NaPoWriMo Chat, Comments, Commiseration

Winter Harbor Tritina

On Schoodic Mountain we are saturated in sky.
Rocky slopes creep by and by toward shore,
gulls soar and cry, boats bob on green and gray.

Our fingers froze that afternoon when gray
mist foretold season's end to cloud our sweeping sky
with storm. We picked our way down to the shore.

A foghorn blew, boats were returning to the shore,
clanging with bells and distant calls as rain fell gray
and changed our day, painted a pallor on the sky.

We ran laughing from sky and shore to shelter from the gray.

That's a lovely poetic painting of nature scenery. Had to read it three times, since after finding some ending/in-line rhymes (sky/by/cry; shore/soar), I started to look for more (gray/wax in the 2nd; gray/day in the 3rd). But I finally managed to see the colors, weather and landscape bits too. Well done.

That's a lovely poetic painting of nature scenery. Had to read it three times, since after finding some ending/in-line rhymes (sky/by/cry; shore/soar), I started to look for more (gray/wax in the 2nd; gray/day in the 3rd). But I finally managed to see the colors, weather and landscape bits too. Well done.

Thank you. I'm glad you liked it and appreciate your feedback. :rose:

I did throw some internal rhymes in to make the poem less prose-ish, maybe a little more lyrical. I was mainly focused on the end line repetitions. If I edit it though I'll probably try to make those rhymes more consistent across the strophes. :)

Yay, Champ! Lovely end to your thirty. :)

Amusing that the Ts and the Cs are done. :D

Angeline, Moochie, Levitatingbed, Piscator, Champ, Tzara(the overachiever said in jealousy more than anything else :p) Snow, Lyricalli, Remec (although I don’t believe you’ll finish,)
mer and Neo it’s been a pleasure reading your work and writing with you!

I now need to put down the phone for a while, I’m tapped out!

Last edited:
Congrats to all you poets and thank you for a month of great reading, collegiality and inspiration. Our little oasis produces some wonderful poetry and I love how we all learn from one another. Whether you wrote a few poems or 30, you all made the challenge a big success. I especially love how many of us have shown form poetry some love. There was a time when it was anathema around here. We've come a long way from those dark ages thanks to encouragement from folks like Tzara and UnderYourSpell.

And thank you Calli for making this such a fun, comfortable lollapalooza. Now will someone pass the scotch or wine or not bogart that joint? :heart:

Congrats to all you poets and thank you for a month of great reading, collegiality and inspiration. Our little oasis produces some wonderful poetry and I love how we all learn from one another. Whether you wrote a few poems or 30, you all made the challenge a big success. I especially love how many of us have shown form poetry some love. There was a time when it was anathema around here. We've come a long way from those dark ages thanks to encouragement from folks like Tzara and UnderYourSpell.

And thank you Calli for making this such a fun, comfortable lollapalooza. Now will someone pass the scotch or wine or not bogart that joint? :heart:

I’m thinking we need all three!

Maybe platters and top shelf can be provided by Harry and Butters from the bar :p

Last edited:
And, that's a wrap!

Unless Tzara, Snow, or someone else wants to throw in some extra credit in these last hours.

Big congrats to Angie, Moochie, Piscator, and Lev for putting in their thirty!

And, Remec, you came close with that big push, and with some damn good poetry, towards the end. Was lovely having you with us. :)

Hopefully, I'll see you all in the next challenge I think I'm doing, as well as Piscator's month-long challenge in May. But, first.. a recovery break for a week or two.

Thank you all (Neo and Mer, too!) for taking part in this challenge. I never imagined so many would join in or how good, how fun, it would be. It's been a crazy month, and even when I struggled, you made me so glad I instigated this :heart:

Angeline, Moochie, Levitatingbed, Piscator, Champ, Tzara(the overachiever said in jealousy more than anything else :p) Snow, Lyricalli, Remec (although I don’t believe you’ll finish,
) mer and Neo it’s been a pleasure reading your work and writing with you!

I now need to put down the phone for a while, I’m tapped out!

Taking a deep breath or 30.

As tod said congrats to all who took part 0 now to go back and read them all.

And, that's a wrap!

Unless Tzara, Snow, or someone else wants to throw in some extra credit in these last hours.

Big congrats to Angie, Moochie, Piscator, and Lev for putting in their thirty!

And, Remec, you came close with that big push, and with some damn good poetry, towards the end. Was lovely having you with us. :)

Hopefully, I'll see you all in the next challenge I think I'm doing, as well as Piscator's month-long challenge in May. But, first.. a recovery break for a week or two.

Thank you all (Neo and Mer, too!) for taking part in this challenge. I never imagined so many would join in or how good, how fun, it would be. It's been a crazy month, and even when I struggled, you made me so glad I instigated this :heart:
Thank you, Calli, for starting this thread/challenge. As others have said, there's been a lot of good poetry written here, and I've really enjoyed reading each day's submissions. My intention is to comment on many of the poems, but please don't hold me to that—I'm about three weeks behind in my philosophy class, so I may be dormant for a while.

It was, though, really great to see our small but dedicated community write such interesting and divergently themed poems.

You all help me see the world with more clarity. So, thanks. :rose:

. . . Tzara(the overachiever said in jealousy more than anything else :p) . . .
Tod, you write so honestly and well, it's all I can do to write more than you. As if that worked.

Kind of a guy one-upmanship thing. You should consider trying to get your work published, dude. Your best work is that good.

I'm awed by all of you. Remember, even if you didn't get all 30 poems in in April. Keep going and I'll still love your words... Helluva 30 days though folks. I enjoyed reading you even if I didn't often say it

I can only agree, it's been 30 fun days reading through all the contributions
...and a notes app is a real lifesaver for ideas, esp. in the nites.

It was an honor and a privilege to share the space with all of you. North of 300 poems in a month? We can all be proud of that - and to a poet, we all wrote some good poems in here. Those last two weeks, I didn't get in here to comment the way I would have liked to, but I read all of them and I know that I'll be coming back to this thread a lot in the future.

Thanks again to Calli for getting this going, and thanks and congrats to everyone that contributed.

I hope you share a picture when she has her coronation :)

attachment.php

between sand and stones
The Queens enthroned
till 'you lived it for long'
and a peasant, again, alone​

Attachments

• africanqueens.jpg
    africanqueens.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 2
Back