I will never understand...

MathGirl said:
Dear Tailless cat,
In case you can't find it, I posed a hypothetical voting pattern for two different stories. The votes were very similar to the pattern of my own stories.

Using both a Chi-square analysis and Student's t-test, I found that the probability of the two scores being equal was >0.10. Probably about 0.15.

Given the small sample and limited range of voting possibilities, votes here don't really mean much unless you're comparing a story with, for example, a 2.5 average and one with a 4.5 average.

Standardly deviant,
MG
_____

Dear MathGirl,

Thank you for the explanation.

When you mentioned Student's t-test, I became rather flushed and warm (and yes, there is a slight bulge in my pants).

Non-normally skewed with extreme kurtosis,
Manxy :devil:

story that barely was a 4.50 with only 12 votes. Been like that for months. Yesterday

Hi, Jenny.
If you had a story that was at 4.5 and had had 12 votes, that would maybe be six votes of 5 and six votes of 4. Then the 13th vote was also a 4. That last vote would not have been out of the ordinary.

My stories get votes from only about .2% of the hits, and even less feedback. At that rate, 2,048 would get about four votes, so if you have none, it may not mean much, except most of the votes come from the first few thousand readers.

I pay a lot less attention now than when I started posting but I do feel good to know that people like the stories enough to give high votes. I have one story that has had nine votes and is sitting at 4.89, and I wish somebody would come along and give it another vote, so it would be in the standings. I have another that has had eight votes and has beed sitting at 5.00 for a long time. It is the sixth chapter in a novella and I wish it could get the ninth and tenth votes. I would vote myself but that seems dishonest.

I find it Interesting

Just to see what was happening with my Winter Contest Story, I have been tracking the votes several times each day since last Friday. What do you suppose?

How about a few actual votes each day about a lot of fake votes (all 1's, of course). Laurel, bless her heart, has been really good about cleaning those spurious votes out every day. The irritating thing, really, is that it is very hard to tell what the story is actually doing. To give you an idea the story is doing quite a bit better than 4.5. But most of the time the vote score shows something around 4.00. I've seen it as low as 3.80.

Doesn't anyone wonder who the Trolls are? Who else would like to see them hanging by a personal part of their bodies?

One reason for a High Hits Count but a Low Vote Rating can be explained in one word!

BACK-CLICKS! :eek:

I figure 80 per cent of my hits can be explained that way!

Originally posted by Quasimodem BACK-CLICKS! I figure 80 per cent of my hits can be explained that way!
Dear Quaz,
What do you expect? You should wait until the end of the story for the discussion of coprophagia. Putting it in the second paragraph is guaranteed to get back-clicks.
Helpfully,
MG

Quasimodem said:
One reason for a High Hits Count but a Low Vote Rating can be explained in one word!

BACK-CLICKS! :eek:
QUOTE]

I understand that quas,

I mean, I have not had 9982 Votes. I'm only talking about those who actually have voted. I'm talking about the unusual proliferation of spurious 1 votes. In two days I can count 21 1's voted and later removed by Laurel.

Thinking about this. My observations are:

One votes are alway given anonymously.

In my experience, a story that hasn't done well has also gotten both anonymous and signed negative feedback to some degree.
That has not happened at all in this case. Every feedback email I have received with the exception of one has been complimentary. Even the single feedback with a negative comment was complimentary. This story just isn't following the normal pattern at all.

It's interesting that a poor story (yes, I've written a couple of those) start out low and collect a number of 2's and 3's and never graduate beyond that. That's understandable.

This story seems to be the center of an abusive attack. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

Not that I have noticed, but I work really hard not to pay too much attention to that. *laughs softly* Otherwise I get even more neurotic than I already am!

Sorry to hear about your troubles though. I liked your story and sent you a feedback and everything. :)

Whisper :rose:

This story seems to be the center of an abusive attack. I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem.

Welcome to the club. Whether or not you were aware of it, this actually happens every month, and during every contest. And if you think that it is just snerts doing it then you are deluding yourself. Listen to those who consistantly say not to worry about the votes. Why? Because you may want to check out if they are entered in the same contest as you. Not to say that it is them, but me thinks they do protest too much.

DS

PS: Am I stirring up trouble? Probably. But then I'm not entered in this contest, am I.

Last edited:
I still don't get it. How do you know you got 1 votes? I just see the average drop and think the last (few) readers haven't liked it.

That is disappointing, but when I see the number of views I think it's amazing how many people actually looked at something I wrote down.

I do agree about hanging trolls by their ... whatever.
If somebody can explain to me what trolls are. :D

My first story was the victim of 1's apparently, but I have no clue as to what happens voteswise with my story for the Holiday Contest.

I just see the rate dropping and kiss $500 goodbye. :mad:

But hey, the other stories maybe are better than mine.

Dirty Slut said:
Welcome to the club. Whether or not you were aware of it, this actually happens every month, and during every contest. And if you think that it is just snerts doing it then you are deluding yourself. Listen to those who consistantly say not to worry about the votes. Why? Because you may want to check out if they are entered in the same contest as you. Not to say that it is them, but me thinks they do protest too much.

DS

PS: Am I stirring up trouble? Probably. But then I'm not entered in this contest, am I.

Ouch. Did I really deserve that?

Black Tulip said:
I still don't get it. How do you know you got 1 votes? I just see the average drop and think the last (few) readers haven't liked it.

Well, it's all about.... arithmetic. No, NO. Don't run yet. It's not that bad... really!

Gone?

