I read this idea on another board and thought it might be kinda cool here

Let's go!

Remember I'm on t'other side of the pond if there are any tight deadlines.

Alex

Responses

KM-

I think that we should be responding to other writer's work constructively.

Sure, we don't say "that was great. What else ya got?", but we also don't say "Why did you do that?"

We should respond to give the other writer something to build from, not a 'dead end' response.

This will be difficult, because the writing samples will be so short and there may be many things we don't understand.

For example, if two characters interact in one page, we as the reader will likely not know anything about them and that may be the one thing that bothers us about the sample.

In which case, the writer may be planning on clarifying such things on a later page.

You know what I mean. If we are looking at page one of a twenty page story, then we probably need to know that.

Hmmm...how about a little intro (sentence or two) at the top of the submissions?

- Judo

Another idea, if the writer is trying something for the first time and wants specific feedback about that, they should be able to say that somewhere.

Like...

I'm trying to write in first person and having a hard time, how am I doing?

or

My sex scenes seem lame and I'm really trying, anyone?

Would that be ok to do?

Fabulous wording Judo! Constructive criticism is about the best thing there is for us writer critters. I like that idea for an intro too!

Good!

Submit like this:

[Introduction about what we are about to read. A brief description of where we are in the story and what the story is in a sentence or two.]

Then, follow with the prose to fill the rest of the page. It doesn't have to be a complete idea, story or thought. But hopefully it does fulfill what you intended.

After you post, the other writers in the group will respond with feedback on what works and what doesn't for them. Either way, responses should be constructive criticism. An idea the writer can build from to improve.

I like to think of this as a "safe space." Which means no judgemental, if offends me, egotistical commentary should be tolerated. Just help us poor writers get better.

;)
- Judo

i just wanted to be a dentist

hey all,

okay; KM comes up with a killer idea and just because i was working on a river for the past two weeks, with no computer access, I'm theoretically excluded from the group due to the nicely and meticulously delineated parameters.

:confused:

any chance of me "getting in?" (it sounds as if i'm pledging a fraternity...:eek: )

WARNING: Self-pitying drivel ahead.

As a beginning erotica writer, serious, constructive/formative feedback and the opportunity to provide the same would really solidify all my problems....

let me know if i should hang on or bugger off,

cheers,

bluetrain

Oh do bugger off. I've seen women bugger bats, beer bottles, candles, and three peni (isn't that the plural of penis?) at once, but I've never seen anyone bugger a can of off. Do you plan on buggering the oven cleaner or the insect repellent? I vote oven cleaner, because the can is bigger and you can a sparkling clean colon at the same time. Oh gawd, I'm channelling Sparky.

Of COURSE you can join in!!!! We only get cliquey when puritanical authors of Awake!, or whatever that cheezy religions mag is, show up. It's a sex positive thing.

another killer quote

another killer quote from KM:

"a sparkling clean colon" you know, i never thought of it that way.....

anyways, thanks for the permission to join. the picture as writing springboard is a solid writing activity that we can use for a new idea, or incorporate an existing one into it.

also, in my writing classes, i teach in-depth questioning, as i found that the right question can be as helpful as any summative or formative feedback.

and i forget who posted this, but in such a group as this, egos have to go by the way.

looking forward to monday,

bluetrain

Bluetrain said:

also, in my writing classes, i teach in-depth questioning, as i found that the right question can be as helpful as any summative or formative feedback

How about a summary for the rest of us?

Alex

questioning

well, whenever we as a class analyze a story, i have my students use questioning that can only lead to formative, constructive answers or discovery.

questions come in three categories:

literal: questions that can be answered yes or no (example: "do you like this character?" or, "do I set up the conflict at all?"

interpretive: questions that can be debated and can be supported by the text at hand (examples: "how can I make this plot more cohesive?" or, "IN what ways can this dialogue sound more real?"

and finally, evaluative: questions whose answers go beyond the text to the critic's and writer's experiences. examples: "do YOU think this story is appropriate for the intended audience?" or, "would YOU ever have a conversation like these characters are having?"

obviously, we focus on interpretive and evaluative questioning, as they lead to better and more developed responses. the answers are only as good as the questions.....

cheers,

bluetrain

Count me in, people. I don't know if I can keep my meanderings to a single page, but I'll try. How many words is that, then? I think that would be easier for those of us who have no idea how big a web page is.

Mickie

Not a webpage, Mickie, a word processor page. It doesn't really matter if it's complete or not. I could be one or two paragraphs from a complete thing. It's just a writing sample, kind of like something you would send after the query letter, only shorter.

Thanks, KM. I'll do my best, then, and you can correct me if I do it wrong.;) A little correction never hurt anyone, now did it?

Mick

And furthermore...

For even more clarification. That should be a single word-processing page that fits an 8.5 by 11 inch sheet of paper when printed (letter size).

;)
- Judo

Back