Medical education

God complex...not really

But I have studied lots of science. I 've studied chemistry science, physical science, engineering science, and I've probably even studied omniscience at some time or another.

--Waterkemist

Re: God complex...not really

waterkemist said:
But I have studied lots of science. I 've studied chemistry science, physical science, engineering science, and I've probably even studied omniscience at some time or another.

--Waterkemist
:D

True and false

In the large intestine you do absorbe a minimal amount of glucose (especially if you put the catheter way up into the ascendant or transverse colon) but you also excrete al lot of water at a very fast rate (as a matter of fact you can get dehydrated and die).
So the large intestine is not useful for "feeding" a person not to use as a source of energy.

Pure said:
OK, here's a question.

It's asserted in a link supplied in the enema thread "albanypowerexchange" that glucose can be absorbed through the colon, as a source of energy.

True or false?

re: hospitals

My girlfriend had a misphap with a plunge type coffeemaker and was sprayed in her face and eyes with hot grounds. I put her under a shower to cool the area and flush out any remaining grounds. Due to scheduling, she ended up going to the emergencyroom to get an eye examination on her own. And she was glad that I wasn't there with her.
None of the staff were willing to believe her story so she had to repeat it over and over to her chagrin. She already felt stupid enough. Everybody asked whether there was domestic abuse repeatedly and in none too subtle ways. She said that she felt they were gossiping about her condition, if just to shame her into admitting that she was an abuse victim. She wondered whether there was some sort of reward for catching a domestic abuse case, they were so zealous.
I do not take physical abuse lightly. I make a really bad sadist even when requested in cyber, but I was freaked out after she told me what she went through. It's so easy to imagine a vindictive and sadly naive girl friend implying anything to that barrage of questioning and ruining some unsuspecting man's life.

For those of you who are in the medical field where this kind of questioning has been mandated by law, what answer can a woman give to end the interrogation and put the issue to rest?

"Everybody asked whether there was domestic abuse repeatedly and in none too subtle ways."

One bad: 'Everybody' should not be involved in the collection of data from a patient from whom abuse is suspected. Ideally one or two caregivers maximum should be involved in this type of questioning AFTER establishing a good rapport with the patient. Your girlfriend's experience indicates a poorly prepared health care facility for this type of situations.

One Good: Sensitive questions should be right up to the point and without leaving any space for misunderstandings. It is not nice either to ask them not to answer them, but it is the best way to find the truth which int he end benefits the patient.

"None of the staff were willing to believe her story"

If she told that you helped her to flush her eyes and you are not accompanying her to the hospital, that raises a red flag because abusers usually do not show at the facilities for fear of being caught. Personally I believe they meant good. What happens is that ver often caregivers are walking a fine line between not doing enough and doing too much.

"where this kind of questioning has been mandated by law, what answer can a woman give to end the interrogation and put the issue to rest?"

In the U.S., it is mandated by law that physicians, nurses and social workers investigate any situation that could indicate abuse whether they are at the workplace or anywhere else, if not they are liable for neglect of a patient (yes, if you are a nurse, and watched your neighbor beating up her kids and you don't report it to the authorities, and somebody finds out and reports you, you are liable for neglect). That alone puts health care professionals on a sticky situation. However, this does not imply that they have to be extra suspicious and/or act unprofessionally

The best way to put a situation like this to rest is to ask to speak to whoever is in charge at the moment and tell him/her that you are being questioned over and over, that what you are telling is the truth, and ask this person to inform everybody in the team that you do not want to answer any more questions about this issue. If after that, they keep questioning you, you can sue them.

Last edited:
re: incessant questioning

ty, TX
this event happened a few years ago and I still feel short of breath whenever I think about it. I might be imagining it as worse than it could have been but who can say?
Moreover I see a bit of a catch 22 in your explanation. If even a unqualified neighbor can be held negligent for not reporting evidence of abuse, then isn't that enough to explain the overzealous nature of the hospital staff. To better explain what I meant by everybody above, I have this scenario.
She walks up to the admitting desk. The personnel there suspect abuse so they ask her about it. The physician who examines her eyes suspects abuse so he asks about it. Then a notified social worker comes on the scene....
I suppose even a passing janitor and cafeteria worker would also have to say something according to the eyewitness neighbor standard. okay, that's admittedly an extreme example.

But then, if there is a meaningful answer to any of this, what could I have done if I had accompanied her. If my absence could be used to imply guilt, would my presence have done us any better?
I don't mean to revisit this issue but I am certain that I am not the first dominant to have worried about a similar situation with his her sub and an encounter with hospital personnel. Perhaps others can share similar experiences or closecalls and tell how they resolved them?

Back