Shit is glue, I think.

Well,
now aint that special
chuckleboned
<grinin'

(~_*) I like...

emma here, thinks she is a princess
but I call her...
a lil' angel <grin (that will grow into that dragon you mentioned) (~_*)

in blanket's joy
slumbers an angel kicking softly
dancing in dreams

TheRainMan said:
whoa!

whuddaya know. haiku on haiku river.

:rose:

so, my understanding of haiku is that it is a 5/7/5 formation, non-rhyme, and related to nature or season that expresses some inner understanding/moral value,etc

?

i know that nowadays most people don't do this exact formation. yea? is that ok to break with traditional form? i want rules but then again, i also want to break them.

; ) tee hee

HotKittySpank said:
so, my understanding of haiku is that it is a 5/7/5 formation, non-rhyme, and related to nature or season that expresses some inner understanding/moral value,etc

?

i know that nowadays most people don't do this exact formation. yea? is that ok to break with traditional form? i want rules but then again, i also want to break them.

; ) tee hee

decayed angel is the one to direct haiku questions to.

he is well-versed in it, and his offerings are exceptional.

HotKittySpank said:

?

; ) tee hee
5/7/5? No. That's a misunderstanding that I'm not sure where it comes from. Haikus should be brief and condensed, content-wise. It could be that 5/7/5 syllables gives it the proper amount of notions per line if you write it in Japanese, a much more multisyllabic language than English.

Non-rhyme? Not sure but I don't think rhyme or not matters.

Nature and season? Yes.

Inner understanding/moral value? Nothing I've heard about, but my knowledge of haiku is only brief.

Here's what Wikipedia says:

Haiku is a mode of Japanese poetry, the late 19th century revision by Masaoka Shiki of the older hokku, the opening verse of a linked verse form, haikai no renga. A traditional hokku consists of a pattern of approximately 5, 7, and 5 morae, phonetic units which only partially correspond to the syllables of languages such as English. It also contains a special season word (the kigo) descriptive of the season in which the renga is set. Hokku often combine two (or rarely, three) different elements into a unified sensory impression, with a major grammatical break (kire) usually at the end of either the first five or second seven morae. These elements of the older hokku are considered by many to be essential to haiku as well, although not always included by modern writers of Japanese "free-form haiku" and of non-Japanese haiku. Senryu is a similar poetry form that emphasizes humor and human foibles instead of seasons.

Due to the various views and practices today, it is impossible to single out any current style or format or subject matter as definitive "haiku". Nonetheless, some of the more common practices in English are:

- Use of three (or fewer) lines of no more than 17 syllables in total;

- Use of metrical feet rather than syllables. A haiku then becomes three lines of 2, 3, and 2 metrical feet, with a pause after the second or fifth;

- Use of a caesura to implicitly contrast and compare two events or situations.

Complex schtuff dis. I'll just go on writing my freefrom dogerrel, if it's all the same to y'all. ;)

Last edited:
cherry blossom
......floating on the breeze
......a cabbage white

(a tad out of practise here.)

Last edited:
clutching_calliope said:
I looked up haiku at Wikipedia after reading what Liar wrote and found farther down in the article that there is something called Spam-Ku.

Of course I clicked the link and so should you: http://web.mit.edu/jync/www/spam/

i clicked it though with reluctance (anything with the word spam makes me shudder)... i admit that whilst that kind of ku is to some people's taste, it's not my kind of thing. i prefer to sticking to the more traditional ways, i get more out of it.

:rose:

sheets of mist
drift through the valley
pierced by crows

(not sure about the 'sheets' and the 'pierced'---too much metaphor for true haiku?)

Liar said:
Here's what Wikipedia says:

Haiku is a mode of Japanese poetry, the late 19th century revision by Masaoka Shiki of the older hokku, the opening verse of a linked verse form, haikai no renga. A traditional hokku consists of a pattern of approximately 5, 7, and 5 morae, phonetic units which only partially correspond to the syllables of languages such as English. It also contains a special season word (the kigo) descriptive of the season in which the renga is set. Hokku often combine two (or rarely, three) different elements into a unified sensory impression, with a major grammatical break (kire) usually at the end of either the first five or second seven morae. These elements of the older hokku are considered by many to be essential to haiku as well, although not always included by modern writers of Japanese "free-form haiku" and of non-Japanese haiku. Senryu is a similar poetry form that emphasizes humor and human foibles instead of seasons.

Due to the various views and practices today, it is impossible to single out any current style or format or subject matter as definitive "haiku". Nonetheless, some of the more common practices in English are:

- Use of three (or fewer) lines of no more than 17 syllables in total;

- Use of metrical feet rather than syllables. A haiku then becomes three lines of 2, 3, and 2 metrical feet, with a pause after the second or fifth;

- Use of a caesura to implicitly contrast and compare two events or situations.

ok, you can just pretend you don't hear me cussing here (!!!! every time i think i understand something, i get bitch-slapped. fucking math everywhere i turn - its like a conspiracy against those of us who see it as an alien language - it is you know ; )

THIS is going to stop me dead in my tracks until i understand what you wrote out. thanks for the quote Liar - it is a new challenge. i read all that on Wiki too but due to the #'s - it just few right over my head - i saw 5/7/5 and thought COOL! i can handle that. rrrrr - been finger counting like an idiot! : )

Liar said:
sheets of mist
drift through the valley
pierced by crows

(not sure about the 'sheets' and the 'pierced'---too much metaphor for true haiku?)

drifts of mist
slip through the valley
surfed by crows

?

wildsweetone said:
cherry blossom
......floating on the breeze
......a cabbage white

(a tad out of practise here.)

wildflower turns
towards the sweet morning sun
the warmth of one