Storytelling

Both of those issues (info dumping and verbosity) can be fixed with practice and time. Those are issues with technique, not with how you get the ideas. I often see the ideas in my head as scenes instead of whole stories as well.
Yeah, I am trying :)

First issue was long sentences. Fixed those over time. Now need to learn not to wafffffffffflllleee :)

So many good points are brought up and I wish I could engage properly with all of those. For now, I would point out one thing that stands out from everything I've seen here.

We all kinda agree that grammar and punctuation, sentence structure, having a clear style, etc. all fall into the second category - "writing well". Coming up with a good plot, interesting characters, and worldbuilding clearly falls into the first category - "storytelling". But I would say that pacing, exposition, timing, foreshadowing, and similar, are the parts where these two categories overlap? Like coming up with them is storytelling, but putting them into words and sentences is also in good part writing well? Feels like those two categories are very much intertwined in these elements... Or am I out of my mind here?

So many good points are brought up and I wish I could engage properly with all of those. For now, I would point out one thing that stands out from everything I've seen here.

We all kinda agree that grammar and punctuation, sentence structure, having a clear style, etc. all fall into the second category - "writing well". Coming up with a good plot, interesting characters, and worldbuilding clearly falls into the first category - "storytelling". But I would say that pacing, exposition, timing, foreshadowing, and similar, are the parts where these two categories overlap? Like coming up with them is storytelling, but putting them into words and sentences is also in good part writing well? Feels like those two categories are very much intertwined in these elements... Or am I out of my mind here?
We just covered a story that exemplifies this in our review thread.

A good deal of the pleasure I get out of reading has to do with the confidence, imagination and pure word creation of the storyteller. I can be roped into all manner of tales if the teller has style, a sense of adventure, knows when and what to emphasize, when to pause to let me think, when to immerse me with details on a character or setting, who can Seduce me with their enthusiasm and words.

So here is where things can get in the way of substandard storytelling:

If you are sloppy with your grammar and construction that tells me I am not getting your 'A' effort. You haven't even bothered to wear decent clothing to our first date. I (and most of us) don't mind the occasional typo, since they are seemingly unavoidable, but lack of care with the details suggests you aren't going to be all that good even with the main focus. I want to have confidence that a writer is going to give me a good tale. I like it when I am in the good hands of a perceptive, precise and focused storyteller, and that's where the silly details matter.

One of the things I look for that separates great writers from decent ones is the proof that they understand the rules of writing so that they know when and how to break them. I'm perfectly willing to overlook the occasional spelling or grammar error, because I know all too well the horror of having pressed 'Submit' only to read through the version once published and realize I missed something terribly obvious.

But much like @yowser wrote, if your attention to the bare basics is sloppy, that tells me you don't understand the rules of writing. If you don't understand the rules, then at best your writing will be average, and I've got no time for average.

Back