New Author Profiles BETA Feedback Request

It looks great. I think it could be cool if there was some way (a third tab on top of alphabetic/by date?) for authors to order their own stories, so they can promote what they consider their best work at the top of their page.

Ditto what SouthernCrossFire said -- for my series, the word "parts" is inserted where it should say "comments."

I generally like what you've done with this. It looks much better, and it provides more information.

My one major concern is that this layout makes it considerably more difficult for a prospective reader quickly to scan the author's submission list. I have two ideas about that.

One is to provide readers an option to toggle to a submission list that lacks much of this information so it looks like the old list.

The other is to provide additional sorting systems so that readers can order stories in other ways that might assist them in finding what they want: sort by number of views, sort by number of favorites, sort by score. I think score, in particular, intuitively is likely something that prospective readers will look for.

I think the newest sorting places series according to when their metadata was last edited. I would prefer sorting by the publication date of the most recently published story within the series.

Also, +1 to everyone asking for a manual sort.

I just tried clicking on a series to collapse the series. Could that be made to work? It feels quite intuitive to me, and it would let me control the expanded/collapsed view on a per-series basis as others have requested.

The "Author Stats" table on the "About" Page has a box for "My Comments." It would be great if clicking on that box would let you see the author's comments. Now we can see our own comments on our own Control Panel, but we can't readily see anybody else's. Making author's comments publicly available in this way might encourage more responsible commenting,

Thank you for the feedback so far.

We're aware of the Comments showing up as Parts issue. We're also working on the Series Parts that are duplicated (as standalone Stories outside of Series).

Some of the feedback is about the Story Card design - which is useful, but not specific to the new Author Profiles. The modern touch/mobile friendly design (Tags Portal, etc.), features uniform Story Cards for most of the site. The modern Story Cards are bigger than the listings on the Classic Lit design by necessity, since touch design standards require space around clickable elements for obvious reasons.

We have prototypes for an expanded and a compact Story Card, but those are separate design elements from the Author Profile. If/when they are rolled out, they would be rolled out site wide wherever Story Cards are used.

Thanks again for the feedback, and looking forward to more. :D
My preference as a reader would be for there to be a more distinct and obvious difference between chapter and series submissions.

I'll start reading an incomplete series but I won't start reading an incomplete chapter story.

As a writer, I'll jump on the story length bandwagon. While the number of pages would likely be most telling for readers, the device the story is being read on will determine that number, so I would settle for the word count at a minimum. This really would help with more reliable view stats.

While the number of pages would likely be most telling for readers, the device the story is being read on will determine that number, so I would settle for the word count at a minimum.

Huh? That's news to me.

I just checked three different stories on my PC, Laptop, Phone, Tablet, and even on my SmartTV. Page counts stayed consistent across devices.

*EDIT* Now that I think about it, the page number is part of the URL. That means it HAS to be determined server-side, not client-side.

Last edited:
Maybe said before, but a weighted average rating on series would be helpful.
Would you weight on number of views of each part? number of votes for each part? or something else?

Not against the idea. Just thinking about the detail. My pref would be # views

Would you weight on number of views of each part? number of votes for each part? or something else?

Weighted by votes.

For each story multiply the rating by the number of votes. Add up all the resulting numbers. Divide by the total number of votes.

Emily

While we're at it, lets get a histogram graph of views per chapter. Shooting for the moon here...

I dig the look, and the way the works are displayed. My series have some odd numbers displaying for how many parts they contain: one five-part series says it has 63, a two-parter says 32.

I've got that as well. I don't recall writing a 374 part series!

Other than that glitch, it looks great.

Back