Ideas for getting me started

So my next dilemma. The preface to my story published earlier today. I have the next 2 “chapters” written, although I need to do a final edit and clean them up. The preface was kind of the “teaser” that occurs in the timeline between my next two submissions. Chapter 1 (the next submission) will be about how I met him and how it led up to the preface. Chapter 2 will immediately follow the Preface event. My question, should I repeat the Preface as an actual chapter in the correct succession of events? Or do I just make a note to the reader to go back to my Preface to fill in those details? I’m thinking some readers might skip the Preface and read chapter 1, then chapter 2, and wonder why is there a gap in events.
If by 'repeat' you mean republish the same material again, I'd say no. A note about chronology should be enough, and you can include a link to the preface if you want to be extra sure people will be able to find it.

So my next dilemma. The preface to my story published earlier today. I have the next 2 “chapters” written, although I need to do a final edit and clean them up. The preface was kind of the “teaser” that occurs in the timeline between my next two submissions. Chapter 1 (the next submission) will be about how I met him and how it led up to the preface. Chapter 2 will immediately follow the Preface event. My question, should I repeat the Preface as an actual chapter in the correct succession of events? Or do I just make a note to the reader to go back to my Preface to fill in those details? I’m thinking some readers might skip the Preface and read chapter 1, then chapter 2, and wonder why is there a gap in events.
I read the preface and I'm not sure of its purpose, but that may become clear once you post Chapters 1 & 2. That said, why not skip it and end the first chapter with what's in the preface? It would create the anticipation for chapter 2 with her exiting the bathroom naked.
Are you afraid that with chapter 1 being "just background" and having no sex scene, it would disappoint your readers? (Just a guess on my part)
My stuff

I read the preface and I'm not sure of its purpose, but that may become clear once you post Chapters 1 & 2. That said, why not skip it and end the first chapter with what's in the preface? It would create the anticipation for chapter 2 with her exiting the bathroom naked.
Are you afraid that with chapter 1 being "just background" and having no sex scene, it would disappoint your readers? (Just a guess on my part)
My stuff
That’s what I’m thinking, not republish it. The actual real timeline would be Ch 1, Preface, Ch 2, Ch 3, etc. I feel Ch 1 is still important to explain how we got there, even though no sex, but still contains enough anticipation and tension I think.

Hi all. I was encouraged by a friend at another site to maybe post some of my stories. He asked me to be bold and write about the experiences I had with a fwb that was mostly dom and bondage related type of relationship. And he thought it was really good what I wrote. But was just 2 of the times of many encounters. My question is would readers want to hear the leading up to part of the story, how we met and how the relationship developed? Or do most readers just want the steamy bits lol? Its kind of a long story and maybe sets the rest of the stories.
I like to read both types of beginnings. The lead up can be a great tease (I do love a great tease of all types). My personal, real life experience, is meeting on line (Dommes are few and far between) and meeting in a secluded cabin where the screams will not be heard. (I can be loud unless gagged and that has happened.) I hope this helps. You can always reach out if you want to know more.

In the story I was writing I wanted to put in a lot of background detail but I was worried it would bore people who were just there for the action. So I put it all in a chapter zero prologue with an author's note at the top telling people to skip to chapter 1 if they just wanted to get right to it. It seemed to work, the prologue actually got higher ratings than the first chapter. I don't know if that's good or bad.

Back