~~Haiku River~~

rain drenches serenity
twilight Possesses river
we ingest its beauty

Last edited:
i'm going to add different Haiku into this thread if nobody minds too much. please feel free to ignore or bounce off them if you like. i'm just enjoying learning the form and am inundated with images - not all relate to the river theme, kind of free and easy thinking. :)

wind blown waves
...gulls in flight
shimmer

wildsweetone said:
i'm going to add different Haiku into this thread if nobody minds too much. please feel free to ignore or bounce off them if you like. i'm just enjoying learning the form and am inundated with images - not all relate to the river theme, kind of free and easy thinking. :)

wind blown waves
...gulls in flight
shimmer

nice poem... haiku is haiku if it moves one from the inside out from reading outside in.

My Erotic Trail said:
nice poem... haiku is haiku if it moves one from the inside out from reading outside in.

i think i understand what you're saying, but can you explain it a little plainer for me please? i just want to make sure i know what you're saying. :)

wildsweetone said:

wind blown waves
...gulls in flight
shimmer

sea of glass reflects
dinner for a hungry gull
his dive so graceful...

i saw this idea on another website so am fiddling with my own to see what happens. (please feel free to ignore it, i just needed somewhere to think out loud). :rose:

1. oak tree bark
rocky alp river
an unwalked path

or

2. oak bark
rocky river
an unwalked path

or

3. tree skin (bet i can't have the word skin)
rocky river
an unwalked path

or

4. tree bark
rocky river
an overgrown path

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. oak tree bark
rocky alp river
an unwalked path

2. oak bark
rocky river
an unwalked path

i don't like the word 'bark' it reminds me too much of dog, but the word is in both so i need more. 1 is more specific, but to me seems 'wordy', if the word 'alp' was 'alpine' it might 1 might seem to 'sound' better. but i like the stark effect of 2.

~~~~~

3. tree skin (bet i can't have the word skin)
rocky river
an unwalked path

4. tree bark
rocky river
an overgrown path

i don't know about 'skin' - it is defined in the dictionary as relating to an animal therefore a tree cannot have skin in Haiku (in my opinion). so 4 goes through.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. oak bark
rocky river
an unwalked path

4. tree bark
rocky river
an overgrown path

two words different in each of these ku - oak/tree and unwalked/overgrown. hmm

oak specifies the tree type. is this easier to imagine? in prose it is better to be specific, it gives a more concrete image. the same in poetry? *thinking* okay i like it because not all trees have the same type or 'feel' to their bark, oak fits what i want to say.

now unwalked/overgrown. i like 'unwalked' but my instinct tells me 'overgrown'. walked has an element of human action about it. overgrown infers no human contact at all.

i have to keep the word 'bark' because i can't think of another that refers to that part of the tree. 'trunk' smacks of elephant. saying 'oak tree' doesn't give me a specific image of the bark of the tree. at this point, bark stays.

so it looks like a mixture...

oak bark
rocky river -
an overgrown path

well, that was fun. lol

Last edited:
now that's a trick one. :D

from a mountain
to a mountain -
haru no umi (spring sea)

My Erotic Trail said:
cold water rapid
a mountain top falls
mirror river

grief! i agonise over these things for hours and it seems like you splurt them out the end of your fingertips just like that! i'm jealous!

:D

white water rapids
avalanche -
spring clouds

wildsweetone said:
grief! i agonise over these things for hours and it seems like you splurt them out the end of your fingertips just like that! i'm jealous!

:D

white water rapids
avalanche -
spring clouds

Hours? Hours? hunni, I aint got too many more hours left in my day, <grin>

soft clouds kiss
the river's lapping shore
water's rippled sky

My Erotic Trail said:
exposed roots
an oak tree's feet
toes in the river

three rivers collide
in harmony
trinity

The River
still

moves me

Ghost river
of mud and sand
a brown ribbon

(in retro contemplation)

My Erotic Trail said:
a silent cove
sacturary to the river's current
tranquility passing

oh that's interesting... i never thought of the river's current being tranquil. :rose:

Back