Storytelling

Yes, so you do care about grammar.

Yes, so you do care about grammar.
No.... I don't...
I explained my position several times.
We could go on, but I really can't be bothered. You are clearly the sort of person who wants the last word...
I was not looking for an argument, simply stating my opinion. It may differ from yours, I'm OK with that...

Cagivagurl

No.... I don't...
I explained my position several times.
We could go on, but I really can't be bothered. You are clearly the sort of person who wants the last word...
I was not looking for an argument, simply stating my opinion. It may differ from yours, I'm OK with that...

Cagivagurl

This is your MO. You state things emphatically and then at the end tack on a little disclaimer that it's only your opinion. Then when someone opposes your opinion, you say that they're wrong, proving that your 'opinion' is actually intended as more than your opinion. You bring a front while pretending not to have one.

That aside, I was merely pointing out the diametrically opposed statements in your stance. I will spell it out one final time.

"I don't care about grammar as long as things makes sense" means that if it doesn't make sense then you care about the grammar. Which means that you do care in some way about grammar whenever you read.

The cat ate the muffin with the whiskers. <- does not make sense because the grammar is wrong.

The cat with the whiskers ate the muffin. <- makes sense because the grammar is correct.

Making the words and sentences make sense is the only function of grammar. So if you want the words to make sense, you care about grammar.

We don't have to get involved in a silly storytelling v. grammar debate in this thread. The thread is about storytelling. I consider myself a grammar nerd and weigh grammar more heavily than most in my appreciation of a story, but I still think storytelling skills are far, far more important than grammar skills. There's plenty to talk about storytelling in this thread. Let's leave the grammar talk for another thread.

The only thing I would say in this thread that touches on grammar is that in good storytelling they are not wholly distinct, because one of the crucial elements of good storytelling is telling your story clearly so the reader understands it. A good storyteller respects a good listener/reader, and that requires some attention to the conventions that enable readers to understand what we are writing.

We don't have to get involved in a silly storytelling v. grammar debate in this thread. The thread is about storytelling. I consider myself a grammar nerd and weigh grammar more heavily than most in my appreciation of a story, but I still think storytelling skills are far, far more important than grammar skills. There's plenty to talk about storytelling in this thread. Let's leave the grammar talk for another thread.

The only thing I would say in this thread that touches on grammar is that in good storytelling they are not wholly distinct, because one of the crucial elements of good storytelling is telling your story clearly so the reader understands it. A good storyteller respects a good listener/reader, and that requires some attention to the conventions that enable readers to understand what we are writing.

I don't think anyone who is saying grammar isn't important wants to throw it out the window.
It's more a reflection on some of the silly mistakes that don't interfere with the story.

If you use their instead of there we all know from the context what you meant. It isn't important.
There is a meme about the importance of commas.
"Let's eat, kids."
"Let's eat kids."

Yes, the missing comma changes the meaning, but the reader knows what you meant from the context.

This is your MO. You state things emphatically and then at the end tack on a little disclaimer that it's only your opinion. Then when someone opposes your opinion, you say that they're wrong, proving that your 'opinion' is actually intended as more than your opinion. You bring a front while pretending not to have one.

That aside, I was merely pointing out the diametrically opposed statements in your stance. I will spell it out one final time.

"I don't care about grammar as long as things makes sense" means that if it doesn't make sense then you care about the grammar. Which means that you do care in some way about grammar whenever you read.

The cat ate the muffin with the whiskers. <- does not make sense because the grammar is wrong.

The cat with the whiskers ate the muffin. <- makes sense because the grammar is correct.

Making the words and sentences make sense is the only function of grammar. So if you want the words to make sense, you care about grammar.
Firstly....
I never said anybody, including you was wrong.
I always say it is only my opinion, because that is all it is...
I don't speak on behalf of the galaxy. Just myself.
Things may not make sense to you, but for myself. I can read happily a story which has bad grammar and spelling. It does not annoy me.
What works for you, may not work for me... We are different... I'm happy with that.

Cagivagurl

The opening usually showcases the author's skill.

"My name is Trudy. I’m 26, 5'6", blonde, round in all the right places, and I’ve been very naughty lately,"

is not only a lame opening line but also a lazy way to skip exposition and jump straight into the juicy parts. Unfortunately, such stories are quite common
So many stories start with stat lines or whatever. I hate it.

Back