Pet Peeves

PierceStreet said:
You don't need one. I went five years in SF without one. I could take cabs all month for what I paid in car payment/insurance/gas/maintenance etc. and not have the worries or the delightful hour long searches for street parking (sometime with the lovely fist fight thrown in).

Cars and cities just don't mix...

Raph, who had a car in Toronto for most of 1996 and used the public transport almost always.

Have no wheels.
Have no license.
About to move back out into the country next year.
Preparing to get picked on.
Or to get license + wheels asap.

Icingsugar said:
Have no wheels.
Have no license.
About to move back out into the country next year.
Preparing to get picked on.
Or to get license + wheels asap.

Exactly. Where I live, public transportation isn't really an option. And nothing less than a 4 wheel drive will get me home some nights. :)

Whisper :rose:

I am fine in SF sans car. I only felt a little envious of auto-eroticism (e.g., backseats, truckstops, etc.)

Perdita ;)

You people who get along OK without cars must live in cities with muscular and well-developed mass transportation. I grew up in Houston and live in Jacksonville and it's been my observation that in practically every southern city with the possible exception of New Orleans, if you don't have a car, you're dead.

SlickTony said:
You people who get along OK without cars must live in cities with muscular and well-developed mass transportation. I grew up in Houston and live in Jacksonville and it's been my observation that in practically every southern city with the possible exception of New Orleans, if you don't have a car, you're dead.

The TTC in Toronto is exceptionally well-run. Subway, buses and street trams. No complaints here.. It was faster to take the tram to the tube station and ride north to see my then-fiancee than it would have been to drive, especially depending on the time of day I chose to do that.

That said, when I lived in Prescott which is a little nowheresville about an hour south of Ottawa, I'd need a car to get to my next door neighbor.

perdita said:
I am fine in SF sans car. I only felt a little envious of auto-eroticism (e.g., backseats, truckstops, etc.)
Pha. I can easily find enough erotocism in a night train or a bus stop to satisfy me.

Icingsugar said:
Pha. I can easily find enough erotocism in a night train or a bus stop to satisfy me.
An all together different genere of autoeroticism. Good point though. Then there's the auto-aquatic-eroticism, e.g., gondolas for this cosmopolitan slut :p

Perdita

If you think you get patronized buying a car go in and try to buy a truck. Every salesman immediatly assumes when I say truck I mean soccer mom suv. Nothing aggravates me more than telling them I am looking for a truck and being steered towards the latest in modern day mommy comfort.

I live in New York, the roads are for s*** when it's nice out. Throw in a few days of rain, sub artic temperatures, some snow, our unionized DOT workers, a little road salt and a plow guy who obviously was getting head while plowing the roads and there isn't a car made I could keep on the road. I want and need a 4wd truck and no matter how much I know about what I want they keep steering me away from them and towards those freaking overbuilt staion wagons.

Ironically, I can go into the local dealer back home in Mississippi and when I say truck they don't bat an eye. Although they are overly concerned with the color and a vanity mirror :rolleyes:

I have decided I will just keep having the one I have repaired until it falls apart like the car in the Blues Brothers movie. At least the mechanic here knows that I know what I am talking about when I bring it in for servicing.

-Colly

Back