How Do You View Yourself?

I think as we get older we're a little easier on ourselves
Life becomes more of I don't give a F
I'll never have a 6-pack and I am healthier than I have been in 10 plus years
I will never have hair on my head so embrace baldness

The nice lady who gave me drugs to help with executive functioning issues said that I have an extremely negative view of myself. In my opinion it would be much harder to see myself and have a negative opinion if there was a woman sitting on my face. 🤷‍♂️

Are you super hard on yourself?

Wise Ladies & Gentlemen of Lit,

Usually I try not to be so serious here on Lit. After all, it's meant to be a fun place. However I am curious as to other people's struggles and views.

I really struggle with self-esteem and self-confidence. I thought they were the same until recently but apparently they are not. I really am not the best looking guy in the world. In fact, I make Shrek look like a handsome, ripped hunk from a steamy romantic movie. I really find it hard to look at photos of myself, to look in a mirror and to generally show my face anywhere unless my photo has been heavily edited with filters and using the best angle.

I know some people will say that everyone has had doubts at some point about their appearance but mine really is extreme to the point where I'd be happy to hide my face from people forever - however wearing a ski -mask to go shopping is frowned upon. My looks have impacted relationships too. I know of at least one person who kicked me to the side because of how I looked.

I'm curious as to how many Litsters out there feel the same way and how you have dealt with it. I'd welcome any tips except the "seek professional help" one. I have tried discussing this with professionals and nothing has ever helped, including CBT.

So please, even if it is short and sweet, any advice or any stories of what has happened may help.
if you cannot love your self, why would anyone else bother?

start there and I'm sure you'll be fine!

I was talking to some old friends about our teen years and I realised that I see myself very differently from how they remember me. Getting positive affirmations from people whom I trust to be completely honest with me has gone a long way towards changing how I view myself. Add to that the painful self reflection and brutal honesty with myself, challenging automatic beliefs when I recognise them, and letting myself feel happy or frightened or angry as the emotion appears. It sucks. It's hard work and I often find myself resentful that I have to do all this because of how others have treated me. But in the end I am the only one who can change me into the person I want to be. We are all our own knight in shining (or battered) armour.

I was talking to some old friends about our teen years and I realised that I see myself very differently from how they remember me. Getting positive affirmations from people whom I trust to be completely honest with me has gone a long way towards changing how I view myself. Add to that the painful self reflection and brutal honesty with myself, challenging automatic beliefs when I recognise them, and letting myself feel happy or frightened or angry as the emotion appears. It sucks. It's hard work and I often find myself resentful that I have to do all this because of how others have treated me. But in the end I am the only one who can change me into the person I want to be. We are all our own knight in shining (or battered) armour.
Battered armor is a reflection of the quest we're all in. Those dents don't tarnish who you are but instead display your resolve. You could have taken a knee and never stood back up, but here you are. Polish that armor and take the next step forward.

Battered armor is a reflection of the quest we're all in. Those dents don't tarnish who you are but instead display your resolve. You could have taken a knee and never stood back up, but here you are. Polish that armor and take the next step forward.
Oh, I don't see battered armour as a bad thing. I'd much prefer battered to shining. Battered armour is for those who have already seen battle and survived.

Oh, I don't see battered armour as a bad thing. I'd much prefer battered to shining. Battered armour is for those who have already seen battle and survived.
Think of hammered steel. While it shines, you can still see the marks. Each dent and mark is a story unto itself.

This thread feels like a bit like a confess-and-share group therapy session.

So here goes.

Hi, I’m Jett.
You may have seen my rampant idiocy on the boards.
In RL, I’m a kind, mature, responsible Dad, husband and professional engineer.
Lit is where I come to let loose and escape all that social responsibility.
But I also feel guilty about the time I spend here. Not because I do naughty things - I don’t - but because there are much healthier ways to do stress relief than this. Like exercise or a home DIY project.
I enjoy the fun but it’s always tempered with the voice in the back of my head which tells me to quit wasting time, procrastinating and avoiding and get on with doing the real stuff.

*sigh*

On that note, Jett out.

This thread feels like a bit like a confess-and-share group therapy session.

So here goes.

Hi, I’m Jett.
You may have seen my rampant idiocy on the boards.
In RL, I’m a kind, mature, responsible Dad, husband and professional engineer.
Lit is where I come to let loose and escape all that social responsibility.
But I also feel guilty about the time I spend here. Not because I do naughty things - I don’t - but because there are much healthier ways to do stress relief than this. Like exercise or a home DIY project.
I enjoy the fun but it’s always tempered with the voice in the back of my head which tells me to quit wasting time, procrastinating and avoiding and get on with doing the real stuff.

*sigh*

On that note, Jett out.
Feeling guilty about how you choose to unwind is hard. It seems like it would cause you to not be able to fully enjoy yourself. Downtime is so important and Lit can be a place to laugh and decompress. Would you feel less guilty chatting in person with friends? Is the guilt connected to lit being a sex site?

Funny.. sarcastic... tomboy... introvert and extrovert... private and contrary

Back