Favorite Christmas movies

The Muppet Christmas Carol doesn't get enough respect. Michael Caine's decision to play Scrooge totally straight was brilliant.

From IMDB:
Before production began, Sir Michael Caine told producer and director Brian Henson, "I'm going to play this movie like I'm working with the Royal Shakespeare Company. I will never wink, I will never do anything Muppety. I am going to play Scrooge as if it is an utterly dramatic role, and there are no puppets around me." Henson replied "Yes, bang on!"

What are your favorite Christmas movies? A few of mine:

A Christmas Carol, the old one with Alistair Sim
Die Hard (yes, it's a Christmas movie)
Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (my favorite character is Herbie, the elf who wants to be a dentist)
Elf -- goofball movie but it sticks out for me among recent Christmas movies
Bob Clark's "Black Christmas"...

The original 'Miracle on 34th Street'
Die Hard
It's a Wonderful Life
A Charlie Brown Christmas.

1. A Christmas Carol (Reginald Owen version and George C. Scott version)
2. Christmas In Connecticut
3. It Happened On Fifth Avenue (a little obscure, maybe)
4. Remember the Night (another obscure one with Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray)
5. It's A Wonderful Life
6. The Shop Around the Corner
7. Holiday Affair (Robert Mitchum and Janet Leigh)

The third, fourth, and sixth may not be considered strictly Christmas movies, but they always seem to show up around the holidays on one channel or another, and all pretty much culminate around Christmastime, so they've become favorites of mine.

Speaking of obscure, there is also Ebbie with Susan Lucci.

Christmas Vacation.
Muppet Christmas Carol.
Scrooged. Bill Murray and Bobcat. LOL
Rudolph for nostalgia.
For some reason, the 1970 Christmas Carol's ghost of Christmas present sticks in my head. Don't know that I've ever seen the '51, but the '70 was on network television all the time when I was a lad.

Christmas Vacation
Love Actually
Miracle on 34th Street
A Christmas Carol
The Holiday
It's a Wonderful Life
Scrooge
White Christmas

The Nightmare Before Christmas. A classic story of an idle rich guy who, when exposed to another culture during a fit of ennui, decides that he can improve their customs by making them align with his own sense of aesthetics.

1. A Christmas Carol (Reginald Owen version and George C. Scott version)
2. Christmas In Connecticut
3. It Happened On Fifth Avenue (a little obscure, maybe)
4. Remember the Night (another obscure one with Barbara Stanwyck and Fred MacMurray)
5. It's A Wonderful Life
6. The Shop Around the Corner
7. Holiday Affair (Robert Mitchum and Janet Leigh)

The third, fourth, and sixth may not be considered strictly Christmas movies, but they always seem to show up around the holidays on one channel or another, and all pretty much culminate around Christmastime, so they've become favorites of mine.
Great Picks! To me Christmas Movies in Glorious Black and White were art, just amazing.

Violent Night

Normally I don't watch slasher flicks, and I abhor Christmas Slasher Flicks, but my sister bribed me into watching it and it was hilarious! Yes it was bloody and irreverent, but I haven't laughed so hard at a movie in ages. (I sincerely hope those laughs were intended by the producers) There's also a casting coup that alone had me chuckling through the entire movie. If you can watch a slasher flick, you have to see this one. I think it's on Prime.

Great Picks! To me Christmas Movies in Glorious Black and White were art, just amazing.
Yeah I'll take the old black and whites any day, in any genre, over most everything else. I used to watch TCM a lot, and when my kids were little, they'd refer to me as watching the black and white channel.

This is the perfect KeithD answer.

Happy holidays, Keith. I hope you are feeling better.
I spent most of my life overseas without access to American movies or English-language TV shows. Thus, although I worked on movies myself (The Deer Hunter, The Killing Fields, Good Morning, Vietnam, and Volunteers), movies and TV shows haven't really been much a part of my life.

I'm slowly feeling better (still on antibiotic infusions). Wondering what will hit me next.

I'm slowly feeling better (still on antibiotic infusions). Wondering what will hit me next.
I know the feeling, getting hit with one thing after another will cause PTSD. I remember my doc saying, "We just diagnosed chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension," and it never registered. One thing after another for two straight years caused the I Give A Shit circuit breaker to trip, next thing I know she's saying, "Mayo Clinic" and I had no idea why.

Hang in there guy.

I know the feeling, getting hit with one thing after another will cause PTSD. I remember my doc saying, "We just diagnosed chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension," and it never registered. One thing after another for two straight years caused the I Give A Shit circuit breaker to trip, next thing I know she's saying, "Mayo Clinic" and I had no idea why.

Hang in there guy.
In my case, I lead such a well-supported- and financed life at home with a wife who trained as a nurse and I'm a writer who can zip into other worlds in my imagination, so I'm well fixed to handle long convalescences--as long as I can do them at home.

The Guardian has just reminded me that Brazil is a Christmas movie of sorts. I'll go with that one.

A new Christmas movie this year is It’s a Wonderful Knife, a horror parody of It’s a Wonderful Life. I enjoyed its depiction of teen bisexual women vs serial killer action, but it may not earn critical acclaim in the long run.

Jingle All the Way and Bad Santa are similar low quality but still fun Christmas flicks imo.

• 1:00am – Little Women (1949)

Sometimes when I think about this story I think about the episode in Friends where Joey and Rachel are talking about books they like and she mentions Little Women, and he assumes it's a horror story and asks something like, "These little women . . . just how little are they?"

A new Christmas movie this year is It’s a Wonderful Knife, a horror parody of It’s a Wonderful Life. I enjoyed its depiction of teen bisexual women vs serial killer action, but it may not earn critical acclaim in the long run.

Jingle All the Way and Bad Santa are similar low quality but still fun Christmas flicks imo.

Reminds me of this great mock-trailer for the movie Elf as a horror-thriller.

Back