Descriptions Exercise

What was David’s appeal? David never quite “got it” when it came to looks, clothes or dealing with people. “Dealing with people” is a bit general. David was quite good at dealing with the ladies, once they got beyond the wrinkled, disheveled look. His calm, quite manner disguised an ability to leave women quite satisfied. Not even the women who slept with him more than once could determine exactly what gave him the uncanny ability to satisfy them, because his actions were never quite the same every time. His secret? David had an incredible ability at reading body language and knowing how a woman was reacting to his touch, his kiss. That, along with an ability to submerge his own ego and concentrate on her. Providing her pleasure was the important thing. His own pleasure was an afterthought.

Seeing him standing in the courthouse hallway I wonder where it had all gone so terribly wrong. The moment I had first laid eyes on him I knew that he was "Mr. Right," "The Man of My Dreams," and all those other old cliches.

Any casual observer could see that he had a quiet demeaner. His uncontrollable hair and lack of any real style evidenced the fact that he was comfortable with himself. I found his cool confidence sensual.

His stance and silent strength drew me to him immediately. The first time he placed his steely hand on the small of my back I felt protected. The fire in his eyes when he gazed at me intently made me feel loved and wanted.

I was pleasantly surprised the first time he made love to me. While he was generous and patient, there was also raw animal lust inside of him.

His sense of humor endeared him to everyone he met. My family commended me for finally meeting someone worthy. Children loved him for his own childlike qualities.

Then suddenly, without any forewarning, he became a different person. His steely hands, the ones that had made me feel so protected, had turned violent. The fire in his eyes extinguished, becoming cold and calculated. I cringe at the memory of his actions. Touching my finger to the tiny scar at the corner of my eye I can still feel the pain.

I am resolute that no one would believe such evil of this man, especially not the judge. I have decided to keep these events secret from everyone and take the blame of this divorce on myself.

I think that there are different reasons that looks can be deceiving. That is why I have written this particular description

I figure it's only fair for me to write before I read.

IT always makes a valiant attempt to clean up for the office Chrismas party, but their badly fitting suits and toddler hair mark their essential disinterest in appearance and the indoor-outdoor lenses are always a dead giveaway. Judging by his smug expression and the carefully casual statement of his clasped hands I figured Jenkins was trying to impress management with his suitability for some kind of promotion. Not a bad looking man but not good looking enough to either unduly charm or threaten his female superior. At least not in a dress shirt that looked as if it were choking him. He looked vaguely toady….or perhaps it was only because I knew who he’d be kissing up to once the bar opened.

122 words but I don't know how descriptive it really is.

bridgeburner said:

122 words but I don't know how descriptive it really is.

At the risk of stealing the thread from the starter I'll just say Bridge, that the most interesting descriptions of characters rarely say much about what they look like, as per Ice's instance of 'creative' writing. They tell you how to look at the character rather than what the character looks like.

Gauche

Back