Pet Peeve

This thread proves why it's such a good thing to be a Swede. I can always use the Yes-English-Is-My-Second-Language - escape card.:D

Alex De Kok said:
Why, Lou, man, ah didn't knaa yer kud taak Geordie, like.

Purr, my dearly beloved is giving me a little digital voice recorder for my forthcoming birthday (date withheld!) so maybe, just maybe, but divvent haad yer breath, kiddar.

Alex

PS: NaNoWriMo aren't taking sign-ups 'til 3pm Pacific, so I guess it will be tomorrow for me.

Why aye, Alex, man. They've just started accepting sign-ups. That's canny leik, ya knaa?

Lou

Svenskaflicka said:
This thread proves why it's such a good thing to be a Swede. I can always use the Yes-English-Is-My-Second-Language - escape card.:D
Ah, Svenskaya, I'd love to hear your voice.

Perdita :heart:

Well, I've been told that I speak good English, a little upper-classy like, with a few American expressions thrown in, and sometimes with a Swedish accent. Also, for some reason, whenever I sperak English, my voice drops a little, making it sound more husky and full of base.

I'll post a recording as soon as I can afford to buy a microphone.:(

Oh god, voice recordings.

So who wants to hear me sing the Welsh National Anthem then? In Welsh, of course...

raphy said:
Oh god, voice recordings.

So who wants to hear me sing the Welsh National Anthem then? In Welsh, of course...

I've never been sure what the Welsh national anthem is. I've narrowed it down to two possibilities: "Bread From Evanses" or the one that goes "Mai beeth enny wee weddy preo ar gath weddy scrappo Johnny bach" (Only learned it from a Welsh bloke, [a touring Russian Choir version] never seen it written down.)

Gauche

perdita said:
I love Welshman.
Dear Perdita,
Not to mention Arubans, Hawaiians, Hondurans, Tierra del Fuegans, Mongolians, Madagascans, Lascars, and Levantines. Just to name a few.
MG

gauchecritic said:
I've never been sure what the Welsh national anthem is. I've narrowed it down to two possibilities: "Bread From Evanses" or the one that goes "Mai beeth enny wee weddy preo ar gath weddy scrappo Johnny bach" (Only learned it from a Welsh bloke, [a touring Russian Choir version] never seen it written down.)

Gauche

*grins at Gauche* .. Yeah, the English always say that ....

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi.. Or alternative pronounciation - My hen had a haddock and had it for tea..

Raph, spitting over everyone, as befits a Welsh speaker..

p.s. 'dita - I have NO idea what my voice is.. An odd thing for a singer/songwriter to say, I guess..

Last edited:
Didn't know you were Welsh Holo. Not from the splot by any chance? Do you know someone called Greg Owens...

What am I talking about. Of course you know someone called Greg Owens. Might as well have asked if you know Dai the milk.:rolleyes: Look you.

Gauche

Can we still add word peeves?

Mine: "for all intensive purposes."

All those other ones too. I was in a writing workshop with a high school teacher who used "would of" in an essay about teaching. I was very upset about it.

gauchecritic said:
Didn't know you were Welsh Holo. Not from the splot by any chance? Do you know someone called Greg Owens...

What am I talking about. Of course you know someone called Greg Owens. Might as well have asked if you know Dai the milk.:rolleyes: Look you.

Gauche

*laughs* ..

I'm Welsh by nationality. English by education. Neither by birth.

Go figure..

DarlingNikki said:
Can we still add word peeves?

Mine: "for all intensive purposes."

All those other ones too. I was in a writing workshop with a high school teacher who used "would of" in an essay about teaching. I was very upset about it.

Upset about how much teachers don't know? I despaired from from first term to teaching practice then decided I couldn't work with people like that. So I didn't. Only ever had this disillusionment lifted once.

Maybe if they start the phrase properly they'll get it right: To all intents...

Gauche

Cliches are cliches because they're true...

Those who can, do. Those who can't.. Well, I'm sure you all know how it ends.

Well, in what place?
In narration, it's a sign of a person who can't write.
In dialogue, it's realistic. I'll admit that I usually
write it as "would've."
Similarly, I use "'cause" fairly often in dialogue
where "because" would be grammatically correct.
I'm currently writing a fairly complex story. In it, I'm
having fun with distinguishing the characters who use the
subjunctive from those who don't.

Uther_Pendragon said:
Well, in what place?
In narration, it's a sign of a person who can't write.
In dialogue, it's realistic. I'll admit that I usually
write it as "would've."
Similarly, I use "'cause" fairly often in dialogue
where "because" would be grammatically correct.

Ditto.

Jayne

Those who can

Those who can, do.
Those who can't, teach.
Those who can't teach, teach teachers.
Those who can't teach teachers, write textbooks about teaching teachers.
Those who can't write textbooks about teaching teachers, write reviews of the textbooks.
Those who can't write reviews of the textbooks, write letters criticising the reviews.
Those who can't write letters criticising the reviews, become politicians and decide that teachers have got it all wrong and change the educational system so that teachers can't teach and therefore nobody knows how to do.

Og

Hopefully LorriLove will see this and find out her PM box is full, again.

Perdita :kiss:

Back