Malicious voting

I get that it has happened to many of you. I may not have asked my initial question the way I should have. After seeing this apparent down-voting effort across all my stories/chapters (3 stories, 34 chapters in total), I went to look at the top stories list for the gay category, and it seemed like those "top" stories (higher scoring than mine) also had their averages pushed down. I really was wondering if there's some sort of wider effort someone is pursuing. I was about to say, "and why?" But I guess you've all expressed opinions on that, and maybe we just can't know. I get that. I've actually been posting on Lit for years. I just haven't seen stuff like this happen.

Keep watching the toplist. If there's one that isn't dropping, but is instead bubbling toward the top, then you know who's overzealous fans are bombing the toplist.

If they're all getting bombed and there's no miraculous survivor, it's hardly unprecedented that there's just a troll who hates GM stories.

Regardless, the more stories that are getting bombed, the more likely it is that they'll all vanish the next time the sweeps roll around. Most likely in a couple of weeks when the Halloween contest's bone-cutter final sweep runs. If there's a pattern in the toplist, the same troll(s) is undoubtedly bombing any GM stories doing well in the contest — and GM stories tend to do well. The pattern will get picked up there, and the rest of their poo-flinging will get power-washed off the toplist as well.

Keep watching the toplist. If there's one that isn't dropping, but is instead bubbling toward the top, then you know who's overzealous fans are bombing the toplist.
And by "overzealous fans" you mean "the writer's alts", right? The readers here on Lit don't get tribal like sports fans.

Seems there's been a radical shakeup in the top list of Lesbian Sex over the weekend. Not sure what drove it but JCMcNeiley's "Tennis Star" which was (imo) rightfully at the top of the list almost as long as I can remember is now displaced downwards; there are also a number of other high-rated stories which have moved more than I'd expect "normal" traffic to move them.

Makes me wish I was tracking stuff daily... but then, that smells too much like my day job and I write for the tears I harvest fun.

Seems there's been a radical shakeup in the top list of Lesbian Sex over the weekend. Not sure what drove it but JCMcNeiley's "Tennis Star" which was (imo) rightfully at the top of the list almost as long as I can remember is now displaced downwards; there are also a number of other high-rated stories which have moved more than I'd expect "normal" traffic to move them.

Makes me wish I was tracking stuff daily... but then, that smells too much like my day job and I write for the tears I harvest fun.
Oooh, yeah, ouch. I had three at 4.93 and in the top twenty yesterday. I don't any more. Homophobic trolls hitting GM and Lesbian?

What's ironic, is that in Lesbian it hasn't really changed who is in the top twenty (apart from kicking me out) just which of their stories are top. It's still JC McNeilly, OneHitWanda and BrokenSpokes, which is as it should be.

I have only two stories. They are translated into English and so they our now four.

I noticed for the second story in English just after publishing some good votings (of my view followers, I assume) and then two "1" very quickly after.

As there were so few votings at that point it was clearly visible that it were two times a 1. I had before here a verbal fight about Gaza and I am quite sure that this was the revenge for my Israel-friendly opinion.

To be honest, I think that voting with a 1 is here practically showing hate to a person or a theme. I hate certain subjects (incest, non consensual) but would never give a 1 but simply do not read that. I think, most people act that way, so I think it was the expression of hate.

I have in addition to that a hater in the German section, too. He gave me an annihilating comment and presumably a 1. As he always wants to start a verbal fight in the German section with me I am only wondering why I get such a comment only on my first story. LOL

I disagree; voting here is largely bimodal and could probably be replaced with a thumbs up and thumbs down.
That's not my experience. Since my decision not to enter contests anymore, almost all the votes I've had have been 4s and 5s, with a few 2s and 3s thrown in. Someone took a dislike to two of my series and bombed them, but for the rest all the voting has been very nuanced.

I disagree; voting here is largely bimodal and could probably be replaced with a thumbs up and thumbs down.
According to my (limited) experience you get a 5 if someone loves it, a 4 if someone likes it and maybe a 3 if someone sees substantial problems in the story.

You get a 1 for personal reasons.

According to my (limited) experience you get a 5 if someone loves it, a 4 if someone likes it and maybe a 3 if someone sees substantial problems in the story.

I tend to agree, based on my occasionally overzealous tracking. 3's are close to never, 2's are a bit more common, but 1, 4, and 5 are by far the most common vote.

I suspect 2's are an attempt at camouflage.

If they're all getting bombed and there's no miraculous survivor, it's hardly unprecedented that there's just a troll who hates GM stories.

