Nolte: Democrat-run St. Louis enters ‘Doom Loop’

Again - you fail to recognize that the article in the OP is not discussing housing. Stop providing such data as it does not dispute the position.

You’ve made the mistake of thinking real estate can be neatly compartmentalized. Empty office buildings become residential. It’s happening all over the US.

Real estate activity of any type is a strong indicator of a successful local economy.

You’ve made the mistake of thinking real estate can be neatly compartmentalized. Empty office buildings become residential. It’s happening all over the US.

Real estate activity of any type is a strong indicator of a successful local economy.
The article is specifically discussing businesses and office space and getting people downtown to increase both. Saying real estate is still doing well isn't addressing that. It may be a small part, but obviously people aren't getting downtown into cities and so businesses are in a doom loop.

Youve made the mistake of not addressing the OP.

The article is specifically discussing businesses and office space and getting people downtown to increase both. Saying real estate is still doing well isn't addressing that. It may be a small part, but obviously people aren't getting downtown into cities and so businesses are in a doom loop.

Youve made the mistake of not addressing the OP.

The article is the usual “blue cities are failing” idiocy.

Downtown businesses aren’t in a “doom loop”. That’s right wing propagandist nonsense. People are downtown in all of these cities to work, to play and importantly to live.

I pointed out the thriving development of blue cities. Real estate investment isn’t made in failing cities.

PS: I don’t need your permission to make any argument I want. 😄 Try to get over yourself.

The article is the usual “blue cities are failing” idiocy.
Specifically discussing a doom loop.

Downtown businesses aren’t in a “doom loop”. That’s right wing propagandist nonsense. People are downtown in all of these cities to work, to play and importantly to live.
Many cities are in a doom loop thanks to work from home policies and are struggling to change approaches to revitalize to bring folks there.

The concept is not wrong, but it relies on office workers that are no longer working there

I pointed out the thriving development of blue cities. Real estate investment isn’t made in failing cities.

PS: I don’t need your permission to make any argument I want. 😄 Try to get over yourself.
Your argument ignores an actual problem.

Post stupid arguments all you want. Downtowns aren't thriving. I need two hands to count long term local restaurants that have closed permanently downtown here in the past two years.

As of December, offices accounted for 41% of the value of distressed US properties, which stood at nearly $86 billion, according to MSCI. Potential distress, which refers to the erosion of an asset’s current financial standing, is at nearly $235 billion across all property types.

Apartments are high on that list, with more than $67 billion in potential distress. More than 30% of that value is tied to buildings bought in the last three years, many at peak prices.
https://www.fa-mag.com/news/the-brutal-reality-of-plunging-office-values-is-here-76955.html

Post stupid arguments all you want. Downtowns aren't thriving. I need two hands to count long term local restaurants that have closed permanently downtown here in the past two years.

Restaurants? You’re using the longevity of restaurants as an economic measure? Restaurants come and go. Nature of the beast. How many new restaurants have opened in their place?

The downtown of my local smallish city has 51 restaurants. (I counted them on Yelp.) There are no currently vacant restaurant spaces.

This article about The best restaurants in downtown and midtown St Louis includes 67 and I doubt it’s exhaustive since it’s a best list. Does that sound like people don’t go there?

I’ve been to Baltimore and Nashville in recent months. There were crowds of people out and about in both downtowns.

Maybe your city is a weird anomaly? Maybe you just don’t go downtown and mistakenly think nobody else does?

Anyway, post stupid arguments all you want.

Restaurants? You’re using the longevity of restaurants as an economic measure? Restaurants come and go. Nature of the beast. How many new restaurants have opened in their place?
It's literally a symptom of the issue.

The downtown of my local smallish city has 51 restaurants. (I counted them on Yelp.) There are no currently vacant restaurant spaces.
Of course you did. Now show me the commercial real estate values as well as debt owed by developers, year over year.

This article about The best restaurants in downtown and midtown St Louis includes 67 and I doubt it’s exhaustive since it’s a best list. Does that sound like people don’t go there?

I’ve been to Baltimore and Nashville in recent months. There were crowds of people out and about in both downtowns.

Maybe your city is a weird anomaly? Maybe you just don’t go downtown and mistakenly think nobody else does?
Maybe me going downtown and enjoying a night out once or twice a month and enjoying myself isn't a valid economic measure. But a better indicator is that I (and many others) used to be there every single day, spending money there every single day and my employer has people in the buildings they invested money in every single day.

Now, it's once or twice a month at best.

Anyway, post stupid arguments all you want.
Indeed you have yet again.

Another blue city with a thriving downtown. Smaller city this time, demonstrating that it’s not just the big cities that are doing well. Not a “doom loop” in sight. 😄

Knoxville development news

That site has all kinds of other news about their downtown. It’s obviously a lively and successful place. Those darn blue cities are just too successful!

Back