Domme... the wrong word...

MastrJ said:
Dominatrix has a older root. The -trix ending was used in Latin to differentiate between genders. You spoke of a Gladiator or a Gladiatrix. One thing that English speakers seem to forget is that most other European languages have specific gender classes for their words. Older forms of English had them as well. The difference is that the English language dropped gender-based definitive articles a long time ago, but we still conceive of words needing a gender-based differentiation.

Excellent point, and this is another of those areas where a lot of Europeans are upset with the idea of American cultural plague disrupting their cultures...they like their gender identification LOL
This idea that there's something wrong or odd in differentiating is a relatively weird new idea based on our relatively weird new hodge podge language

Wow...This is PC in the extreme. Actor? Domme? Offensive? Hell, my Domme doesn't even find that offensive.

Psstt...Men and Women are different.

angela146 said:
I actually used the term fiance (pronounced fee-ANSE) before we were married to refer to my intended. I can't count the number of times I had to explain that it was the masculine form of financee.
I'm a little confused. Do you mean you deliberately altered the pronunciation of the word "fiancé" just to confuse people? The words fiancé and fiancée are pronounced exactly the same way: fee-on-SAY. They're French.

Etoile said:
I'm a little confused. Do you mean you deliberately altered the pronunciation of the word "fiancé" just to confuse people? The words fiancé and fiancée are pronounced exactly the same way: fee-on-SAY. They're French.
Oops!

Good grief, Charlie Brown!

No, not deliberately, apparently mistakenly!

I just looked it up in a couple of American dictionaries (wondering if it was American dialect variant) and, in fact, "standard American" shows both pronounced the same way (either fee-on-SAY or fee-ON-say acceptable for both).

So, this is another one of those things that my mother always told me that turned out to be complete nonsense.

Wow, I owe a whole bunch of people an apology.

Thank you, Etoile! I will, from now on, refrain from being stupid on this particular issue!

But with european languages came the whole freaked out (french) debate on language and genderization...it kind of makes sense when in your culture everything but everything is male OR female, from a museum to an orange to a microphone.

A debate on the annoying nature of the invented word "Domme" with my boy in full on agreement made me observe

"It's like Masterette." (me, spoken with total derision)

A pause.

"Well, fuck, I like that. Masterette. That's me."

As for why the GLBT community has to have more flavors than "gay" and confuse everyone...well if you aren't in the mix or if you're included in the mix it probably doesn't bug you to be invisible and not have a word for you.

As for "womyn" "wimmin" and other aberrrations...bleah. Not for the idea, for the lameness of the opposition, like, how weak.

If I want to differentiate I'd rather call myself a gaping existential slit.

But that's me.

(Yes, I'm Mistress or Domina if a title becomes totally an issue. I answer to Miss Ma'am Madam and Sir.)

lost the plot

Now I think this thread has lost its origional plot hasnt it?

As for pain/ pleasure, I have used electrotorture on a friend and also stinging insects ( ants ) and riding whip on her clit and she found it sooo good but wants to go furthur but am wary to do so myself... so far,hehe

has anybodyelse had or used this sort of thing

by webster?

But... if the implication is that a domme is a woman or man in a prissy little dress (June Cleaver with a whip) ... OK, I'll go along with that because it's a femme "playing" at being dominant
==========
==========

ok, ok, ok, ........YOU are entitled to your own viewpoint, so i am not attacking....
but in my own views?.......domme does indicate, for me, gender..
dom=male, domme=female,....
and in my life here, with MY Ma'am,....there is NO playing anything,.
this is a 24/7/365 domme/slave...She is my Mistress......and yes, She is a pro also,......vs them whom do it for fun and free...
june cleavor?.....hmmmmm
i never thought much about her really,....but now,..i look at gals like Mae West.......oh my legs go to liquid butter,......
pant pant ruff ruff....
oh i'm sorry.....male genes there for a bit,...lol
but yes,...i see it all as gender so some folks, like me,.....know what i am talking about...
verbally,......it is dom and dom-may.....or dom meeee
or some such other......

thank you
lizzie

angela146 - a little bit provocative, but still, hey - do you have some self-confidence to stand up as woman, or you need to hide after mens or simply other peoples, can't standing the fact that you are a woman? :rolleyes:
I jsut don't get it. Into most cases are important to know the genre. In most cases its obvious from the first look, so why being ashamed for it? :rolleyes:
What about being proud of the fact, being woman???

...it certaingly require some self-confidence, but thats what it is all about :)

Re: by webster?

lizzie anne said:
and in my life here, with MY Ma'am,....there is NO playing anything,.
this is a 24/7/365 domme/slave...She is my Mistress......and yes, She is a pro also,......vs them whom do it for fun and free...
I'm curious, do you see professionals as more dominant than non-professionals? That's the impression I got from your "fun and free" comment.
verbally,......it is dom and dom-may.....or dom meeee
or some such other......
Another instance (like fiancé) of a different pronunciation that is, in my French-speaking view, incorrect. "Domme" is an extension of "dom" following French patterns of feminizing suffixes. Without using IPA characters I can't exactly duplicate it here, but I pronounce "dom" as "domm" and "domme" as "dumm" - that is, I use the Americanized pronunciation for "dom" but a more French-like pronunciation for "domme."

I always liked the word dominatrix (then again, I'm a sub) - I just think it sounds cool. And a little scary. FYI, in legalese, the -trix ending is still used - i.e. a woman can be an executix, where a man is an executor. Another fyi - the plural of dominatrix is dominatrices. Cool, huh?

My lover got voted the woman most likely to become a dominatrix at her school. Catholic schools, huh?

Voted by whom, the students or the other teachers??? We always thought that New Zealand was a quiet little place LOL.

For the record, I agree with etoile, if using french words, we should attempt to pronounce & use them correctly. I think it's a beautiful language to listen to.

names?

personally only........"i" like domme and hate mistress/master..

those are fine for fairy tale names........not real life.
i am an old fogey.....
mistress is what you have besides your wife.....

master is the head of a professional business.....

domme?......now THERE i relate to the lifestyle!!!!

but its only.......my......idea.
lizzie:)

Re: Re: Re: Domme... the wrong word...

angela146 said:
"Dome/me" seems even worse.

"Oh, well, I suppose women can be dominant too... well here, darling, we'll add this little ending on the word for you so you won't feel left out. Of course, we all know you're a girl and not a real dom."

But... if the implication is that a domme is a woman or man in a prissy little dress (June Cleaver with a whip) ... OK, I'll go along with that because it's a femme "playing" at being dominant

As a Domme, I have no problems with the title (obviously). I can be dominant no matter what I am called, and I don't see it as a diminutive ... it is a word that has the meaning that you give it ... if you don't allow people to treat you as less of a dominant, then it isn't a problem. I don't "play" at being dominant, nor does my girlfriend, and we both have given ourselves the title of Domme.

As for "Dom/me" ... it's a contraction to make life on the net easier - like gf instead of typing the whole word, and it's the D/s equivalent of "he/she".

And I don't think it's just us ... but maybe it is.

Back