Regardless, the more stories that are getting bombed, the more likely it is that they'll all vanish the next time the sweeps roll around. Most likely in a couple of weeks when the Halloween contest's bone-cutter final sweep runs. If there's a pattern in the toplist, the same troll(s) is undoubtedly bombing any GM stories doing well in the contest — and GM stories tend to do well. The pattern will get picked up there, and the rest of their poo-flinging will get power-washed off the toplist as well.
Thanks! Makes sense.

Oooh, yeah, ouch. I had three at 4.93 and in the top twenty yesterday. I don't any more. Homophobic trolls hitting GM and Lesbian?
It's not just GM and Lesbian, the entire T/CD list has been hit. Where eight months ago, the top 20 had scores in the 4.93 - 4.90 range, now the 25 highest all time scores are between 4.88 and 4.85. The next 120 or so all sit at 4.84. I've been lucky and have had several in the top 250, including my one blue W that sat at 4.93 for over two years. My number in the top 250 hasn't dropped, but almost all of my stories in the top 250 now sit in that great morass at 4.84. Not meaning to brag or complain, just an example of how this appears to be a very widespread issue. And to the person that suggested to look for specific authors that seem to be 'immune' not in T/CD. The same names permeate the all time top list. We've all been hit.

As for uno-bombong, I wasted a day and did some math a month or so ago. I double checked my numbers from that research and my previous top story had 1171 votes when it sat at 4.93. it now sits at 4.84 with 1234 votes. That's an average new vote of ~3. I could speculate and get all Alex Jones, but I also noticed that the stories getting posted have changed. Some authors that scored very well have stopped posting. There are also fewer romance stories like the ones I like to write and seem to be a lot more forcedfem/sissy type stories getting published in T/CD than before. Maybe tastes and participants are changing.

While it's curious, and certainly annoying, it's not really worth worrying about. Sure, I'd like that 4.93 back, but in reality, who cares?

It's not just GM and Lesbian, the entire T/CD list has been hit. Where eight months ago, the top 20 had scores in the 4.93 - 4.90 range, now the 25 highest all time scores are between 4.88 and 4.85. The next 120 or so all sit at 4.84. I've been lucky and have had several in the top 250, including my one blue W that sat at 4.93 for over two years. My number in the top 250 hasn't dropped, but almost all of my stories in the top 250 now sit in that great morass at 4.84. Not meaning to brag or complain, just an example of how this appears to be a very widespread issue. And to the person that suggested to look for specific authors that seem to be 'immune' not in T/CD. The same names permeate the all time top list. We've all been hit.

As for uno-bombong, I wasted a day and did some math a month or so ago. I double checked my numbers from that research and my previous top story had 1171 votes when it sat at 4.93. it now sits at 4.84 with 1234 votes. That's an average new vote of ~3. I could speculate and get all Alex Jones, but I also noticed that the stories getting posted have changed. Some authors that scored very well have stopped posting. There are also fewer romance stories like the ones I like to write and seem to be a lot more forcedfem/sissy type stories getting published in T/CD than before. Maybe tastes and participants are changing.

While it's curious, and certainly annoying, it's not really worth worrying about. Sure, I'd like that 4.93 back, but in reality, who cares?
You're right about the "who cares" approach. I don't get anything out of this. But it still pissed me off.

And what you're talking about--those averages--is what I was getting at. It does seem like someone is working to pull down lots of scores.

Anyhow, thanks for this response!

Have you been seeing clearly malicious down-voting? Is it just me, or is someone on a campaign against lots of us?

If someone doesn't like what I write, fine, but in the past couple of weeks, I'm getting what appears to be a campaign of 1-votes. The clearest is one chapter of a series of mine where it had a 4.9 average on 302 votes. In the past couple of weeks, it has kept dropping, now down to 4.83. And it's being done across everything I've written.

I had a smaller issue like this once before, reported it, and the admins fixed it. This time, I've reported it repeatedly, but so far no action. I guess they'll get around to it, but this is really frustrating. What's wrong with someone that they'd spend time doing something like this?
When I initially published some stories here on LitE, within the first year I had several "Red-H" stories. Then when trying to better learn the writing process and engaging others in these forums, ... I've attracted some 1-bombing trolls. All of my Red-H's disappeared.

And I even noticed several times that after expressing a difference of opinion here in the forums, SEVERAL of my stories would receive another 1 in rapid succession over the next hour. There are those who are so dedicated to their "craft" of hatred that every story I post now (for the past two years) quickly receive 1's.

That's why I dove into the "Loving Wives" cesspool and focus my writing there, where 1-bombing is a game. My only two Red-H's remaining are a scifi and a recent essay, but "never say never" as those can also be bombed, I just don't care.

