grumbles....

Re: Irony, 3rd person omniscient introspective, 2nd person

perdita said:
Dest,

That's why I don't recommend it unless one is a really, really, really good writer.

Perdita
Not being as open-minded as Perdiat, I would never recommend using second person, even if a writer is really, really, really good. It'd be a waste of talent.

Second person is a natural vacuum--the literary equivelent to the Ravenous Bugblather beast of Trall. When it comes to second person, writer's should adopt the advice found in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" for dealing with the Bugblather beast, AVOID! AVOID!

RF

Oh, wait.. Is that where you write "You walk into the room, I'm lying on the bed waiting for you.."

etc etc...

I think I get it now... And yes, I stay well away from that.

Ravenous Bugblather beast of Trall

OK, perspective overload going on here...

This is the beast that is supposed to be completely impervious to any advanced weaponry invented by any race in the (known*) universe. However when encountering one, remember he believes that if you can not see him, he can not see you. So all you have to do is close your eyes if one spots you and you'll be OK.

Maybe people who write in 2nd person actually believe that.

*known to science fiction writers. fantasy writers are another story - many of them proudly display mounted bugblatter heads on their walls.

-FF
[color=990000]if you close your eyes is the cop really there?[/color]

Last edited:
Re: Re: Irony, 3rd person omniscient introspective, 2nd person

Rumple Foreskin said:
Not being as open-minded as Perdiat, I would never recommend using second person, even if a writer is really, really, really good. It'd be a waste of talent.

Second person is a natural vacuum--the literary equivelent to the Ravenous Bugblather beast of Trall. When it comes to second person, writer's should adopt the advice found in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" for dealing with the Bugblather beast, AVOID! AVOID!

RF

Amen to that brother. Second person always reads like a laundry list. It turns me off in any genre.

Right then

Obviosly I need to..... um elaborate.......
I would quote here except that I left the book in the car.... and it makes me nasueos just thinking about reading it.... but here goes
Third Person Omnicient..... right you know everything that's going on with everyone.......
Introspective.... is where you add to their thoughts and feelings with a byline of motivations.... via narrator

RIght then.......

I didn't realize that I was creating a monster........
I agree that 2nd person is a utter vacume.....
YES it is SICKENING that someone actually got paid for this peice of trash.... and..... um....... I just sent a peice to an Editor..... I'll let you know what to look for ........ soon as its edited, If its edited!

Ok, my mind has been opened and I have seen the light.

Try
Mastubatory Musings by BridgetKeeney.

She does an excellent job of a 2nd person without ever forcing the reader (you) to try to participate in the story. The 2nd person is a character in the story reading a letter.

Gauche turned me on to this.
(that is the correct choice of words - so why does that make me nervous)

Back