grumbles....

Rumple Foreskin said:
One of you UK folks please help out your poor US cousin. How does the Rt. Hon. Mr. Smith pronounce his first name?

Rumple Foreskin

It's just the same as Ian (ie: e-un,) except in his case it's spelt differently. :rolleyes:

Lou

Ha ha! Edited to say: Og got there first, and he gave you a different answer. I've never heard it pronounced that way, but then again, nobody I know talks posh. :D

Okay, folks. What we've got here, is a failure of pronunciation.

In one corner, we have EE-AIN as in train from Og, while Tatelou insists it's just the same as Ian (ie: e-un,). Since he once visited her kids school, she has the early edge. But you two may need some quiet time together in the cloak room to work this out.

Rumple Foreskin

The BBC pronounce it as Tatelou says. They are usually right.

It should be pronounced as I do, but then I was born in Wales, look you, and the Welsh are odd.

Most people in the UK can't remember who he is, let alone how he pronounces his name.

Og

oggbashan said:

Most people in the UK can't remember who he is, let alone how he pronounces his name.

Og

LOL!

I will definitely agree with you on that.

Ok, here's another one. I have an Irish friend called Eoghain, any guesses on how his name is pronounced?

Lou

oggbashan said:

The ultimate charisma-free zone. I've always heard Iain pronounced like Ian (Ee-an/Ee-un), but that name has several British variants from the Welsh Ieuan (Yai-yan/Yai-un) to the Scottish Ewan (You-wan), so I wouldn't take any answer as definitive. I believe IDS pronounces it Ian.

The Earl

The pronunciation of family names can be odd. A good example is your former PM Alex Douglas Home who pronounced his last name, "Hume."

Dubois is a common name in my neck of the woods and has at least three distinct pronunciations. One is the French pronunciation used by Blanche "Dew-bway" in Streetcar Named Desire. Two are English: "Dew-bowze" and "Dew-bose".

There's a legend that the reason the name of the biggest city in Texas is mis-pronounce "Hew-stun" instead of "House-ton" goes back to Sam Houston, for whom the city is named, changing the pronunciation of his name to throw off bill collectors.

Rumple Foreskin

Wow, I go away for a few hours and this is what I miss....

Third-person

Omiscient

Introspective

Were all words that I knew the meaning of, individually. I put them together (or at least, their meanings) and something just didn't quite add up .. I think, as Icingsugar put it, the 'linguistic acrobatics' got too much for me and my brain overheated.

raphy said:
I think, as Icingsugar put it, the 'linguistic acrobatics' got too much for me and my brain overheated.

Well, with my new English teacher Perdita at the black board I finally begin to see things clearly. (see her 'Bob's a twat' post) I think this Triomnispective thingamabob isn't all that terrible after all.

Heck, I've even used it a couple of times. In fact, it can work pretty well if you make sure that the narrator is not 'God', but a character with personality and flaws, who just happens to have done some research to retell the story properly.

Or even an omniscient presence, as long as he is cool enough... First one that comes to mind for me is actually The Stranger in The Big Lebowski.

*grins*

Perdita knows her Triomnispective thingamabobs from her Omniscipotent whatchamacallits, and that's no lie.

Not in these trying and troubled times. These days he's your auntie's live-in-lover.

Take a look at The Usual Suspect where the narrator is the focus character who puts one over on the other characters as well as the reader.

-FF
working feverishly on that temple to Goddess Perdita - wondering what kind of sacrifice will appease[/i]

ffreak said:
working feverishly on that temple to Goddess Perdita - wondering what kind of sacrifice will appease
Hint: my great-grandfather was Aztec, you know what they offered to the gods. (I told you I was demanding.)

Perdita la Azteca

raphy said:
Be afraid, FF.. Be very afraid.
Look, just keep your tenses straight, spell correctly and don't use the second person if you're not really really good.

la Principessa

perdita said:
I'm going to take you seriously, Raph.

Third person omniscient means the narrator speaks about everything and everyone as if they know it all, including a character's inner thoughts (like God). The introspective is odd in that you would have the narrator talking to him/herself.

Further clarification: First person is told by the narrator as him/herself.

Second person, the narrator directs her/himself to "you" or a character.

Perdita (taught by nuns)

So the narrator would have to refer to themself in first person and show their pov while keeping everyone else (whose feelings/ emotion ect he would be privy to ) in third person showing their pov as well. making it horribly tedious to follow.

Last edited:
destinie21 said:
... making it horribly tedious to follow.
Or hilarious, depends on the author's intent and ironic disposition. Or, hilarious if plainly awful perhaps.

Perdita

These threads are not horribly tedious to follow. As long as I run out of wind.

-FF
looking for virgins to sacrifice from the GB

perdita said:
Or hilarious, depends on the author's intent and ironic disposition. Or, hilarious if plainly awful perhaps.

Perdita

True enough but as discussed before to many people confuse irony w/ shit that happens. :D

He knew. She knew he knew. He knew she knew he Knew. But not one of them Knew I Knew. :D

Irony, 3rd person omniscient introspective, 2nd person

Dest,

That's why I don't recommend it unless one is a really, really, really good writer.

Perdita

perdita said:
Look, just keep your tenses straight, spell correctly and don't use the second person if you're not really really good.

la Principessa

Tenses? Check.
Spelling? Check.

Err... What's that bit about the second person mean? I write kinda like I play guitar - All the notes are in the right place, and sometimes it's quite complex - But don't go confusing me with technical terms...

Raph, who knows what does and doesn't sound correct, but couldn't tell you what the technical term for any of it is.

p.s. I loved Killer Muffin's essay on grammar. All the stuff I do, but never knew what it was called *grins*

Raff, I don't know anything about playing guitar, though I know what I like. If you don't know what the second person is, keep it that way.

Perdita

Back