Do You Care If Your Elected Officials Cheat on Their Wives?

With power comes pussy. That's just a fact of life. There was a time when the press would look the other way. The days of that are gone with Bloggerhood.

So if you run for office I won't vote for you. Are you running for office?

You can be a lawyer or collect stamps or be a dominatrix. Those are cool.

Ooooo thanks for the little person pass. I'm sooooo happy I'm allowed because you don't think my job mattered.

Go fuck yourself on behalf of my entire clientele who were MD's teachers and pilots.

Last edited:
If he was so damn enlightned he'd have been a contemporary American. Yep.

How hard is family fidelity to comprehend? This is not like rocket science where you need a grip on unavailable technologies and higher learning.

This is raising kids and keeping vows.

Go fuck yourself on behalf of my entire clientele who were MD's teachers and pilots.

And I'm lost as to why that matters unless you or any of them were running for office and I was asked to provide a vote on their capacity to keep promises.

I'm not judging their ability to give in to temptation. I'm judging their inability to fess up to it and deal with it like a responsible grownup who admits when they can't keep their promises.

Fine. Give in to that temptation AFTER you've admitted you're incapable of NOT giving into it.

Your analogy is severely lacking in logic.

Nobody else pays any price if I have a piece of cake.

I'm not judging their ability to give in to temptation. I'm judging their inability to fess up to it and deal with it like a responsible grownup who admits when they can't keep their promises.

Fine. Give in to that temptation AFTER you've admitted you're incapable of NOT giving into it.

I wouldn't say that. Read the weight thread. Evidently the entirety of American society pays if I have a piece of cake. Fat people being a burden to society and all that.

I wouldn't say that. Read the weight thread. Evidently the entirety of American society pays if I have a piece of cake. Fat people being a burden to society and all that.

Oh for goodness sake, don't bring in someone else's bullshit logic that you know is bullshit.

Oh for goodness sake, don't bring in someone else's bullshit logic that you know is bullshit.

Well I saw a lot of bullshit in it. However an overwhelming amount of people don't. Opinions and assholes and all that.

If my analogy is lacking in logic, so is yours. I think what you're saying is a bullshit slippery slope argument that only views things in black and white and doesn't acknowledge any of the various shades of gray that inevitably color all types of human interaction.

But if you think you know it all, then more power to you. I'll just slog along here with the less enlightened and take each day as it comes and not view everything in absolutes. You've got it all figured out, I suppose. That's nice.

If you believe what people say every time a fat thread comes up here, though, then you ARE hurting others when you succumb to temptation and eat cake or whatever. The party line there is that others' insurance rates go up to deal with your fat-assedness, and if you die early from being a fat ass, then what are your kids and family gonna do?

I think one is just as ridiculous as the other, but I'm inclined to agree with Netz at this point. I'm done.

Well I saw a lot of bullshit in it. However an overwhelming amount of people don't. Opinions and assholes and all that.

I've seen the phenomena of which you speak where someone feels people are being fat "at" them somehow.

But I find that amusing. Sick and sad and all that, but amusing.

At least that idea didn't come out of MY brain.

I've seen the phenomena of which you speak where someone feels people are being fat "at" them somehow.

But I find that amusing. Sick and sad and all that, but amusing.

At least that idea didn't come out of MY brain.

Well I appreciate that it didn't come from you. As a fat chick myself I don't tend to find it amusing. Not when on average fat people earn less than thin people, have a harder time finding work, and in some cases are mercilessly bullied. To the point of very bad things coming from it.

If my analogy is lacking in logic, so is yours. I think what you're saying is a bullshit slippery slope argument that only views things in black and white and doesn't acknowledge any of the various shades of gray that inevitably color all types of human interaction.

But if you think you know it all, then more power to you. I'll just slog along here with the less enlightened and take each day as it comes and not view everything in absolutes. You've got it all figured out, I suppose. That's nice.

If you believe what people say every time a fat thread comes up here, though, then you ARE hurting others when you succumb to temptation and eat cake or whatever. The party line there is that others' insurance rates go up to deal with your fat-assedness, and if you die early from being a fat ass, then what are your kids and family gonna do?

I think one is just as ridiculous as the other, but I'm inclined to agree with Netz at this point. I'm done.

No, it's not slippery slope. It's a one for one correlation of a demonstrated inability to honor publicly determined social contracts.

Slippery slope is a fallacy and I despise it as an argument. I'd totally smack myself if I used it.

The correlation to being fat has no bearing here.

Nobody makes a legally sanctioned public commitment to being thin from which they gain social approval and privileges. Nor do they tie another person to a vow to be thin that is legally actionable if they're not.

Although that diet person sneaking out for twinkies and beer gets close.

Eating cake is not doing one thing and saying another. It's doing something.

Well I appreciate that it didn't come from you. As a fat chick myself I don't tend to find it amusing. Not when on average fat people earn less than thin people, have a harder time finding work, and in some cases are mercilessly bullied. To the point of very bad things coming from it.

Well, that belongs on a separate thread and I don't at all see a correlation in logic or legal precedent.

Nobody gets nailed in a tricky divorce because of a cake-eating incident.

Unless there's a really messed up prenup.

Stirring the pot today, ITW? ;)

It has been a boring board all week, thanks for shaking things up.

I was thinking it wouldn't really catch on. You never know.

Anyway, I admit I don't actually always say never trust a lawyer. I say never fuck a lawyer and, in fact, have it printed on a t-shirt that I always wear. Hey, I just want to be clear. I am serious about fidelity.

I can't help wondering how the public would react if they discovered a major political figure called his wife a slave, lashed her with whips and paddles, tied her up, put a collar around her neck, punctured her skin with needles, or any of the many, many things we all think are just a matter of personal preference.

I'm picturing the arguments now...

"If he can treat his wife like that, someone he vowed to love and honour, how can he be trusted?!"

The outrage and disgust would be off the charts, regardless of what the wife might say.

Shades of grey. Perspective.

What happens in a marriage is between the married couple. If a leader is doing his job and doing it well, that is what concerns me most. This doesn't mean I'd turn a blind eye to everything, just that I'd judge every perceived moral transgression on an individual basis.
But you've not explained why mine was.
Intolerance for alternative, consensual sexual practices is not comparable to intolerance for "moral transgression."

The suggestion that the same "shades of grey" apply is offensive.

I'm not trying to be a cunt here. I'm seriously wondering if people judge others by their natural willpower in the face of temptation.

For leadership positions, you bet. Power over people's lives presents a fuckton of temptation.

For that matter, there are any number of positions where the ability to have willpower in the face of temptation is kind of crucial.

We're not talking about electing dog catchers here. There are qualifications that should be met and standards that we should be trying to uphold.

I was thinking it wouldn't really catch on. You never know.

Anyway, I admit I don't actually always say never trust a lawyer. I say never fuck a lawyer and, in fact, have it printed on a t-shirt that I always wear. Hey, I just want to be clear. I am serious about fidelity.

I'm serious about fidelity. Don't really have an opinion on individual lawyerly ethics, but I do like silly jokes that should be taken that way.

Intolerance for alternative, consensual sexual practices is not comparable to intolerance for "moral transgression."

The suggestion that the same "shades of grey" apply is offensive.

It's the whole opinions and asshole thing again. Plenty of people will tell you that our alternative sexual practices are immoral. Believe me I've heard it from my own family. I'm sure we've all heard it from a variety of people.

Back