by the 25, results posted by the 30th (of course, that's a completely general guideline).

I do still think there should be a story cap...as in no more that 10 stories should be submitted per round. Also, if a story has been up for the award before, it should not be allowed to be resubmitted.

Back