Foreshadowing?

I think it depends on if you have already planned your twist?

No, it doesn't at all actually.

I use foreshadowing often, particularly in a longer story. Most often I will be writing a scene and come up with some metaphoric idea, then realize that I should foreshadow it and go back earlier in the story and edit something in to do so. This vertical integration is the main reason that one really should never post chapters as they are written. You should always finish your whole story before you publish any chapters for it.

Keep your plot tight. Don't make it meander like some self-indulgent soap opera.

Nah, none of those characters were lovable. Not after the first season, anyway

I don't agree at all with that. The show had tons of, if not necessarily lovable, admirable characters that you grew attached to and had to watch die. In the very last season the show killed off some very decent and popular characters. I won't name them to avoid spoiling it for any of the few souls who haven't seen it but still might want to.

Foreshadowing requires much more effort than I'm normally willing to intentionally put into my erotica.

My non-erotica, however, tends to have a healthy dose of it.

Sometimes accidental foreshadowing happens, and it's awesome when it does, but I'm not writing murder mysteries or thrillers or anything long enough to really benefit from foreshadowing so, for me and my stories at least, adding it just for the sake of adding it feels cheap and forced rather than clever.

If I felt it improved the story or made a murky aspect clearer (and I wanted it clearer, I usually prefer murky) I would put in the effort. But unless the work is over 15k words (or part of a series), it's unlikely to impact the story enough to be worth the effort to me.

I'm a big fan of "playing the long game"...I make mention of many characters and situations that will come to fruition much, much later. For instance, I did the lead-up to a Xmas story that I knew I had to wait a year to write. I don't know if any readers notice or care (or if there's any payoff), but it's certainly fun for me. 😉 You can do pretty much whatever you want here, which is why I find it so entertaining.

I did it in 'Learning to Love Louise' as a way to foreshadow that one of the three main characters - Jane - is dead all along. Some clues of this was that she only interacts with Paul (the main male character), none of the other characters acknowledge her presence or speak to her, the clothes she is described as wearing are somewhat out of date and she seems to flash in and out of the story.

Back