When such hatred can manipulate the ratings, it only serves to prove that the ratings and Red-H mean nothing. You can create other IDs and rate your own stories a 5 or find ways to browser anonymously to add more 5 ratings to your stories to maintain the level which makes you feel good.

Sniping in the top lists happens often from what I have seen. It doesn't take much effort to bring a story down when it sits on a really high rating. Yet it's quite hard to move a story with a decent number of votes from, say, 4.92 to 4.95. It would take a really dedicated troll and a good amount of time. If that happened, it's possible that some stories were caught in a partial sweep? When sweeps erase a couple of 1*, the scores really bounce up.

Often, yes but you can still get a 1 for writing a bad story.

If I were to read 100 totally random stories on lit and rate them, I'm sure that 60 or 70 of them I would rate a 1. Of course if someone reads something that he feels is that bad, the chances of him finishing it would be slim ... yet from time to time people do.

I think more often than for someone not liking you personally in the forums or in the chat, people will give you a 1 because they just don't agree with your story. Your story was fine but you gave the 'wrong' ending or your character didn't behave the 'right' way or you didn't present the kink the 'proper' way (you gave a cruel Dom and a Dom should ALWAYS be caring, fuck you 1, etc).

But yes, someone gets pissed off at you in the forums and suddenly your entire catalog has a bunch of downvotes. It's obviously personal. There are some very petty people in this forum, and not just the politics forum, I'm talking about the AH.

When I initially published some stories here on LitE, within the first year I had several "Red-H" stories. Then when trying to better learn the writing process and engaging others in these forums, ... I've attracted some 1-bombing trolls. All of my Red-H's disappeared.

And I even noticed several times that after expressing a difference of opinion here in the forums, SEVERAL of my stories would receive another 1 in rapid succession over the next hour. There are those who are so dedicated to their "craft" of hatred that every story I post now (for the past two years) quickly receive 1's.

That's why I dove into the "Loving Wives" cesspool and focus my writing there, where 1-bombing is a game. My only two Red-H's remaining are a scifi and a recent essay, but "never say never" as those can also be bombed, I just don't care.

When such hatred can manipulate the ratings, it only serves to prove that the ratings and Red-H mean nothing. You can create other IDs and rate your own stories a 5 or find ways to browser anonymously to add more 5 ratings to your stories to maintain the level which makes you feel good.
Nah. Not worth making other profiles or whatever. But thanks for the feedback! I think I have some comfort in knowing it's not just me. ;-)

Often, yes but you can still get a 1 for writing a bad story.

If I were to read 100 totally random stories on lit and rate them, I'm sure that 60 or 70 of them I would rate a 1. Of course if someone reads something that he feels is that bad, the chances of him finishing it would be slim ... yet from time to time people do.

I think more often than for someone not liking you personally in the forums or in the chat, people will give you a 1 because they just don't agree with your story. Your story was fine but you gave the 'wrong' ending or your character didn't behave the 'right' way or you didn't present the kink the 'proper' way (you gave a cruel Dom and a Dom should ALWAYS be caring, fuck you 1, etc).

But yes, someone gets pissed off at you in the forums and suddenly your entire catalog has a bunch of downvotes. It's obviously personal. There are some very petty people in this forum, and not just the politics forum, I'm talking about the AH.
Yes, and it could be that. Well, not the forums. This is my first time here. Before this, I only posted stories and didn't join these discussions. But it's possible, especially for my Freshman Roommates series, that someone just didn't like it. I know some don't like such a very long story. And some just want sex, whereas this has a long-building romantic element. So any of that could set someone off. Or maybe they're just being nasty? But whatever the case, I'm trying to let it go.

I tend to agree, based on my occasionally overzealous tracking. 3's are close to never, 2's are a bit more common, but 1, 4, and 5 are by far the most common vote.

Yes, I would agree, but as someone who does get a fare share of 3s and 2s, I can speculate that a higher level of literature gets marked harder, not out of any malice, but that the reader who seeks out higher level prose and story understands the value of a 3 vs a 4 vs a 5 and is more apt to give something good a 4 and something decent a 3. The more stroke reader is more often simply going to vote 5 if turned on and not vote at all if not, so stroke stories that please probably score a tad higher than plot/character stories that please. How much higher? Dunno, probably not very much but it's probably a factor. An equally good stroker vs an equally good plot story, the stroker will probably score a tick or two higher.

Or you wrote in 2P POV, or the mother shaves, or you're three chapters in and the sister isn't pregnant yet...

As it happens, I had downloaded my stats yesterday. So I know my stories all dropped by 0.05 after just two or three votes, to take them from the top twenty to the fourth page of the top list somewhere. Shows how little it takes...

Back