Help from an artist

It's entirely plausible that a practiced figure artist could knock out a good oil painting from a model in two or three hours. ... and the background wouldn't be finished, but nudes don't really need anything in the way of background. ...warm and cool colors for flesh tones. A quick charcoal sketch and plenty of dash in the brushwork and you're home free

I agree wholeheartedly here, Colly. In general, it is best that nudes don't have but a quick back drop for their background, so no time would be needed for any detail there.

Acrylic would be faster because of the drying time, and it is faster to work with in general, but oils are the well-known traditional method and would enhance the story - when one hears the word 'oil' it carries with it a certain time-honored charm that acrylics don't convey. Oils tell the reader that the artist is knowledgeable and has serious integrity because oils are more difficult to deal with and not every artist will challenge him or herself in that regard.

Also, the painting wouldn't have to be realistic or photorealistic - there is a difference - it could be done in an impressionist style, a cubist style, or a caricature for example...you could pick a style that would correspond to the era/setting/style of the story. These styles could be less time-consuming for the artist.
It doesn't sound like you are going for a caricature, but it was just a thought.

Also, a portrait done in charcoal always makes a beautiful portrait and can be done in less time!

There is a solution that will fit just right for what you want. Keep searching. Don't give up on the idea; it's a neat one!!

floweringlotus :rose:

I am going to try to go with oils. My basic idea for the scene is the artist using a technique similar to Thomas Kinkaid, the painter of light. For anyone who hasn't strudied Kinkaid, he arrives at theplace he plans to pain early in themorning and stays throughout the day, by paining the scene with a days worth of lighting effects he produces some dazzeling effects. My idea was to have the subject restrained and then work her body over, raising the level of arousal to it's absolute peak for each body part. For example clothes pins on her nipples, whiel working on her face, then remove on. Lick, suck, teast and play with just that breast until it's absoultely at the peak of arousal and then and only then go tto your canvas and paint just that part of her body on canvas.

I thought this would make for a great erotic teasing scene that would cover three or four hours and at the same time would produce a painting of the subject that would be as wantonly erotic as possible. Something that when finished would stun her in just how sexy she could look.

-Colly

rhinoguy said:
Thomas Kinkaid, the painter of light?

never mind then.

write it as you will....to get "fussy"...his "technique"..would not be a speedy one...so what. it is your story and your fantasy...it will happen JUSt as you write it. and it will be good. (please don't mention his name as a reference..it would totally spoil the mood for me...not that you are writing for me, I know)

rhino-personally (my person not his) I hate Kincaid paintings.
some amazing tricks and meticulous technique though. To me he is the Boris of Landscapes.

Everybody else seems to love his work

I didn't mean to say staling his technique in the manner of time consumption or brush technique. I meant only taking the idea of painting differnt parts of the painting in different time frames. In this case rather than letting the light change I wished to make sure each part of the subject was in it's most aroused (arousing?) state.

I would never use his name in one of my works, or anyone elses who is still alive for that matter. My appreciation of art isn't deep enough to really understand all that they do and have accomplished :)

-Colly

help from an aritst

I would agree with you Rhino, that painting in oils doesn't equate to having talent, seriousness or integrity; I have all of those and I don't paint in oils. My father did, however, and he was an excellent artist who worked in very fine detail. I have many artist friends who don't paint in oils and they have all three qualities.

I, too, have seen both masterpieces and crap in all mediums. I think when I made that comment, I was thinking about 'old world art/literature' and was referring ot the timeless quality of the old masters ... like you say, a 'je ne sais quoi....'

I, as anyone, speak from only my own opinion, training, & experience, a bit of which I have - an AA degree in Art with an emphasis on drawing, photography and design, a BA in graphic communications with a minor in art, and a certificate in drafting. You seemed to be mincing words a bit, but I appreciate your attention to them and your remarks. ... interesting discussion.

NO, not every one likes Thomas Kincaide. Personally, I can't stand his work either, but I envision what you, Colly, are wanting to portray. ... It worked for me!! Got MY clit hard!! ;-))
I think it is a great idea and very arousing!!

I love some Kincaids, but I have an afinity for the sea and history and many of his works deal with th sea or with historicl scenes.

I finished the rough draft on the scene. I think it wil be good when I finally get it polished. I thank all of you for your advice, ideas and the impromptu art lessons :) I had really hoped to write the scene with the painting being an important part, but considering my own proclivities and the way you guys have shown me I don't know enough about painting to do it justice I ended up writing the scene mostly from the perspective of the model.

