Mistakes you should never make

I noticed those issues when I started reading your story.

I had a similar problem when posting. So, my habit now it to write the story to about 90-95% complete, then format it to post. I copy & paste it into the site's text post screen and save it. When reviewing the online version and before clicking to "Publish", I copy and paste that version into a text-to-speech program and listen to it again. That audio version tells me all of the grammar and context mistakes.

But, even then, I miss some shit.
The annoying thing was I’d done all the checks - minus the audio version and even sent the correct copy to my proof reader (who normally spots things I don’t)

Only have my own stupid to blame for copy pasting the draft not the final version… in which I’m sure there’ll still exists the odd issue

The annoying thing was I’d done all the checks - minus the audio version and even sent the correct copy to my proof reader (who normally spots things I don’t)

Only have my own stupid to blame for copy pasting the draft not the final version… in which I’m sure there’ll still exists the odd issue
It can getting confusing if there several drafts in your possession. It might help if you take your time after pasting it into the submission box - there is no rush. Read through what's in that box a couple of times before pushing the submit button.

I have had cases where I'm I'm working on a draft and I forgot there already is one in the submission box. Oops! Thus I had to go through and make them in sync with each other.

At least you didn't go in against a Sicilian when death was on the line.
4zI.gif

Have only just realised that in the course of making my most recent submission I've cut and paste an early draft not a proof read/edited version of the tale.

Surprised that it got to over 5,500 reads with a dozen likes before anyone pointed it out.

Along with the hideous spelling and grammar of the draft the fact that one of the main characters names flip flops from being Pippa to Rosie must be hideously jarring for the reader.
Messing up names is a common occurrence especially when you decide to change them in a draft.
I did not say this in the comment section of the story but I will say it here.
The way you presented the MC at the beginning was brilliant. The language showed what a pompous ass he really was. Especially since he admitted he did not quite the other's PUBLIC success. They were all 'friends' for years and now the bonds of friendship had loosened.
I expected you to switch to a far less formal, less eloquent internal narration once he was on his own but you did not. At the end, I still considered him still a pompous dickhead. He was an unlikable fellow from start to finish. He did not even have the courtesy to tell young Pippa the condom broke and she might want to consider the Plan B pill option.
It would be interesting to see what Daddy thinks of his daughter's problem if she should fall pregnant, much less his own wife's fall grace. Such are the things that bring about violent retribution in many LW stories.
Others here would expect the father to just accept the problem with a British stiff upper lip or at most a gnashing of teeth should the MC's transgressions be revealed..

I had a similar problem when posting. So, my habit now it to write the story to about 90-95% complete, then format it to post. I copy & paste it into the site's text post screen and save it. When reviewing the online version and before clicking to "Publish", I copy and paste that version into a text-to-speech program and listen to it again. That audio version tells me all of the grammar and context mistakes.
I almost never even read that confirmation page. The times I generally have a massive discrepancy is when I switch fro where I keep adraft version of the story to where I write it. Sometimes, multiple but different forms of the story exist.

Messing up names is a common occurrence especially when you decide to change them in a draft.
I did not say this in the comment section of the story but I will say it here.
The way you presented the MC at the beginning was brilliant. The language showed what a pompous ass he really was. Especially since he admitted he did not quite the other's PUBLIC success. They were all 'friends' for years and now the bonds of friendship had loosened.
I expected you to switch to a far less formal, less eloquent internal narration once he was on his own but you did not. At the end, I still considered him still a pompous dickhead. He was an unlikable fellow from start to finish. He did not even have the courtesy to tell young Pippa the condom broke and she might want to consider the Plan B pill option.
It would be interesting to see what Daddy thinks of his daughter's problem if she should fall pregnant, much less his own wife's fall grace. Such are the things that bring about violent retribution in many LW stories.
Others here would expect the father to just accept the problem with a British stiff upper lip or at most a gnashing of teeth should the MC's transgressions be revealed..
To be fair that’s the persona of my protagonist nailed on… I say protagonist when I mean antagonist

His actions in this story pale by comparison to his overall story arc

There are very few happy endings in my tales as thats the way I prefer to write/capture my central characters… irrespective of how in the main readers would prefer them to behave or receive their comeuppance

It’s the cliche but I write my version of the story in my head for me not for them

And bad people very often get away with bad things

Back