How long do you spend on a story?

Quasimodem said:
Actually, they were linen diaperish wraps used in case the brave knight might spot during a particularly dangerous passage of arms. :eek:

Over that, a thick layer of felt, as padding, to absorb some of the concussion from the harder blows. :mad:

Next came chain mail, heavy, interwoven metal links to stop the sharp edge of the sword, when/if it got past the shield.

In earlier times, or less advanced areas, the links were fastened to a suit of leather, since it was neither so intricate to make, nor so prodigal with metal links.

Finally the breastplate, gorget, tasset, greaves, cuisse, pauldron, gauntlets, and finally, his helm, and his shield. :(

Of course, one has still not accounted for the offensive weapons, nor the energy required to use them, but I believe you would be safe in saying that any knight so accoutred would be uncomfortably warm, even in 60 degree weather. :rolleyes:

Which is how the boys and women could calmly walk onto the battle field and stab said 'knights' in the armpit to let them bleed to death whilst they rifled his accoutrements. Which makes me larf and larf when I see a film where they leap up after being felled from their horse and wield a two handed sword like they were performing in the 'Rythm' part of a gymnastics floor exercise with those ribbon on a stick things.

Gauche

Quasimodem said:
believe you would be safe in saying that any knight so accoutred would be uncomfortably warm, even in 60 degree weather.
Dear Quaz,
I wouldn't want to be standing downwind from the knight when they disrobed him after a sweaty battle.
MG
Ps. I wonder if Victoria's Secret has considered bringing out a line of chain mail lingeree.

I, personally prefer an under tunic made of rough spun silk. Over that, a full set of Lamellar armor made of scales boiled in wax. Yes, there's a name for it, but I cant spell it. hehehe.

Steel elbows and knees, a battle skirting made up of Lamellar, along with a gorget, helmet, and a halberd.

About the only thing I'd do in 106 degree heat is drip wax all over the battlefield. :D

BardsLady:rose:

MathGirl said:
Dear Gauchie,
I asked the same question quite a while back. I was told that "Mary Sue" is the writer inserting himself into the story.

The question nobody answered is, WHY is it called "Mary Sue?"
MG

Dear SirH,
Yeah, yeah. And you have the strength of ten because your heart is pure. I'm in Sacramento right now, and it's 106 degrees. I'd like to see how long you could stand out in the sun wearing your iron underwear.
MG

I never said I keep the suit on...just the sword :devil:

the rest of it you got about right...although I think it's the stamina of ten....

Does anyone recall the early scene in Excaliber (the movie) when Uther disguised as the Cornwall king has sex in full armor w/Cornwall's wife and she seems to have 'come' through w/o a scratch and gives birth to Arthur 9 months later? I really wish that scene had been more graphic, i.e., just what got moved aside or plated back in the armoral crotch area? Did the thrusting leave permanent dents on either party? How could 20 seconds of a fuck be worth the ruination of a kingdom and Arthur finally dying to leave a legend that winds up on a Broadway stage starring the Welsh Richard Burton?

Any answers Hugs?

perdita said:
Does anyone recall the early scene in Excaliber (the movie) when Uther disguised as the Cornwall king has sex in full armor w/Cornwall's wife and she seems to have 'come' through w/o a scratch and gives birth to Arthur 9 months later? I really wish that scene had been more graphic, i.e., just what got moved aside or plated back in the armoral crotch area? Did the thrusting leave permanent dents on either party? How could 20 seconds of a fuck be worth the ruination of a kingdom and Arthur finally dying to leave a legend that winds up on a Broadway stage starring the Welsh Richard Burton?

Any answers Hugs?

all answers found in Monty Python 's Search for the Holy Grail

Last edited:
Back