Democrat party ideas...

bill-pix-trade said:
I did not know you went there. My best friend went to grad school there. He got his MBA there. My uncle was a Professor there as well.

Yep, BSEE '82. I went for my Masters in International Affairs, but got married and had kids before I could complete my thesis. Oh well.

What school was your uncle a prof in?

Gringao said:
And, let's not forget, holding the proper political perspectives.

Thomas Sowell calls "diversity" ideological conformity hiding behind superficial differences. Oh, how true.
This was 1980.

I wanted to be an RA, and I was told by a gay friend in the dorm not to bother I did not stand a chance. I asked him why and he explained how it worked to me. He also said being a frat boy did not help my cause any either.

bill-pix-trade said:
I wanted to be an RA, and I was told by a gay friend in the dorm not to bother I did not stand a chance.

Timmy, do you know what prejudice is?

Drinking Cap said:
I know you did. But we had plenty of white guys as RA's in my time in the dorms. Something tells me that there was a period in which us white fellows went through a time in which we got turned down for things so as to make things slightly more representative of campus as a whole and now it's more or less even keel.
That is entirely possible. My brother went to UNH and had no issues, but he worked at the big dorm, with all the crazies. He they had to look for people to take those jobs at UMASS too.

bill-pix-trade said:
That is entirely possible. My brother went to UNH and had no issues, but he worked at the big dorm, with all the crazies. He they had to look for people to take those jobs at UMASS too.

And while I'm not in favour of quotas on a larger scale, I think it's probably good that dorm staff includes someone gay kids and girls can talk to about their specific issues.

Drinking Cap said:
Timmy, do you know what prejudice is?
I had openly gay friends in High School. A kid that lived up the street form me came out in 10th grade. I knew hims since kindergarten. It changed nothing. Well after my parents told me about a few of their friends. I was not some naive dips shit.

Gringao said:
Yep, BSEE '82. I went for my Masters in International Affairs, but got married and had kids before I could complete my thesis. Oh well.

What school was your uncle a prof in?
I would assume International Affairs was his school. Given his job prior to teaching. He died 1975/76 I don't remember.

Drinking Cap said:
And while I'm not in favour of quotas on a larger scale, I think it's probably good that dorm staff includes someone gay kids and girls can talk to about their specific issues.
I have no problem with that.

bill-pix-trade said:
I would assume International Affairs was his school. Given his job prior to teaching. He died 1975/76 I don't remember.

Oh, that was before my time there....I arrived in 1978 and started my IA degree after I got back from Brazil...around 1988 or so.

bill-pix-trade said:
I had openly gay friends in High School. A kid that lived up the street form me came out in 10th grade. I knew hims since kindergarten. It changed nothing. Well after my parents told me about a few of their friends. I was not some naive dips shit.

No, that was just a stupid reference to this commercial from the Mormons that ran constantly when I was a kid. It was a kid asking his grandpa what prejudice was, his grandpa asking him why, the kid saying because his jewish friend had called him prejudice and grandpa responding with "well that's what prejudice is, that you think of him as your jewish friend and not just your friend."

I make bad 80's pop culture references. Sue me.

Gringao said:
Oh, that was before my time there....I arrived in 1978 and started my IA degree after I got back from Brazil...around 1988 or so.
He was a somewhat controversial person.

bill-pix-trade said:
I have no problem with that.

Honestly, as a student, who's been a college student in the last 25 years and has spent significant amount of time on US campuses, I think you and Cap'n Hyperbole up there might be exaggerating by just a little.

Drinking Cap said:
No, that was just a stupid reference to this commercial from the Mormons that ran constantly when I was a kid. It was a kid asking his grandpa what prejudice was, his grandpa asking him why, the kid saying because his jewish friend had called him prejudice and grandpa responding with "well that's what prejudice is, that you think of him as your jewish friend and not just your friend."

I make bad 80's pop culture references. Sue me.
No biggy

I used the term gay because it was germane to the story.

The dude was also my adviser, and knew his way around the system big time.

bill-pix-trade said:
No biggy

I used the term gay because it was germane to the story.

The dude was also my adviser, and knew his way around the system big time.

Just so I know in the context of the story, did you take this guy's word for it or did you actually apply and get turned down?

Drinking Cap said:
Honestly, as a student, who's been a college student in the last 25 years and has spent significant amount of time on US campuses, I think you and Cap'n Hyperbole up there might be exaggerating by just a little.
A little but not much.

Hell the school I graduated from has a 10 second policy. Look at a girl for 10 seconds or more and she can bring you up on sexual harassment charges.

bill-pix-trade said:
A little but not much.

Hell the school I graduated from has a 10 second policy. Look at a girl for 10 seconds or more and she can bring you up on sexual harassment charges.

Well, and you'll forgive me if this shows me to be ignorant of American universities, but maybe the big public Massachusetts university isn't entirely indicative of American universities as a whole?

Also, in all fairness, if you're looking at a girl for longer than 10 seconds you're probably well past the good taste barrier.

Power to the people

I think both parties suck. Partisan bickering has become a full-time distraction instead of doing their real job of moving this country forward in the best interest of the people. Show me a Dem - or heck, even a Rep for that matter - that is willing to vote for term limits, put Congress on the Social Security retirement plan like real people, and have the balls to stand up to lobby groups, tackle healthcare, education, poverty, and the economy with practical solutions that are enforcible, and perhaps I'd actually cast a vote.

Plasmaball said:
Fiengold is shaping up to be a good person

Fiengold is trying to make a name for himself by appealing to the revisionists who are a bit deluded (lets censure the president for daring to try to intercept our enemy's communications to the US). If I were one of the more shrill pundits, I'd say he is representing the aluminum hat crowd well.

Drinking Cap said:
Well, and you'll forgive me if this shows me to be ignorant of American universities, but maybe the big public Massachusetts university isn't entirely indicative of American universities as a whole?

Also, in all fairness, if you're looking at a girl for longer than 10 seconds you're probably well past the good taste barrier.
UMASS was not the school I graduated from.

There is no law that I know about stating one has to have good taste.

LovetoGiveRoses said:
Fiengold is trying to make a name for himself by appealing to the revisionists who are a bit deluded (lets censure the president for daring to try to intercept our enemy's communications to the US). If I were one of the more shrill pundits, I'd say he is representing the aluminum hat crowd well.

I saw Rusty on the boob tube earlier, trying to explain himself. He looked like Wile E. Coyote just after the outcropping of rock had fallen away from the mountain, but before he had started to plummet to earth. He's all alone...

FairyOMother said:
I think both parties suck. Partisan bickering has become a full-time distraction instead of doing their real job of moving this country forward in the best interest of the people. Show me a Dem - or heck, even a Rep for that matter - that is willing to vote for term limits, put Congress on the Social Security retirement plan like real people, and have the balls to stand up to lobby groups, tackle healthcare, education, poverty, and the economy with practical solutions that are enforcible, and perhaps I'd actually cast a vote.
I agree with this.

However, term limits are a constitutional issue. Congress does not vote on thing like this.

bill-pix-trade said:
There is no law that I know about stating one has to have good taste.

You miss the point - it's all about pushing people around to suit one's taste. Liberals don't care what anyone does, Bill, so long as it's compulsory.

LovetoGiveRoses said:
It does apear taht way. He is a yahoo.

Back