Multiple Voting

I am still a little unsure about the treatment of multiple votes. Let's say some guy decides he wants to read a story and get off. He chooses one and it is not very hot and does not get the job done, so he gives it a 3 and chooses another. This one is totally hot and he gets himself off big-time and gives the second one a 5. The second vote would be more legit than the first one but would it be deleted? Also, suppose a story is in several parts and someone reads every part and votes on every part. Would only the vote on Part 1 be acceptable?

whispering_surrender said:

Sorry to hear about your troubles though. I liked your story and sent you a feedback and everything. :)

Yes, Whispering
It was lovely feedback. Thanks again. :kiss:

Dirty Slut said:
Listen to those who consistantly say not to worry about the votes. Why? Because you may want to check out if they are entered in the same contest as you. Not to say that it is them, but me thinks they do protest too much.

Damned - busted!:D

Black Tulip said:

That is disappointing, but when I see the number of views I think it's amazing how many people actually looked at something I wrote down.

I do agree about hanging trolls by their ... whatever.
If somebody can explain to me what trolls are. :D

My first story was the victim of 1's apparently, but I have no clue as to what happens voteswise with my story for the Holiday Contest.

I just see the rate dropping and kiss $500 goodbye. :mad:

But hey, the other stories maybe are better than mine.

In order to track the votes you have to be very alert.
I made a spread sheet and checked every hour on the hour for four days.
Example:
One day last week at 1 PM there were 47 votes scoring 197 = 4.19
at 4 PM there were 48 votes scoring 202 = 4.21
With some easy arithmatic (202-197) = 5. So the single vote cast had to be a 5.

At 6 Pm the same day there were 51 Votes scoring 209 = 4.10
So 3 votes were cast. The 51st vote was a 5 (Thank you :)). So again some simple arithmatic:
209-202 = 7. Since one vote was a 5 that means 2 had to be 1's.

It isn't hard to figure out as long as you keep track.

For Dirty_Slut - In the interest of good relations, I don't think I will comment in public.

Re: Multiple Voting

Boxlicker101 said:
I am still a little unsure about the treatment of multiple votes. Let's say some guy decides he wants to read a story and get off. He chooses one and it is not very hot and does not get the job done, so he gives it a 3 and chooses another. This one is totally hot and he gets himself off big-time and gives the second one a 5. The second vote would be more legit than the first one but would it be deleted? Also, suppose a story is in several parts and someone reads every part and votes on every part. Would only the vote on Part 1 be acceptable?

What you are misunderstanding, Boxlicker is that when they talk about multiple votes they mean more than one vote made on the same story. So in your example both votes would count as legitimate for each story.

Multiple votes...

It's when one person votes more than once for one story. Laurel takes all of their votes out if she finds them.

DS

Jenny,

Thanks for explaining. It took a while, but I think I understand. I will not be tracking my votes like that though. I prefer ignorant bliss, I think.

And the trolls will be the persons voting more than once?
Must be very frustrated, very insecure people.

I'll just be happy with the many people taking the trouble to look at my story. And nobody can stop me assuming that every one of them finished reading it. :D

Black Tulip said:
And the trolls will be the persons voting more than once?

Kind of. They're also the ones who give every story in the top lists a 1. Just because it's in the top list. Or those people who send you anonymous feedback like "You're the tools of Satan, you'll rot in hell" coupled with a 1 vote just because it's smut. Even if it is good smut. :rolleyes:

I would like to think that not all 2 votes would get automatically cleaned out--when I give a vote of any level it's what I think it deserves.

One thing that's always sort of puzzled me--of four of the stories I've submitted, one was a sequel to the other and the other was a two-part series, and in both instances, the second in the series got an H but not the first. Not that I'm complaining--I'm glad if I got an H at all.

SlickTony said:
I would like to think that not all 2 votes would get automatically cleaned out--when I give a vote of any level it's what I think it deserves.

They don't weed out all the 2/1 votes. Double votes on the same story get cleaned out. I think low votes on a number of stories by the same person do too. Not sure though.

SlickTony said:
One thing that's always sort of puzzled me--of four of the stories I've submitted, one was a sequel to the other and the other was a two-part series, and in both instances, the second in the series got an H but not the first. Not that I'm complaining--I'm glad if I got an H at all.

Same here for my two part story. In my case, the first part didn't have much sex. ;)

Maybe the readers are in such a hurry to get to the next part of the fabulous story they're reading that they forget to vote on part one, thus low votes and no H.

Well, I can dream. :D

Originally posted by SlickTony

Posted by Damppanties
Same here for my two part story. In my case, the first part didn't have much sex.

I have only one multi-part story and it is a six part novella. Almost 3,000 people have read part 1 and fewer than 2,000 people have read Part 6. I can't figure out why because all six parts were posted at the same time. The scores range from 4.58 for the lowest to 5.00 for Part 6. I can't complain about those but the last part has only none votes and is not listed as hot. All the others are. I suppose a reader might get off on Part 1 and stop, while the next takes two parts, etc., and most people are all wanked out by the time they finish Part 5. I hope that's the reason, not boredom. Like almost all my stories, by the way, all six parts are pure smut.

I just looked at my collection and what I said was out of date, because both parts of my Lot series are H now. Woohoo!

My Disciple Bible class would probably have a whole herd of cows if they ever knew.

SlickTony said:
I just looked at my collection and what I said was out of date, because both parts of my Lot series are H now. Woohoo!

My Disciple Bible class would probably have a whole herd of cows if they ever knew.
SlickTony,

Maybe you should start teaching them from "The Song of Solomon?"

May I suggest chapter 4, verse 5: "Thy two breasts are like two roes that are twins, which feed among the lillies."

Or possibly chapter 7, verse 2: "Thy navel is like a round goblet, which wanteth not liquor:"

And if all else fails chapter 8, verse 3 might be in order: "His left hand should be under my head and his right hand should embrace me."

Right Rev. Rumple

Back