Thank you all agqin :)

:rose: :heart: :kiss:

-Colly

rhinoguy said:
Colly,
Please don't take what we (I) say here TOO seriously....for the most part I think there was some artsy farty "cock fight" (cock or not) going on or parrying with our Sable brushes. I am sure you can give YOUR interpretation of an artists view just fine and believably.

rhino-a brush with danger

The differing views just underscored to me how romanticized my ideas about being a painter are. I think of it as something almost mystical, the ability to take a blank canvas and bring it to life, to add color and life. People who can paint or even sketch and draw well are held in awe by me.

For me, the scene works much better if I can capture that reverence for the artist from the view of the subject. Any attempt on my part to express what an artist feels as they paint would be purely conjectureal and my limited gasp of what it takes to create a work of art would make descriptions of her as she painted very shallow.

I chose to have Christa use oils because there is a warmpth and depth to oils that I do not see as often in acrylics, pastels or water colors. I admire the artist, no matter what the medium, but for the painting I am hoping to se Christa capture, it would have to be oils :)

take care,

Colly

rhinoguy said:
Thomas Kinkaid, the painter of light?

rhino-personally (my person not his) I hate Kincaid paintings.
some amazing tricks and meticulous technique though. To me he is the Boris of Landscapes.

Everybody else seems to love his work

The thing about Kincaid is that he is producting in my opinion the best print in the business today. And the prints, cheesy as they are, are a very close representation to the original painting.

The masses are pretty much happy with this as can be seen by the popularity of the artist.

However, I believe that this is the very reason so many artists don't like. . . maybe even despise the name of Thomas Kincaid. That through whatever mean, he is producting such a high quality print.

What a lot of people don't realized, is that you can get an original, one of a kind painting, done with quality paints...a painting where the texture comes from paint that costs $20 for a 37ml tube. A painting or original work of art from an artist that *lives in your own area-.

You can get all these things for little more than a Kincaid print.

So, in a way, I see Thomas Kincaid indirectly Wal-Martizing art. Turning it into a commodity . . .something that is created by machine instead of by person.

(Which has absolutely nothing to do with the original request.)

help from an artist

"mincing words"..was that meant to be a bit sarcastic? I don't generally "mince" words...I butcher the language. I TRY not to be TOTALLY rude, but often come off that way.... especially when i get on my soapbox

No, Rhino, that was not meant to be sarcastic. I was just commenting on how it felt to me. I have had enough sarcasm in my life and it doesn't serve me or others, if I use it, IMHO.

TRYing to be diplomatic on a topic I tend to rant about. thank you for your insights

You're welcome :) :catgrin:

flotus :rose:

Rhino~~~ OKAY, I give up!! WHAT is soooo phunneeee about 'flotus'??
People keep giggling about it and I'm NOT in the loop!! :(
I know it means 'first lady of the US' because I saw that on the web, but am I missing something?

Grew up too protected and naive

glad we've made up <grin>

Couture said:
The thing about Kincaid is that he is producting in my opinion the best print in the business today. And the prints, cheesy as they are, are a very close representation to the original painting.

Unfortunately, they won't stay that way. :rolleyes: Kincaid's company puts out glorified posters, not fine art prints. They are either photo-litho offset (like glossy magazines) or inkjet prints, with an artificially textured surface. The inks used in these processes are not made with permanent pigments, and they will fade and change even if they are not put in the sun. So that fancy framed item that you paid serious money to hang on your wall will not be handed down to your grandchildren with pride, because it will look like a $14.99 drugstore knockoff in a few decades. Even if you like his work, Kincaid prints are not an investment. The work of a local starving artist who uses genuine materials and sound techniques is an investment.

(The fact that I am myself a starving artist has only slightly influenced this diatribe.)

MM

Help from an aritst

lol... I know Rhino... <grin> It's just that two/three others were yukking it up a couple of days ago when someone else first wrote it. I'd go back and see who it was, but I'm working w/o a mouse tonight and it makes using the 'puter slower.... anyway, they joked around about it and said, "we'll have to make it stick," and "squabbled" over who said it first... it was a hoot. ... and at the same time, I didn't get it and was embarrassed/shy to ask.
read: didn't want to come across as dumb. :eek:

~~lotus :rose:

How TRUE!! Cured forever. THANK you :)) dear one...
I don't know latin either, never took it in high school.. seemed too difficult.

Love phunneeee sounding words!!

~~ f. lotus :rose: There <grin> How's that?

Flowering lotus yeah, I like that too. I have used this screen name [as one word] since 1996 I think. It has a spiritual meaning for me and represents how I view my life, opening up like a flowering lotus.

was starting to think of alternatives...like "farting flower"

LMAO!! LOL! That's grrreat!!

sorta a queeb? queeve?

Uh-ohhhh. Here we go again. :-( 'splain please

(hmmm better check with MAthgirl on that...is she up to the Q's..not following her dictionary)

don't know her that well yet. is she a dic freak? [no pun intended, much was 2cute 2 pass up]

Flowering lotus :rose:

Back